Foreflight 10.1 Released...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Noticed it while making sure the iOS devices were up to date on things while I'm still at the office with "real" Internet today. LOL...

Not much at all in there for standard users or even "Pro" users... they're obviously chasing the flight department market and others...

Vast majority of the updates are for Performance users or Flight Department users.

Definitely not dancing with those that brought them much, anymore.

They have to go where the real money is.

It was real money. Just not enough.

Kinda sounds like that LogTen Pro guy... and I dumped him, too... :)

When they get all needy and want more money and more gifts and provide less and less...

Wait... we talking about software or girls? LOL... :) :) :)

Well, anyway...

You all are hilarious. When the basic functions are all working well, the advanced stuff comes next. What do you think is missing from the basic stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You all are hilarious. When the basic functions are all working well, the advanced stuff comes next. What do you think is missing from the basic stuff?

Still getting all new features for being anchor subscribers, long before flight departments would even LOOK at Foreflight, and thought tablets in cockpits were "cute". Loyalty discount.

Feel free to charge $400/year to the naysayers and flight departments... don't care... but... four tiers of users now on rental software???? Seriously Foreflight????

At least we can all get bent over without lube by Garmin, twice as equally. (Only two versions.) Hahaha... :) :) :)

@gsengle if they're going to create a tier per year now that "basic" is done, might as well just make EVERY feature in the silly thing, a-la carte... hahahaha...

$4/year for this, $2/year for that, turn that one off for $15/year and save it if you don't use it... :)

@gsengle if they're going to create a tier per year now that "basic" is done, might as well just make EVERY feature in the silly thing, a-la carte... hahahaha...

$4/year for this, $2/year for that, turn that one off for $15/year and save it if you don't use it... :)

If you don’t like it don’t buy it. Given their market share I’d venture to say people think they are getting good value. It’s really pretty fantastic.

If you don’t like it don’t buy it. Given their market share I’d venture to say people think they are getting good value. It’s really pretty fantastic.

Seriously? I post about actual content of the software, and you're doing that lame-ass "if you don't like it" crap? It's a discussion board... we discuss things here, like rental software becoming less valuable over time.

Seriously. I've probably been using it longer than you have. Stuff it up your tailfeathers if you have nothing more useful than that to add.

Oh goodie... it's "fantastic"... well, that's going to cover the full review in Aviation Consumer... hahahaha... sheeeeessh.

When did it initially release anyway? I couldn't find that info on their website. I was a relatively early adopter, Feb 2011 on a fricken iPad 1.

Foreflight is the only reason I own an i anything. I certainly wish they'd come out with an android version.

Seriously? I post about actual content of the software, and you're doing that lame-ass "if you don't like it" crap? It's a discussion board... we discuss things here, like rental software becoming less valuable over time.

Seriously. I've probably been using it longer than you have. Stuff it up your tailfeathers if you have nothing more useful than that to add.

Oh goodie... it's "fantastic"... well, that's going to cover the full review in Aviation Consumer... hahahaha... sheeeeessh.

Even more hilarious. I asked what features you’re missing in a basic tier. No answer, just a stuff it up your tail feathers ad hominem attack lol.

I’ve used it since it’s first year. I’ve tried a bunch of others. I have been in product design, product management and software development. I’ve been flying for 25 years both personally and professionally.

A good product adding pro features doesn’t make the basic tier features any less valuable. Again, feel free to offer up what the basic tier is missing.

Just kinda funny the ones who seem just to enjoy complaining. The reality is you don’t have to buy it and they don’t owe ya anything.

The stuff that was missing is exactly what they are adding, the stuff that makes it work for pro pilots, flight departments, even airlines etc. Makes sense to me.

I have some user interface quibbles but it’s a pretty remarkable package that’s been continuously evolving in quality and features.

I too have been using since it came out. It quickly got to the point where it did everything i could think of and a good deal of stuff I just didn’t have the bandwidth to play with. I’ve been flying a paperless IFR cockpit for 7 years where the only the only constantly evolving component is the FF iPad. I too am an iAnything because of FF.

I am most impressed with their Aeronautical charts which more fully exploit the digital platform. I rarely pull up the Sectional and only pull up the Low Enroute when I get an airways clearance.

I just don’t have the time or desire to critique or brainstorm stuff I’d like. What I need is a review of what features I should be using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Even more hilarious. I asked what features you’re missing in a basic tier. No answer, just a stuff it up your tail feathers ad hominem attack lol.

