When to schedule the written PPL test?

MacFlier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MacFlier
So I'm 14hrs into the training, have solo'ed already but yet to do the x-country flights.
I have been going thru all the ASA material, have also gone once thru their test book.
When do you think is a good time to schedule the written test? Close to the end of training, like 40-50hrs into it or as soon as you feel you're ready?

I don't see any reason to push it off. Get it done.

Its good for 2 years so take it when you are scoring 90's on the practice test. Phase of training doesn't matter as long as you plan to complete training before the test expires.

Its good for 2 years so take it when you are scoring 90's on the practice test. Phase of training doesn't matter as long as you plan to complete training before the test expires.
I'm going to start taking the timed practice tests soon to see how I do. So far, I've gone thru the practice test book but mostly looking at learning than getting the questions answered right, although I've only missed a few.

The earlier the better for the written test in my opinion. You'll learn stuff in there that can also be useful for your training overall. Since it is good for two years there's no point in delaying it. Just study for it and knock it out one afternoon

Have you taken any practice tests yet? If you are killing them then take test and get it over with. If your not getting the scores your looking for then keep studying. I think that there is a ripe time to take a test on new knowledge. Key is timing that correctly.

Get it done, so you don’t have to stress over it and your CFI will follow up throughout your training to add to it.

Have you taken any practice tests yet? If you are killing them then take test and get it over with. If your not getting the scores your looking for then keep studying. I think that there is a ripe time to take a test on new knowledge. Key is timing that correctly.
I've only taken the one in the book. I did pretty well, around 85% right, but did not time myself doing it.

So I'm 14hrs into the training, have solo'ed already but yet to do the x-country flights.
I have been going thru all the ASA material, have also gone once thru their test book.
When do you think is a good time to schedule the written test? Close to the end of training, like 40-50hrs into it or as soon as you feel you're ready?

Old school is you should have the written done before solo xc.

I've only taken the one in the book. I did pretty well, around 85% right, but did not time myself doing it.
The good news is you have three hours to take the test, so time is unlikely to be an issue unless you're reaaal slow.

That said, I'd wait until you're consistently scoring in the 90s.

Download the Sportys test prep app for $10. Best $10 you’ll ever spend studying for the test.

I paid the $50 for the Gleim online question bank. Went through and answered all 800+ questions in the bank the first time. Then did 6 practice exams. Was scoring in the 90s by the end of it, and that's how I scored on the written. Was able to knock out the whole thing in a week. However, I have most of my flying done and I had started studying before my first flight, I just got busy flying and forgot about the written for a while.

Back