1st-time Medical w/Lexapro, Welbutrin, and klonopin

F

Freddie

Omg am I discouraged at this point after reading all the related threads on this topic and some of the FAA documents. So I'm a student pilot who went to a well-respected Senior AME recently (for a consult without submitting the MedExpress application - which has now disappeared somehow?), and was told I have two options:

"1) Need to come off Klonopin and Welbutrin and stay on Lexapro and will need significant testing. OR, 2) come off all three, retest after 60 days and then we should be good to go."

This makes option 2 sound way easier than other posts I've read here. I've been on various anti-depressants long-term since 2009. Klonopin is as-needed for anxiety, infrequently used and can be stopped, but the prescription is there nonetheless. Wellbutrin was for ADD - difficulty focusing at work, been on for about 2 years.

I am willing to try getting off all the meds, but other posts on here make it sound much harder than "retest after 60 days and good to go." I don't want to go through that just to be told that I have to go back on the SSRI and wait another 6 months anyway!

The FAA website makes it sound like I should give up completely as I have an SSRI "rule-out" of history of "Multi-agent drug protocol use (prior use of other psychiatric drugs in conjunction with SSRIs.)" as detailed above.

What should I do? (Other than contact Dr. Bruce, if he doesn't respond on here) Thanks :)

I think your "well respected" AME didn't delve too much into your background. First off multi-drug symptoms as well as any use of Klonopin or Wellbutrin are NEVER certifiable. That much he got right. However, that's where it stops being correct. An ADD diagnosis is going to be a tough nut to certify whether you are still taking the Wellbutrin or not. Had you been prescribed for depression or something else, you could have done either the SSRI protocol to continue Lexapro or gone off meds on path I.

With a ADD diagnosis, you're now going to have to jump through other hoops: neuropshych eval, drug testing (to show you are off the psych drugs) followed by the testing battery (includes COGSCREEN).

Freddie, willing to come off the drugs versus should you come off the drugs is the real question here and probably a question for your psychologist, the last thing you want to do is jeopardize your mental health by stopping meds when you shouldn't. Dr Bruce is the guy to talk to about concerning what to do should your psychologist say it's ok to be off the meds.

Your health is more important than flying. Is flying the only reason you're getting off the meds? It should be because you don't need them anymore, nothing else.

Hopefully people are still checking this thread out, I didnt want to start a new one on a question that has been asked similarly so many times.
I started my pilot training about a month ago. My instructor told me to apply for the first class certificate "Just so you know you'll be able to get it". I was unaware of the SSRI limitations. So brief history: over the course of the last five years I was prescribed zoloft for a year for mild depression (NO suicide), then a year break with no meds, lexapro for three motnsh then switched to effexor (SNRI which I should not have been on) for three months. Stopped taking those almost 2 years ago. I indicated the history on the app because Im not a liar and I'm not gonna outsmart the government. My AME informed me I need to write a statement basically on my status and asked that my PCP does the same. I expect her to say the same thing I did: mostly situational, resolved. Im supposed to be seeing the AME this Wednesday but he more or less guarantee that my case will have to go to review. Is this true? If so, what else am I in for as far as the deferral process goes?

thanks for your quick reply! So at my appointment on Wednesday, it sounds like I should ask him to keep this strictly a consultation, rather than an exam? If he changes his answer regarding deferral after hearing the circumstances of my history, should I allow him to "conduct the exam"?

Yes to keeping it a consultation.

Deferral is likely no matter what. But find out if
  1. he has successfully done these in the past.
  2. what you should obtain in advance of the live exam to increase your chances of success and minimize the FAA sending you "we need more data" letters.
  3. Is he willing to be your active advocate through the entire process. This includes contacting the FAA as needed to keep your submission from stalling in channels.
If at anytime during that consultation you get the vibe he isn't going to be in your corner and create a successful outcome, do not proceed to the live exam. Seek out someone like Dr. Bruce Chien who will be your proper advocate.

One more question, he is only an AME not a HIMS, can he do everything needed or should I find someone else for the consultation, too?