I’ve used it since it’s first year. I’ve tried a bunch of others. I have been in product design, product management and software development. I’ve been flying for 25 years both personally and professionally.

A good product adding pro features doesn’t make the basic tier features any less valuable. Again, feel free to offer up what the basic tier is missing.

Just kinda funny the ones who seem just to enjoy complaining. The reality is you don’t have to buy it and they don’t owe ya anything.

The stuff that was missing is exactly what they are adding, the stuff that makes it work for pro pilots, flight departments, even airlines etc. Makes sense to me.

I have some user interface quibbles but it’s a pretty remarkable package that’s been continuously evolving in quality and features.

You know you can turn that silly Tapatalk ad off in the app, right?

I didn’t answer the basic tier question because I’m a “Pro” user of ForeFlight. Well, apparently the bottom tier “pro” these days. Call it “not really Pro anymore”.

Call it crappy marketing if you like, but when you buy the “Pro” version of something and pay for it for years, it’s a bit of a slap to the face to have two more tiers added above that tier, as a user who paid extra and promoted the software for many years longer than their corporate flight departments they’re now courting.

Hell, many of the features they’ve added above “Pro” are probably straight from long time “Pro” user comments here and elsewhere, and came from their own ticket system internally for feature requests. If they have one. I know I certainly got no feedback on any of the features requested that were actually added later.

You’d think when you close those internal tickets you might say, “Hey we have that feature now...” but I know, most places don’t have their crap together that well. Plus in their case they always put it out with a higher price tag. “Hey, thanks for the idea, you can have it for 20% more money every year until you die, thanks!” LOL.

Rental software. Ick.

The idea here is, you RENT software and pay for the top tier and expect you’ll get the features they add. You’re not BUYING ForeFlight. It’s a rental.

But your response does show the hubris of the modern software company.

“We build great things, patched continuously for bugs in our original things because we weren’t careful, and you get to pay for it continuously and increase your payments whenever we arbitrarily decide a feature is so good we can bend you over for it.”

The “Performance” add on and the secret feature set only flight departments with shared accounts can utilize (like distributing documents which would be a GREAT club feature, as would getting the bulk discounts available to flight departments through a club...) are just them chasing new markets and leaving the old market wondering why they’re paying a premium to get nothing in each new release.

Super PR job.

Especially with YouTube just slathered lately in ForeFlight marketing and complete commercials in every major YouTuber’s channels for them.

It appears my annual payment is paying for Marketing and not new features for MY version.

That’s the impression one gets from their current strategy anyway. They’re chasing the corporate bucks. No advanced features for the people who made their company even possible.

They could have been honest about it. When they came out with “Pro” just call it “special payment package number one... of many to come”.

Remember also that the “Pro” tier went UP in price and one could only barely find the link to renew ONCE at the original price, as it was carefully hidden from view on the purchase page.

It’s hit a point where if one is going to be bent over on price, and has a Garmin panel, one might as well let Garmin have the cash. In equal price tiers, they’re about neck and neck now. And with Garmin you get Concierge which is a big deal for updates.

Paying more for Performance Plus or whatever the new “cool kids” tier is, isn’t worth it. Garmin already added it to their iOS version and as @Sinistar pointed out, does need to add it to their Android version still, but that’s at the lower price point of “Pro” on ForeFlight.

And yes, I did ask if they’d do a “club” setup for their “flight department” stuff including the discounts the bulk buyers get. The answers were mixed. They don’t have that market in mind.

Increasing the price of rental software by adding new tiers every year isn’t a good idea. I’d buy your argument if it was an actual software purchase, but it’s not. It won’t operate properly without a subscription.

It's overkill for my sort of VFR flying, but it still think it is a good value. The ADSB via Stratux let me keep an eye on some thunderstorms in Iowa about 40 miles distant. It was nice to know they weren't getting closer.

Alas, even behemoths like Garmin and Jeppesen, with their piles of cash, can’t produce anything better. Must be something hard about it. ;)

Garmin is nearly on equal footing with them now and even has some features I would actually describe as “done better”. No special charge for their “Performance” thing as one example. They also BEAT ForeFlight to the logging game, as I recall, but I can’t speak for either one’s prowess in logging, since I won’t log in anything that requires a subscription unless it’s a dedicated logging app.

