Do you have this gene?

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
I get the people who want to tell me crap about their lives that I really don’t and never will care about.

My mother gets this also by the way. And the gene commentary comes from my very smart youngest sister who once told my mom after some stranger told my mom some crazy life story thing in a grocery store...

“If I got that gene from you that attracts those people, I’ll kill myself.”

We all died laughing over it.

But...

I got the gene.

The other day I’m entering a men’s room during intermission at a show. I’m making a beeline for a urinal. I am not making eye contact with anyone. I am not smiling. I am on a mission to pee. That’s it.

Some dude comes out of a stall and as I’m walking past him completely ignoring him, he starts telling me the design of the toilet paper dispenser is poor and seems to want my input on same.

I grunt a “huh...” noise and continue walking to be urinal a LONG way from his stall. He walks to the sink to wash his hands and now raises his voice to continue telling me his analysis of the particular engineering design of the toilet paper dispenser in a tone of voice like we’re long friends.

This continues while I’m peeing and until he walks out of the bathroom. I don’t think he continued the fascinating conversation he was having with himself outside the restroom with anyone else.

There were at least six or seven other people in this restroom. Probably more. I didn’t count. Remember no eye contact. I’m here to pee.

But always. Always always always. These “I am going to tell you a story” types will literally talk to the back of my head even if I put up a hand and rudely tell them I’m not interested in their story. I’ve tried it. And I’m not normally rude about it. But seriously. Talk to the hand.

My sister thinks I should start a cult with these people. But it’s damned funny the few times we see her (she lives in Texas) that we’ll go out somewhere and she’ll see it coming... “That one is going to tell you stuff. Here he comes...”

And damned if she isn’t right. And then I’m trying to get away and when we finally ditch whoever it is she just looks and me and starts laughing and says “you have it! Blame mom!” and rolls her eyes, and I’m about doubled over laughing by then.

So...

Anyone else here have “the gene”?

I’ve heard about so many personal stories about **** I’ll never ever be interested in, or even have happen to me in my lifetime, it’s incredible.

One dude spent ten minutes talking about how he got stabbed by his baby momma’s boyfriend to the back of my head in a grocery store. I only occasionally made eye contact just to make sure he wasn’t a freaking knife murderer himself or something.

The list just goes on and on.

My brother and I took a trip to Vietnam and I swear he appears in more pics taken by Vietnamese tourists than he took—I mean people approached him constantly. No one ever approached me.He says it’s because I always appear ****ed off. I consider this a gift.

My recommendation is take the time to invest in other people's lives even in the lives of annoying strangers. While at times it can be annoying you never know maybe the guy just needed someone to talk to. Maybe after losing his faith in toilet paper roll manufactures and the human race he was going to kill himself and you did nothing to help. Maybe he is just lonely and you would have been the one bright spot in his day had you been willing to take a minute out of your busy day.

Maybe you could have become best buds and he would let you fly his TBM (did you know he had one?) whenever you wanted but you blew him off.

Short answer yes.
It all comes down to mannerisms. I know based on my expression and how I am walking if people will talk to me.
So I can control it to a fair amount.
On the other hand, some people just have an open face that says come blab away no matter what they do. Sounds like you Nate....

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

I don't have this gene...in fact, I have the gene that is the complete opposite of this gene. I seem to have the gene that says, "Don't talk to this guy."

I have several friends that have the "attract weirdo gene", and after the weirdo is done talking to them, my friends always turn to me and say, "Why didn't the guy want to talk to you?" I just smile. I like my gene.

I don't have this gene...in fact, I have the gene that is the complete opposite of this gene. I seem to have the gene that says, "Don't talk to this guy."
Almost certainly a complex trait with polygenic origins. I have it too, My presence seems to chase off the wary, especially wimmin. Thankfully, it doesn't work on kids, who seem to find me irresistible for some reason. And yes, I do try hard not to act like a creep.

You've obviously never encountered a poor TP design and installation (since you poop at home, not at work). Having worked in a building 5 years where they made the worst decision with every available option (left vs right, high vs low, forward vs back) I totally understand how the guy felt. He just had to vent to somebody.

