September MLB Trip

neilw2

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Neil W
My brother and I are planning on flying out to Cleveland to catch a sox game at Progressive Field on a Saturday evening then flying down to Pittsburgh the next morning to see another baseball game before heading home Sun late afternoon/evening. It should be a pretty fun trip and I'll definitely post some pics when I go.

I plan on using KBKL in Cleveland due to it's walking distance to the ballpark and I think I'll use AGC in Pittsburgh unless there is better option.

A couple questions:

-I'll be flying pretty much direct from KBVY (North of Boston) to BKL and leaving early so we have a full day in Cleveland before the game. Anyone have any recommendations on a good fuel stop en route? Cheap gas is good but if there is a "must stop" type of airport I'd pick that for a few cents more on gas

-Any PIREPS on either destination airport? Is AGC the easiest GA airport to get to PNC park? ( it will be on Sunday afternoon if that matters for traffic flow)

I’m based at BKL. Make sure your brother has his camera ready: you’ll get great views as you’re landing, especially if they’re landing on 6.

If you want to avoid Signature you can park at the city ramp and avoid all but the $7 landing fee, but from what I’ve heard Signature isn’t all that bad if you purchase fuel. I bet they’d even give you a ride to the stadium. It’s about a 15-20 minute walk from the airport to the stadium.

The stadium is known for its great food options, but there can be quite a line for some of the more popular ones. Me, I like just a good old fashioned hot dog with Bertman’s Original Stadium Mustard. For other great food options, take a stroll down East 4th Street right by the stadium. I’d recommend Mabel’s for some outstanding barbecue. Panini’s at East 9th and Prospect is a Cleveland staple for their overstuffed sandwiches if your looking for something quicker. Cleveland is full of great food options, though, so it’s hard to go wrong downtown.

The iconic Cleveland script statue that everyone gets their picture taken with is right near the airport. It’s in the park you fly over right off the approach end of 7.

Let me know if you have any specific Cleveland questions. I don’t know as much about Pittsburgh except that their controllers have been extremely helpful to me.

My brother and I are planning on flying out to Cleveland to catch a sox game at Progressive Field on a Saturday evening then flying down to Pittsburgh the next morning to see another baseball game before heading home Sun late afternoon/evening. It should be a pretty fun trip and I'll definitely post some pics when I go.

I plan on using KBKL in Cleveland due to it's walking distance to the ballpark and I think I'll use AGC in Pittsburgh unless there is better option.

A couple questions:

-I'll be flying pretty much direct from KBVY (North of Boston) to BKL and leaving early so we have a full day in Cleveland before the game. Anyone have any recommendations on a good fuel stop en route? Cheap gas is good but if there is a "must stop" type of airport I'd pick that for a few cents more on gas

-Any PIREPS on either destination airport? Is AGC the easiest GA airport to get to PNC park? ( it will be on Sunday afternoon if that matters for traffic flow)

Its been many years since I flew to BKL, but it is a great location and you can walk to downtown. Here is a photo of the final approach.

Attachments

• 106_0677.JPG
    106_0677.JPG
    342.9 KB · Views: 24
Its been many years since I flew to BKL, but it is a great location and you can walk to downtown. Here is a photo of the final approach.
That's pretty awesome, thanks. I'm really looking forward to the flight as much as the games :)

I’m based at BKL. Make sure your brother has his camera ready: you’ll get great views as you’re landing, especially if they’re landing on 6.

If you want to avoid Signature you can park at the city ramp and avoid all but the $7 landing fee, but from what I’ve heard Signature isn’t all that bad if you purchase fuel. I bet they’d even give you a ride to the stadium. It’s about a 15-20 minute walk from the airport to the stadium.

The stadium is known for its great food options, but there can be quite a line for some of the more popular ones. Me, I like just a good old fashioned hot dog with Bertman’s Original Stadium Mustard. For other great food options, take a stroll down East 4th Street right by the stadium. I’d recommend Mabel’s for some outstanding barbecue. Panini’s at East 9th and Prospect is a Cleveland staple for their overstuffed sandwiches if your looking for something quicker. Cleveland is full of great food options, though, so it’s hard to go wrong downtown.

The iconic Cleveland script statue that everyone gets their picture taken with is right near the airport. It’s in the park you fly over right off the approach end of 7.

Let me know if you have any specific Cleveland questions. I don’t know as much about Pittsburgh except that their controllers have been extremely helpful to me.

Thanks for all the great recommendations!... as it gets closer I'll bother you if I have anything more specific.

R&R Hall of Fame downtown, not far from the stadium. Cool if you're a fan but it's one of those have to go once places, overpriced. Some cool exhibits though. Don't remember the street name but it's closed off to vehicles and some good restaurants and bars there.

My wife and I are flying to BKL in August for the Jim Thome day game. We'll Lyft to the hotel by the stadium on Friday but will walk everywhere on game day and Lyft back to the airport on Sunday. Thanks for the info.

Back