That’s vendor lock-in that’ll keep someone on the EFB when something better for them comes along, for no good reason whatsoever. And even the annoying LogTen guy and his subscription model that screwed his original customers truly has a better logging app than both EFBs. There’s also a couple of other dedicated logbooks that are light years better and @EricBe ‘s completely free one that also kicks both of their butts. So logbook use is a solid NO for any EFB app.

Jepp can’t write software to save their ass, and never has been able to. Jepp’s saving grace is International. Always has been since the chatting world went digital. Domestically they blow chunks.

When did it initially release anyway? I couldn't find that info on their website. I was a relatively early adopter, Feb 2011 on a fricken iPad 1.

Foreflight is the only reason I own an i anything. I certainly wish they'd come out with an android version.
ForeFlight and the nonexistence of an Android tablet when I started were my reasons.

But unless there is suddenly a significant movement by a larger aviation market to Android, I think it becomes less likely as time and the complexity of the product go on.

Keep in mind also @gsengle that I started the thread specifically to talk about THIS dot-release. Not the product as a whole.

THIS release has very little value for a basic or “old forgotten Pro” customer. That was the point.

We’ve morphed into the usual arguments about the products as wholes, which is fine... certainly I don’t care about thread creep, I encourage and do it regularly.

But your original attack about it was unfounded.

Describe what the typical basic or “old Pro” user paying the higher price for the privilege gets from this update. It ain’t much.

Lots of updates for those “above Pro” tiers this time.

It’s just a hint as to where they’re going, is all I’m sayin’. Rental software with new tiers for mo’ money every year.

We’ll see if Garmin is smart enough to not do it now that they’re nearly neck and neck. If Garmin price locks as a way to keep their customer base (who are buying overpriced panel gear and probably autopilots too...) happy, great.

We shall see... ForeFlight is headed down the path they think they have to go to survive it.

They also BEAT ForeFlight to the logging game...

I know they beat them wit vector maps. I was going to get GP for that very reason until FF came out with it. I thought I'd give FF a try since they came out with vector maps and follow the masses and just never bothered to really try GP once I actually got aviation software.

I know they beat them wit vector maps. I was going to get GP for that very reason until FF came out with it. I thought I'd give FF a try since they came out with vector maps and follow the masses and just never bothered to really try GP once I actually got aviation software.

Yeah they did. I can’t decide if vector maps are worth either of their efforts on it though.

Knowing the state of modern software development this seems to just put a whole lot of error-prone code between me and the data that was clearly visible on the charts themselves, especially considering pinch-zoom works fine on all platforms.

Hoping some coder didn’t write the filters wrong for what I’m seeing, doesn’t give a warm fuzzy to this old tech support guy. Not in the slightest.

About all it does is turn the things it does show “right side up” for track up, and even that’s just a tap away from flipping to north up to read the chart and tap again to flip it back, if one likes track up. I can do either, so I don’t care really.

Seems to be an awful lot of coding for very little actually gained going to vector maps. I can’t think of a single scenario where it’s truly better than just looking at an official chart. Can you guys?

Plus if I want vector I can just look at the GTN since it doesn’t do and never did real charts. The EFB is for charts. The panel is for vector.

same here

I always keep the 'aeronautical' map on because it helps define the VFR and IFR chart better for me. Makes the airways clearer, airports, etc. Keeps all the names upright in track up mode. Plus without it on you can't tap the airports and get the info, metars, etc. unless you go to the airports page. I even just use it by itself a lot because it's just less clutter. I don't think I would ever use FF without the vector map on. For me it's the pivotal feature that just makes all the other maps better.

I always keep the 'aeronautical' map on because it helps define the VFR and IFR chart better for me. Makes the airways clearer, airports, etc. Keeps all the names upright in track up mode. Plus without it on you can't tap the airports and get the info, metars, etc. unless you go to the airports page. I even just use it by itself a lot because it's just less clutter. I don't think I would ever use FF without the vector map on. For me it's the pivotal feature that just makes all the other maps better.

Is THAT why that stopped working?! You used to be able to do that from the airport dot on the regular chart.

If that’s been removed, that’s utterly annoying. I’ll have to try that out.

I’ve done what you’re doing, left both on... it gets somewhat cluttered that way sometimes. Really the original “moving chart” was just fine and showed literally everything the FAA wanted me to see...