And yes, I think I have that gene.

Practice the Chuck Norris stare. Repeatedly say to yourself "I will tell you your opinion and when you may speak of it." Do both for at least 20 minutes each day. Say it with gusto and meaning. No stranger will ever speak to you again...

Hey Nate ... did I ever tell you the story about the triple turbo cummins that you came "< ... THIS ...> close to getting for free? All you had to do was listen to a little story, pretend to be just a little bit interested, ... but NO! you just couldn't do it, could you? :D

My brother and I took a trip to Vietnam and I swear he appears in more pics taken by Vietnamese tourists than he took—I mean people approached him constantly. No one ever approached me.He says it’s because I always appear ****ed off. I consider this a gift.

I get that a lot, over there.

I seem to have a related gene where strangers approach me on the street asking for directions.

Yes, I tell them where to go. o_O

No, really!

-Skip

Same here...

I dunno Everskyward, I doubt you would have been hired at your 135 gig if it was the *complete* opposite!

Usually pilots that give off the “I don’t like interacting with other humans” vibe wind up at the airlines. :)

Put on a black shirt and a white collar.
You get the extremes, on steroids.
People will jump out windows to avoid you, or smash through doors to talk to you.
This is NOT hyperbole. Two actual examples from my life as a pastor.

You know, I started to make a comment in my post about that to head a remark like that off at the pass. I had a feeling someone was going to say that. lol.

It seemed like you might have been trolling for a smart ass remark and well you know me, always willing to oblige. :)

I was somewhat surprised though that no one beat me to the punch. POA is slipping.

Sooooo, you dislike people who do in real life what you do on the internet? ;)

Aren't you the super long post information overload POA guy?

LOL. Quite different. Y’all come here willingly and you’re not taking a whizz. Well maybe you are, but I can’t see it to avoid talking to you while you’re doing that. Ha.

My recommendation is take the time to invest in other people's lives even in the lives of annoying strangers. While at times it can be annoying you never know maybe the guy just needed someone to talk to. Maybe after losing his faith in toilet paper roll manufactures and the human race he was going to kill himself and you did nothing to help. Maybe he is just lonely and you would have been the one bright spot in his day had you been willing to take a minute out of your busy day.

Maybe you could have become best buds and he would let you fly his TBM (did you know he had one?) whenever you wanted but you blew him off.

LOL, sure. Haha.

He was trying to get you into that stall.

Hahahahaha. Yikes. With ten or more other people in the bathroom. I sure hope not. That’s one sick dude.

You gotta admit, Nate, he nailed it! :)

Not really.

You tell me this story like you think I care about it...

I tell it to the board. What you do with it from there is up to your scroll wheel and your boredom level. :)

So you got the "It's all about me gene?"

Lord no. I’ll happily talk to the guy anywhere but having him talking to the back of my head while taking a leak. Gimme a break here. Only politicians would carry on a conversation while ****ing. Oh wait, kinda the same but BS is coming out of their mouth instead of the usual end. :)

I got the gene.
GREAT! Now you gave it to me too! Obviously, it is an infection that spreads over them Ynterwebs.

Nah, j/k. I've had it for a while. It's like an STD, can't get rid of it.

It's like if I had a message on my forehead that says I give a sh*t.
The strange this is that I'm a man and more importantly a guy. (to those uninitiated: the difference btw a man and a guy is that a man doesn't care ... while a guy just doesn't give a sh*t)
So often I have to brave it to be on the polite side but whenever I can, I break people's boring BS off and try to get away. If I can't, I at least try to steer the conversation toward something more pleasant, like airplanes. LOL j/k

So no, you're not the only one.
Story of my life.
Oh wait, you did NOT care for the story of my life. Gotcha. D'oh! ;)

It's like if I had a message on my forehead that says I give a sh*t.

LOL. That’s exactly it!

It comes in handy once in a while. The customer who wants to talk about their cyst they had removed or something while I’m typing commands into my keyboard to fix the broken computer system they originally called about...

But out in the general public, it’s a curse.