Hopefully people are still checking this thread out, I didnt want to start a new one on a question that has been asked similarly so many times.
I started my pilot training about a month ago. My instructor told me to apply for the first class certificate "Just so you know you'll be able to get it". I was unaware of the SSRI limitations. So brief history: over the course of the last five years I was prescribed zoloft for a year for mild depression (NO suicide), then a year break with no meds, lexapro for three motnsh then switched to effexor (SNRI which I should not have been on) for three months. Stopped taking those almost 2 years ago. I indicated the history on the app because Im not a liar and I'm not gonna outsmart the government. My AME informed me I need to write a statement basically on my status and asked that my PCP does the same. I expect her to say the same thing I did: mostly situational, resolved. Im supposed to be seeing the AME this Wednesday but he more or less guarantee that my case will have to go to review. Is this true? If so, what else am I in for as far as the deferral process goes?

I have to disagree with your instructor. Unless your career goal is airline pilot, you do not need a first class medical. Every application form you ever fill out for an aviation job will ask "Have you ever been denied a medical certificate?" By going straight to the first class you effectively shut down all avenues for the future. I think it is too late for you. Sorry.

Bob

I have not been denied for the certificate yet, technically. The exam has not been conducted. Should I (can I) amend my application? Seems like 3rd class has the same restrictions on this stuff anway

One more question, he is only an AME not a HIMS, can he do everything needed or should I find someone else for the consultation, too?
Difficult to say. Which is why I advise consultation and determine if he is capable of managing your case.

And +1 to what Bob said about first class.

I have not been denied for the certificate yet, technically. The exam has not been conducted. Should I (can I) amend my application? Seems like 3rd class has the same restrictions on this stuff anway
It kinda does and doesn't.

Read FAR 61.23

You can't amend the application. But if the exam has not been conducted then technically you haven't yet applied, and so you can let this application evaporate in 60 days and use another login id to fill out another application. I agree with everyone else that unless you have a strong reason for needing 1st class, apply for 3rd. But do not do the live exam until an AME you have confidence in is certain of a successful outcome.

"and so you can let this application evaporate in 60 days and use another login id to fill out another application"

Or, sign up today for a fresh free email account via gmail or yahoo, and use that to fill out the MedXpress info. And at the same time, allowing the one you filled out under your "normal" email address to evaporate after 60 days.

Dr. Bruce also pointed out on another thread (perhaps on the other board), if you have something that's easily certified with a third class, get that now. Then you can worry about how long it takes to get a second or first while you're already soloing and building time on your third.

"and so you can let this application evaporate in 60 days and use another login id to fill out another application"

Or, sign up today for a fresh free email account via gmail or yahoo, and use that to fill out the MedXpress info. And at the same time, allowing the one you filled out under your "normal" email address to evaporate after 60 days.
That's what I meant - use another login id = sign up from another email address. Thanks for the clarification though.

Also, just to make it crystal clear - you DON'T have to wait 60 days to do this and I never meant it to come out that way, but somehow it did. It just takes 60 days for the old application to evaporate, but as long as you don't let the AME take it live, it's as good as dead. :dead:

Dr. Bruce also pointed out on another thread (perhaps on the other board)
It was the Red Board with the future airman who had a medical certification challenge due to "lazy eye".

But what you said still could work for @InTraining. If a third class is doable, he should successfully obtain that, start his training, and then worry about a first class when/if it's needed.

And "if needed", @InTraining, means that you will be employed an airline or other air carrier that requires a first class medical.

If you have no plans to fly for an air carrier, then a third class will suit you just fine.

Did you consult with Dr. Bruce? If not, why not? Why would you start training without knowing the answers to all of your questions??? Right now the Sport Pilot option is open, but if you make a misstep with this medical process Ultralights will be the only flying open to you...

What I find odd is the use of Wellbutrin for “ADD”. This is not an approved indication for this med. while I’m well aware we often Rx these meds in off-label uses. But I have never presecribed this med, or this class for that matter to treat ADD. Makes me question the diagnosis more then anything. I don’t know a lot about the medical cert process but just because you have it listed as a dx doesn’t mean you have it.
Is that the easier path perhaps???

What I find odd is the use of Wellbutrin for “ADD”. This is not an approved indication for this med. while I’m well aware we often Rx these meds in off-label uses. But I have never presecribed this med, or this class for that matter to treat ADD. Makes me question the diagnosis more then anything. I don’t know a lot about the medical cert process but just because you have it listed as a dx doesn’t mean you have it.
Is that the easier path perhaps???
Me too. My wife is on Wellbutrin for pain. Not understanding how it would help in an ADD situation.

You guys are confusing poster one with poster two.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back