The names upright thing I mentioned, but tapping the little compass N/S icon flips the view from track to north and back instantly, and doesn’t cause a massive slowdown like all this other stuff has, so it’s really simple and effective when I can’t figure out what the upside down thing says.

But I read stuff upside down and backward anyway. Don’t know where I picked up on that ability, but if there’s papers facing someone in front of them and I’m across the table, I can read it nearly as easily as if it’s in front of me right side up. Mostly these days it’s too obvious I’m doing it because of my progressives more than a problem actually reading it upside down and backward. Ha.

Still getting all new features for being anchor subscribers, long before flight departments would even LOOK at Foreflight, and thought tablets in cockpits were "cute". Loyalty discount.

Feel free to charge $400/year to the naysayers and flight departments... don't care... but... four tiers of users now on rental software???? Seriously Foreflight????

At least we can all get bent over without lube by Garmin, twice as equally. (Only two versions.) Hahaha... :) :) :)

Wait til all the new transponder are installed to see a FF and Pilot price increase.

It used to be the case that the airspace altitude labels (ie bravo shelves) could go off the display at some levels of zoom; the "dynamic airspace labels" feature fixes this. Now they just need to add a declutter toggle for the yellow tinting for populated places...

Last edited:
Anyone else seeing these basemap glitches near DCA and ADW as you slowly vary the zoom?IMG_0372.PNGIMG_0032.PNG

@SkyDog58 ....

Using FF on my iPhone 6 vanilla, I just looked at the area around KDCA and did not see this "tear" or "glitch".

In one of the "not around much anymore" online planners, and I think it was one of AOPA's old systems, there used to be an area of the chart that had what looked to be a barcode.

@SkyDog58 ....

Using FF on my iPhone 6 vanilla, I just looked at the area around KDCA and did not see this "tear" or "glitch".

In one of the "not around much anymore" online planners, and I think it was one of AOPA's old systems, there used to be an area of the chart that had what looked to be a barcode.

Hi Mike. Any particular reason you tagged me on this? Previous thread or something?

Noticed it while making sure the iOS devices were up to date on things while I'm still at the office with "real" Internet today. LOL...

Not much at all in there for standard users or even "Pro" users... they're obviously chasing the flight department market and others...

Nate,

Don't get your panties in a bunch. ForeFlight tends to put out a release about once a month, with whatever new features are ready and stable. A single release with fewer new features than you want doesn't mean that they've given up on giving new features to non-Performance users. Plus, the Performance version is pretty new so I would expect there to be more low-hanging fruit for them to add in the flight department/performance version, while the parts of it that you and I use represent a very mature product, so even if the releases were a bit unbalanced right now I wouldn't be so offended.

Vast majority of the updates are for Performance users or Flight Department users.

Going down the bullet pointed list, I see 22 new features. 5 of those are for Europe, which is a brand-new market for them that has plenty of potential non-flight department users. So, I'll exclude those from the discussion.

That means 17 new features for US pilots. Of those, 3 are part of the "shared filed flights" which doesn't even make sense as a single pilot since you've had your filed flights all along. Of the other 14, only three are Performance-level only. So, you got 11 new features and you're bitching about the three that aren't for you?

Definitely not dancing with those that brought them much, anymore.

:rolleyes:

You've got 11 new ones, out of 14 that you didn't already have as a single pilot. And like I said, the balance of features in a single release is not representative of the amount of effort being expended. Features are sometimes pushed back a release so that they can keep the cadence of releases going while maintaining good quality control.

Where do you get four tiers? Basic, Pro, Performance. That's three. And I'd say that's a pretty good number to allow for the varying use cases. Basic is good for occasional, recreational, VFR pilots. Pro is good for those of us who fly a lot, are instrument rated, and use our airplanes for travel. Performance is good for those who fly professionally and/or own turbine aircraft. The amount of features those three groups use is quite different.

IIRC, ForeFlight started out before the app store even existed - It began as a mobile web site. Version 1.0 of the app came out about as soon as the App Store started, and as subscriptions weren't yet possible, it was a $75 app in a world of $0.99 apps, so it got noticed by plenty of non-aviators because it was so expensive. Back in the 1.0 days, it was strictly a planning tool - You had to have an internet connection, nothing was stored on device.

They've come a long way.