I can be fixing a car by the side of the road and someone will stop to tell me the history (inaccurately) of Chevy or Ford and won’t even hand me a damn wrench.

Nate, I find it impossible to believe there was a point in time in which you were not talking.

Therefore, the person probably heard you talking about something and assumed you were up for conversation, or crazy and taking pity on you and didn't want anyone else to think you were crazy.

I rest my case. ;)

My wife ‘suffers’ from a variation of that. It’s not so much that people will randomly approach her out of the blue but strangers who have a legitimate reason for a simple interaction (eg store clerk when purchasing something, pedicure lady, waitress etc) will tell her ridiculously private and personal stuff almost right away. And she isn’t asking probing questions. I’ve witnessed it and it’s quite funny. She seems to hear the phrase “wow, I can’t believe I just told you that! I haven’t even told my best friend or my sister” seemingly every week.

Short answer yes.
It all comes down to mannerisms. I know based on my expression and how I am walking if people will talk to me.
So I can control it to a fair amount.
On the other hand, some people just have an open face that says come blab away no matter what they do. Sounds like you Nate....

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

That is my personal experience as well. I’m pretty good at peripheral awareness and can tell pretty quickly if someone is ‘body languaging’ intent to approach. Depending on my mood, context, etc... I can either shut it down pretty easily by my own body language or encourage it. Probably works 90% of the time. It was super useful when I was single in bars and still moderately useful now as a married person who just doesn’t want to be bothered by random strangers most of the time. I don’t get to use the “yes, it’s ok to come over and say hi” thing as much these days though. Mostly in professional networking environments. Part of all this in my case, is that at 6'6”, it isn’t unusual for me to stand out in a crowd so I have a lot of practice with people first noticing me and then sometimes wanting to talk (for whatever reason).

I dunno Everskyward, I doubt you would have been hired at your 135 gig if it was the *complete* opposite!

Usually pilots that give off the “I don’t like interacting with other humans” vibe wind up at the airlines. :)
Yeah, but that’s at work with customers and co-workers. I don’t think I seem very approachable to strangers, at least they don’t usually come up to me and start talking...

Same. People automatically assume I’m an ******* and go the other way

Nate, I find it impossible to believe there was a point in time in which you were not talking.

Therefore, the person probably heard you talking about something and assumed you were up for conversation, or crazy and taking pity on you and didn't want anyone else to think you were crazy.

I rest my case. ;)

LOL. I definitely don’t talk to anyone, even the voices in my head, while trying to take a leak. Hahaha.

LOL. That’s exactly it!
But out in the general public, it’s a curse.
So out of curiosity, how would it work if two guys who don't give a sh*t (like, let's say, the two of us) got together over a beer? What would they talk about? I guess for pilots it would be easy: airplanes, flying, gorgeous girls. (in that order)

Yeah, but that’s at work with customers and co-workers.
That's one thing that bugs me about my co-workers. I do not know how to politely tell them "stop saying dumb sh*t, it will make me not want to work with you if you show me how incompetent and narrow-minded you are". Somebody help me figure out a PC phrase, please.

That's one thing that bugs me about my co-workers. I do not know how to politely tell them "stop saying dumb sh*t, it will make me not want to work with you if you show me how incompetent and narrow-minded you are". Somebody help me figure out a PC phrase, please.
I was once counseled to use the term "fantastic" in response to folks saying dumb things. Now I rarely follow that counselling (surprise!) but if my response to you is ever "fantastic" know that you have been told to stop saying dumb stuff.

So out of curiosity, how would it work if two guys who don't give a sh*t (like, let's say, the two of us) got together over a beer? What would they talk about? I guess for pilots it would be easy: airplanes, flying, gorgeous girls. (in that order)

“Bless your heart” supposedly works in the South, but I’m a Yankee, so I don’t know.

Probably just ask them if they need their chakra’s aligned or some essential oils or some other stupid crap they’re always talking about to change the subject. LOL. Maybe tell them you can’t talk right now, you’re flight planning for a chemtrail run later today. Hahaha.

Back