• Are you crazy! You'll dieeeeeeeee!

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Hell no, POA advises against it!

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
The last word on this?

Apologies to Big Joe Turner (and the Downchild Blues Band, among others) :)

...Give me one more kiss, hold it a long long time
Give me one more kiss, hold it a long long time
Now love me baby, till the feelin' hits my head like wine...

...Now slip, flap and fly
I don't care if I die
Now slip, flap and fly
I don't care if I die
Ah, don't ever leave me, don't ever say goodbye.

So, in the interest of science, I decided to have a friend video me while I was in the pattern applying full flaps during a turn, this was my base to final turn, piece of cake.

tLkKI4D.gif

Nice stabilized approach. How was the landing?

Yeah. The loss of 'lift,' the vertical component of it, requires back pressure to maintain altitude or a consistent rate of descent. Putting in flaps requires forward pressure to maintain speed or a consistent rate of reduction to a desired speed. They offset each other somewhat.

Depends on your plane. Lowering flaps makes the nose of my Mooney go down. I pull back on the yoke, then retrim after releasing the flap button.

And I drop flaps in a turn, sometimes. She speeds up a lot in a simple 500 fpm descent, and I'm not always down to the white arc before reaching the airport, in which case I drop flaps whenever I'm slow enough, and that is sometimes while turning downwind (from either direction).

Depends on your plane. Lowering flaps makes the nose of my Mooney go down. I pull back on the yoke, then retrim after releasing the flap button.

And I drop flaps in a turn, sometimes. She speeds up a lot in a simple 500 fpm descent, and I'm not always down to the white arc before reaching the airport, in which case I drop flaps whenever I'm slow enough, and that is sometimes while turning downwind (from either direction).

Yeah. Good point. I’m a Cessna guy. I’m going to edit that into that post

Last edited:
Back