The “Performance” add on and the secret feature set only flight departments with shared accounts can utilize (like distributing documents which would be a GREAT club feature, as would getting the bulk discounts available to flight departments through a club...)

You can already do this... I think. I know you can link a Dropbox account to it on the normal version, and I think if you merely created a shared Dropbox account and had each club member link it (via plan.foreflight.com/account -> Integrations) then everyone would get the documents in the Apps/ForeFlight folder on that account.

That’s the impression one gets from their current strategy anyway. They’re chasing the corporate bucks. No advanced features for the people who made their company even possible.

Which Performance features would you like to have, Nate? Do you have a company fuel policy to adhere to? Do you want to be alerted passing through 18,000 feet? (Actually, you do get that feature already I think.) Do you want to be able to save a buck fifty in fuel on your next flight because it turns out the extra climb *just* makes sense with the headwind and two knot TAS increase?

Paying more for Performance Plus or whatever the new “cool kids” tier is, isn’t worth it.

EXACTLY!!!!! Unless you have a turbine or fly one for work, Performance doesn't really do anything for you... Like I said in a post a couple days ago. You aren't missing anything, you seem to just be angry that other people get features they need (and you don't).

And yes, I did ask if they’d do a “club” setup for their “flight department” stuff including the discounts the bulk buyers get. The answers were mixed. They don’t have that market in mind.

I thought about this a while back, but it just doesn't make sense to treat the club as a "flight department." I'm sure they expect to be paid all at once, on one card, to justify the discount. So what do you do with all of the time-staggered subscriptions that club members already have? What do you do when someone leaves the club, or someone else joins? What do you do when some club members want Basic, some want Pro, and some want Performance for some reason? And how does the club bill the individual members for their share of the club subscription?

After thinking through how we might handle such a thing in our club, I decided it wasn't even worth asking about.

Garmin is nearly on equal footing with them now and even has some features I would actually describe as “done better”. No special charge for their “Performance” thing as one example.

I have the premium Garmin Pilot subscription in addition to my ForeFlight subscription. Garmin does very little that ForeFlight doesn't, and every time Garmin comes out with a release, I read the release notes and think, "Yup, ForeFlight's had all this for a year or three already."

Were it not for Database Concierge, I wouldn't bother with the GP subscription.

I won’t log in anything that requires a subscription unless it’s a dedicated logging app.

That’s vendor lock-in that’ll keep someone on the EFB when something better for them comes along, for no good reason whatsoever.

The only thing I require of any logging app is that I am able to export my data at any time so I can use another tool if I choose to at some point.

The best part about logging in ForeFlight is that it's mostly already done for me, and attaches a track log! That's pretty cool.

Is THAT why that stopped working?! You used to be able to do that from the airport dot on the regular chart.

If that’s been removed, that’s utterly annoying. I’ll have to try that out.

No, the behavior hasn't changed on that in a LONG time.

If you have a layer up that puts something on top of the airport, a simple tap of the thing on top of the airport will take you into airport data. For example, if you're showing fuel prices and you tap on a price, it'll take you to the "FBOs" pane for the airport, while having the Ceiling layer enabled means a tap takes you to the METAR pane instead. Having the Aeronautical layer enabled on top of the chart means that if you have an airport icon showing from the Aero layer, you can tap and see the Info pane.

Without any layers enabled - IE, just showing the chart - You tap and hold for about 1/2 second and then tap "Details." That has been that way since around version 6 or so, a LONG time ago. Of course, if the airport is in your flight plan, just a tap will still bring up the info. For a version or so after that, there was a preference to choose whether it was just tap or tap-and-hold, but the tap option was removed in favor of having the option to bring up a specific chart and/or chart legends right on the Maps page. (Preferences -> Map View -> Map Touch Action).

I hope this clears a few things up, and lets people know that ForeFlight hasn't forgotten us little guys... But I expect our resident curmudgeon will still find a way to be offended.

Heads up @flyingcheeshead fanboy post alert!

(The only time you’ll EVER get Kent to post a post as long as one of mine is to criticize Apple or ForeFlight. LOL!)

I like the vague “feature counting” thing without a reference. That was fun.

https://foreflight.com/releases/10-1/

I count twelve things on there. Removing the pay to play stuff...

1. Delay emails? Yawner.

2. Moving labels around around the aeronautical map style, is just maintenance trying to get it more useable than an actual chart. They’ll be working on that for a while yet.

