Flying over Yellowstone and then east

PeterNSteinmetz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PeterNSteinmetz
I am planning a trip for later this week to fly into Jackson Hole and then over Yellowstone the next morning and to the east. Thinking of flying east through Sylvan Pass.

Anyone have experience with flying out through this pass or generally over Yellowstone which they would like to share?

Thanks.

Jackson Hole = $$$. Fly into KWYS , it’s right at the west park entrance, cheaper fuel, tie downs and cheaper accommodations if required

Went to Yellowstone several years ago, from WV. Had owned the plane for a whole year and was pushing 200 hours total time, so I was conservative.

We came out of Rapid City and went direct to Billings VOR then south through the valley to Cody. Really wasn't used to the visibility, maybe >50 miles, had a hard time spotting the airport (I was looking way past it based on visibility rather than height above the cowl).

There's a nice path from Cody into the Park allowing a full circle around and exit to the south, but the corridor was blocked by several Fire TFRs, and the day we left a snowstorm was coming in from the northwest so we hurried up toward Billings, cut the corner around the Sawtooth Mtns and made a NASCAR fuel stop in Gillette before heading to somewhere in Nebraska (i.e., nowhere).

I've driven all over the Park several times, and West Yellowstone is nice. The airport looks doable but I was low time and loaded heavy with luggage for 10 days, plus some bags that our friends didn't have room for in their plane.

Enjoy yourself, and fly safe!

There’s a nice path from Cody into the Park allowing a full circle around and exit to the south, but the corridor was blocked by several Fire

That is exactly the path I was thinking of, but in the reverse.

Second WYS, there is a pilots only campground plus rental cars and usually a restaurant on field. Flying from there to Old Faithful then north around the lake and out the north entrance is a nice trip. Remember the requested 2000' horizontal and vertical from the surface. Riverton WY had a restaurant on field

Fly over the grand prismatic spring. The air is the best way to view this thing and it’s quite unique.

I’ve flown around the south end and used the route from roughly Jackson to Riverton to exit to the east. If it is windy that route may let you get out of the bumps. The Sylvan route will be great if it’s calm.

Where are you coming from? Driggs, ID (KDIJ.....Idaho side of the tetons) has a really cool little GA airport and is only a 30 minute drive to Jackson. And from there it's a straight shot north to Yellowstone. Call ahead to reserve a rental car cause they don't have a lot on the field and have to bring them in from nearby Idaho Falls.

Well, so I ended up leaving Jackson Hole on a day with fairly low ceilings but the forecast said should be ok exiting to north toward Bozeman. Once up over Yellowstone itself, clouds quite low to the north and west so a return to Jackson Hole or exit over the lake and Sylvan Pass, where the weather was clearer, were the only options. Made it out through the pass to discover a low cloud layer below me between Cody and Billings. Headed SE to Worland for a fuel stop.

Thanks for posting those photos! My family was never into camping or outdoors stuff when I was a kid, so I always wanted to visit a national park once I got on my own. Back in 1992, I was trying to decide on going to either Olympic National Park, or Yellowstone. Air fare was cheaper into Billings, Montana than it was to Washington, so I went to Yellowstone.

I'd never seen such scenery before in my life! I still remember renting my little 3-cylinder Daihatsu Charade and driving through Montana. I quickly realized why they call it Big Sky Country. Although that little car had one hell of a time trying to drive up the mountains.

And Yellowstone...WOW. It's still my favorite outdoor place to visit to this day. One of the first "real" cross country trips I want to do once I get my PPL (and some other training) done is to fly into WYS and spend a few days hiking Yellowstone. I always stay in West Yellowstone, so WYS is ideal for that.

Can't wait! Flying there on my own will be like a dream come true.

DSCN1779.JPG DSCN1781.JPG DSCN1764.JPG DSCN1764.JPG DSCN1779.JPG DSCN1781.JPG DSCN1764.JPG DSCN1764.JPG
Thanks for posting those photos! My family was never into camping or outdoors stuff when I was a kid, so I always wanted to visit a national park once I got on my own. Back in 1992, I was trying to decide on going to either Olympic National Park, or Yellowstone. Air fare was cheaper into Billings, Montana than it was to Washington, so I went to Yellowstone.

I'd never seen such scenery before in my life! I still remember renting my little 3-cylinder Daihatsu Charade and driving through Montana. I quickly realized why they call it Big Sky Country. Although that little car had one hell of a time trying to drive up the mountains.

And Yellowstone...WOW. It's still my favorite outdoor place to visit to this day. One of the first "real" cross country trips I want to do once I get my PPL (and some other training) done is to fly into WYS and spend a few days hiking Yellowstone. I always stay in West Yellowstone, so WYS is ideal for that.

Can't wait! Flying there on my own will be like a dream come true.
You're most welcome!

We went with a local person (may he RIP) who guided us along the Tetons as well. Calm, still air so we could get close.

DSCN1779.JPG DSCN1781.JPG

Better yet go to KDIJ Driggs, ID. Warbird museum costs ya nothing and the food is awesome.

Back