Question of the day!

Yes. I don't want it to be a surprise when the police show up on our doorstep.
True story (and apologies if I've posted this before) but not too long after I'd begun flying, my wife pulled in the driveway one evening to the sight of a police car sitting in front of our house. She knew I was out flying. She walked up to the officer in his car and hesitantly asked him "Are you looking for me?" To which he predictably replied "Should I be?"

She then proceeded to stumble thru her reason for asking him that question...:D Ever since I text her when I'm back OTG and she generally knows where I'm going.

My wife and I text back and forth throughout the day as our work allows, so we always know what the other will be up to just through normal conversation.

Same here. We basically always know what the other one is doing. It's just a normal part of our communication.

Wow... she must have good eyes and ears. :D

Or do you never fly anywhere else?

She wears glasses, hearing is good. We live next to the runway. Like I said, she can hear me start up, taxi, take off and land. She can see me do those things, too. She can hear me flying away for a few miles, and can hear me coming back and entering the pattern, as our house is inside it. Quiet place to live. 616 people, 11 airplanes based there. 3000’ of nice grass.

I tell her that I'm going flying. If I'm going long x-country, she will know days in advance, due to me watching WX, and flight planning stuff going on.

Yep.

Me - I'm going flying.
Her - Okay, don't crash.

Her - I'm going riding. (horseback)
Me - Don't fall off and hit your head on a rock.

Text when back on the ground.

Yes, this is my situation too.

Wife does not enjoy flying (unless there is a horse to see at destination), thinks it is "dangerous", but encourages me to do it because she knows it makes me happy. She knows when I am heading out the door for a flight, and I call or text whenever I land somewhere so she stops worrying (momentarily).

She on the other hand is addicted to raising and training horses, which I think are "dangerous", unpredictable animals that would sooner trample you to death than submit to having a saddle cinch-tied on them. She, of course, doesn't see it that way, and therefore I don't get any calls or texts when she is back on the ground after riding.

If I'm flying to see my gf, then no, I don't tell the wife.

I Do almost exactly what SixPapaCharlie does.

Last edited:
Lol. Dont know him, but wish I did.

SWMBO is new to flying and gets a little nervous about it, so I don't mind texting her after I've shut down. Seems like an easy thing to do to keep things sane and not have to discuss it. We talk about plenty of things I've screwed up to make her upset :)

I've also trained her that it might take me half an hour after shut down before I get around to it. She balked at that, but I reminded her that when she's busy she takes even longer.

When I was flying hang gliders, I'd be gone for at least hours, so obviously yes.

Since we have two teen daughters, all four of us use Life360, so any of us knows where the other three are at any moment.

Come to think of it, I tell my wife if I'm going to stop for groceries, or at Home Depot, or going running. I didn't tell her I was going for a bike ride yesterday, but that's because she wasn't home.

After skydiving, I did text her to let her know that neither I nor our daughter had bounced. She was worried about that, even though statistically speaking, a tandem skydive is hardly more dangerous than a 50 mile car ride.

True story (and apologies if I've posted this before) but not too long after I'd begun flying, my wife pulled in the driveway one evening to the sight of a police car sitting in front of our house. She knew I was out flying. She walked up to the officer in his car and hesitantly asked him "Are you looking for me?" To which he predictably replied "Should I be?"

She then proceeded to stumble thru her reason for asking him that question...:D Ever since I text her when I'm back OTG and she generally knows where I'm going.

So, what were the cops doing there then?

image.jpeg

Yes, this is my situation too.

Wife does not enjoy flying (unless there is a horse to see at destination), thinks it is "dangerous", but encourages me to do it because she knows it makes me happy. She knows when I am heading out the door for a flight, and I call or text whenever I land somewhere so she stops worrying (momentarily).

She on the other hand is addicted to raising and training horses, which I think are "dangerous", unpredictable animals that would sooner trample you to death than submit to having a saddle cinch-tied on them. She, of course, doesn't see it that way, and therefore I don't get any calls or texts when she is back on the ground after riding.

I'm with you on that horse thing. Last horse I rode, if I had a car that handled like that horse, I'd put it in the shop.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't tell your SO or spouse about flying.

Yes. We call it "filing a wife plan".

Yep. If it’s a full day of training flights she knows it’ll be all day and no individual texts until done at the end, but anything else it’s a text when going up and a text when done. No big deal.

My wife gets Flightaware alerts when I file, but 99% of the time she knows when and where I am going in advance. I flew home alone from the beach last night and called her as soon as I landed because the weather looked a little iffy when I left.

Honestly never occurred to me to tell her when I am flying! As I think about it I do get these texts “where are you” so it does not seem like a bad idea.

I have to be careful though about changing, true story: she had been “sad” at me for not listening, honestly part of the 60 cycle hum that I tune out. So one time on the phone something had happened, forget what, and I made a point to tell her how sorry I am for her, finally she goes “ why do you keep saying you’re sorry, it’s not your fault!” Basically who are you and what have you done with my husband?

So I just went back to ignoring her and everything is fine now.

Not just the boys... POA girls tell their SO about flying too!
I used to text him prior to engine start and text after shut down.
Since I have my ticket, he's been with me on all my flights... all 5 of them :D

I do as most.... Before take off I giver her a text saying taking off, 1.5ish hours. Then when I land I text landed. On XC's she is usually with me so no texting required.

One time I went flying with a friend and told her I was taking off and would be about an hour. We ended up flying for 2 hours but after I landed I saw I had a few missed calls and it was close to 3 hours after I told her we took off and lets just say she was NOT happy when I called but relieved as well. So I never forget now. haha

I tell her that I am flying but like any other sport or activity I only tell her about half of the cost or time :)

That caught up to me this weekend when updating our hours for insurance. I logged 120hrs and she only logged 20hrs.

Actually my wife loves that I go flying. Its just those 2hrs after landing and shooting the bull at the airport that drive her nuts. If she wasn't a pilot I could say its all flight time. But she knows to darned much :)

You confused me at married and lost me at relashasomething..

I don't even know what either of those words mean.

"Relashasomething" is a newfangled topping that hipsters put on their hotdogs... some combination of chopped sweet pickles and chipotle mayo I think.
Then, "married" is what happens to your shirt when you drop the hotdog and the relashasomething gets spilled all over it. (Impossible to get out.)

<so not wanting to work today...>

"Relashasomething" is a newfangled topping that hipsters put on their hotdogs... some combination of chopped sweet pickles and chipotle mayo I think.
Then, "married" is what happens to your shirt when you drop the hotdog and the relashasomething gets spilled all over it. (Impossible to get out.)

<so not wanting to work today...>

So relashasomething they can afford, but not avocado toast? ;) ;) ;)

We've both done so much travel over the years, no notification is required, that is, if staying local. She already knows where I'll eventually end up when I leave the driveway, and also knows she can call or text anytime. That's a two way street. However, for spur of the moment local flights or short cross countries, I always inform someone that knows how to contact her about when and where I'm flying. Travelling across the country is a different story. Our plans and itinerary are always shared beforehand, and each leg of the trip requires a call or text, and a daily check in.

Back