3. Trip Assistant: Useless. I have Google Maps and can add.

4. Terrain Alerts: Garmin already had it. Catch-up. (But that thing where you said nothing Garmin ever did was ever ahead of FF was cute. GP alerts on terrain were happening over a year ago. I can even look up the exact date I got one in my log if you like, because the thing scared the holy hell out of me yelling about some wind farm towers on a ridge line a mile ahead while I was in the pattern at an airport to land. Hah. Long before we had the GTN.)

4. Airport details in Synth Vision: Saves a click I guess. Not exactly earth shattering.

Everything in the bullets at the bottom of that page: Yawn. The non-standard waypoint thing is just maintenance fixes for a feature already there. We’ll call it #5 to be fair.

Which amazing features did I miss that are worth maintaining a Pro subscription?

Remember I was forced up to Pro from whatever the previous thing was called where I could ditch a bunch of the early Pro stuff and not pay for it, like the Aero “charts”. They’re just not very compelling to me. Garmin does them too, and they’re meh. Real charts convey more information faster. I haven’t found a scenario yet where they don’t.

So... price is going up annually and I got the above. Not really compelling.

But really not compelling if it continues to lock me into Apple products.

It renews at the end of the month, and so far I haven’t found anything I couldn’t live without by jumping to GP for good. Or at least as Primary so I can exit the Apple ecosystem whenever the need finally arises.

Like soon, since I’m not probably not buying another iPad new. And this Mini running FF is way annoyingly slow now. I keep turning OFF new features to get the old speed back. It’s hit the point where that’s not working anymore.

ForeFlight is headed for the “I’ll maybe keep paying for it just for students who like it as a tax write off for the instructor business. Probably recommend WingX if they need something cheap, and Garmin if they need something full featured.” mode here.

Gimme a “gee whiz” reason to keep it as Primary. Include the fact that I don’t want a bigger tablet in the cockpit in the response. They’ve hitched their wagon to Apple, and that’s probably the critical reason I’m soon to be leaving them. Better to send money to the company that isn’t tied at the hip to Apple’s bad hardware decisions and outrageous pricing.

ForeFlight is worth their price, even with the increase and software rental nature of it. But it’s not worth another $2000 hardware upgrade to have the platforms to run it on.

ForeFlight is worth their price, even with the increase and software rental nature of it. But it’s not worth another $2000 hardware upgrade to have the platforms to run it on.
While I too have been getting the "you are not the customer" vibe from both Apple and FF recently, a few hundred bucks for an iPad that lasts a few years in the cockpit before turning into a hand-me-down + $150/year for Pro just isn't that much.

Heads up @flyingcheeshead fanboy post alert!

Had to bring some balance to the @denverpilot curmudgeon post. ;)

(The only time you’ll EVER get Kent to post a post as long as one of mine is to criticize Apple or ForeFlight. LOL!)

Not true. It's merely one of the subjects I know a lot about and had the time to respond. If I had ever opened your Tesla Troll thread I probably would have posted a lot more... But haven't had the time and don't want to feed the troll.

I like the vague “feature counting” thing without a reference. That was fun.

I was using the release notes in the App Store.

I count twelve things on there. Removing the pay to play stuff...

Forget removing it... Your main argument seemed to be that foreflight had forgotten you. Of the 11 things they listed on the page you linked, 8 worked at your subscription level. Just because you don't use them, doesn't mean ForeFlight has forgotten about the Pro-level users as you asserted.

1. Delay emails? Yawner.

Agreed... But that doesn't mean a pro user doesn't get them.

2. Moving labels around around the aeronautical map style, is just maintenance trying to get it more useable than an actual chart. They’ll be working on that for a while yet.

It makes the Aeronautical layer much more useful than it was, and allows a lot more tailoring to one's preferences. I still prefer the charts over the Aero layer (though right now I usually have both on) so I haven't exercised this as much as someone who would use the Aero layer exclusively would.

Frankly, I've always thought about the Aero layer a lot like you - I'm using FF for charts and can read in whatever direction, so I don't find it particularly useful, but it was a much-requested feature before it existed, so I'm sure this is a big deal for some.

However, the always-visible airspace altitudes are a huge improvement, and well worth leaving the Aero layer on top of the chart. Maybe you just need to fly with it to realize this.

3. Trip Assistant: Useless. I have Google Maps and can add.

And Trip Assistant is for Performance subscriptions only.

4. Terrain Alerts: Garmin already had it. Catch-up.

I think ForeFlight already had terrain alerts too. However, they were like the runway entry alerts and were kind of useless if you weren't on the Maps page as it was just text. Now, regardless of where you are in the app, the Hazard Advisor style view pops up. What does Garmin's alert look like?

BTW, I didn't say Garmin never did anything first, merely that all of the "new" features I've seen in their release notes since I got it have been features ForeFlight already had.

4. Airport details in Synth Vision: Saves a click I guess. Not exactly earth shattering.

You used #4 already. And I agree - I don't use the SV page much, but for those who do, it's certainly an improvement. Maybe with some additional features in SV I'll use it more.

Which amazing features did I miss that are worth maintaining a Pro subscription?

According to the subscription page, here's what you would be missing if you didn't maintain a Pro subscription:

Geo-Referenced Approaches & Charts
Plates on Maps
Hazard Advisor
Profile View
Synthetic Vision
Cloud Documents
Icing, Turbulence, & Surface Analysis

And of the 11 new features I count on that page (for civilians), three require Performance, two require Pro. So again, it's not like you're not getting anything.

Also, what feature is it exactly that you've been clamoring for that you didn't get? :dunno:

It renews at the end of the month, and so far I haven’t found anything I couldn’t live without by jumping to GP for good. Or at least as Primary so I can exit the Apple ecosystem whenever the need finally arises.

TBH, I won't miss your bitching about them. I look forward to seeing you ***** about GP instead, especially on the Android version.

Gimme a “gee whiz” reason to keep it as Primary. Include the fact that I don’t want a bigger tablet in the cockpit in the response. They’ve hitched their wagon to Apple, and that’s probably the critical reason I’m soon to be leaving them. Better to send money to the company that isn’t tied at the hip to Apple’s bad hardware decisions and outrageous pricing.

IMO, better to spend money on the company that isn't wasting their time making their app work on a billion different hardware configurations and directs their resources to new features instead. Were I a developer, I probably wouldn't bother with Android. It's more difficult to develop for Android (because of having to support so much different hardware, there isn't anything inherently wrong with the platform itself), and Android users are less willing to pay for software.

$2000??? The most expensive iPad there is costs $1279 and it's not one you'd want to use in the cockpit (the giant 12.9" iPad Pro). Lose the giant display and the extraneous storage and get a 10.5" 256GB with cellular and you're down to $929 and still overkill for the cockpit. A more reasonably-sized 9.7" one takes you down to $559.

I've always been curious about EFB market share from a business perspective. I know Foreflight is the assumed market leader but if that's the case by how much? Has anyone ever seen a pie chart or statistics showing EFB by platform (Ipad, Android, C64), then a breakout of various EFB products and compare that to the active pilot population?

Personally I used Foreflight and then went to WingX because I have a Navworx setup for ADSB. Lately in my buddies VFR only RV-10 I use the free WingX version for flight planning/NOTAMs... but then I just fly the plane without the Ipad out. For my RV-10 project I went all fanboi Garmin and will end up using Garmin Pilot just for the integration. But again there's so much glass on my panel I won't use the Ipad past planning, maybe charts if I don't like them on the MFD... I guess the point of all that is I've never really preferred one EFB over another.

I've always been curious about EFB market share from a business perspective. I know Foreflight is the assumed market leader but if that's the case by how much? Has anyone ever seen a pie chart or statistics showing EFB by platform (Ipad, Android, C64), then a breakout of various EFB products and compare that to the active pilot population?

Personally I used Foreflight and then went to WingX because I have a Navworx setup for ADSB. Lately in my buddies VFR only RV-10 I use the free WingX version for flight planning/NOTAMs... but then I just fly the plane without the Ipad out. For my RV-10 project I went all fanboi Garmin and will end up using Garmin Pilot just for the integration. But again there's so much glass on my panel I won't use the Ipad past planning, maybe charts if I don't like them on the MFD... I guess the point of all that is I've never really preferred one EFB over another.

I'm still on the Vic-20 for my EFB but hoping to upgrade to the C64 shortly. Not sure what I'm going to do with all the extra RAM though.

There is some data in this thread: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/foreflight-market-penetration.105457/

Back