Where can I get a Garmin G5 installed with an Avidyne IFD540?

bcool

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bud
Help! I'm looking for a recommended place to have two Garmin G5s installed within about 250 miles of the St. Louis area...any ideas?

Having a KCS-55A HSI that's on its last legs, I was soliciting quotes from reputable avionics shops near me...5 in total. Out of those 5, 2 responded with quotes of $10,000 and $15,000(!). These seem to be quite a bit higher than what I've seen people post on the various aviation boards I frequent, to say the least.

Based on that, I thought I'd wait a while and see if I could find something else. Well, it figures...last night I went to do my night currency and my vacuum pump died as I was taxiing out to the runway :mad: Good news, it happened on the ground; bad news, it's forced my hand with the upgrade.

So now, it's either fix the vacuum pump or bite the bullet for the G5s. Yes, the vacuum pump would be cheaper but I'd rather do the G5s.

Does anyone know of a place that does this work near St. Louis? The wrinkle here is that I need them connected to an Avidyne IFD540. I've heard varying opinions on this - in fact, my two quotes ranged from "no problem, we don't need any paperwork to do it" to "we'll add $2,000 to the quote to have it approved".

Thanks for any references!! :)

I had my G5's installed at Premier at KFWA, just a touch over 250 mi.

They're a Garmin shop and heavily push Garmin, but they have done plenty of Avidyne work, too.

Good and bad, which you'll have at any shop. PM if you want.

And few south of FWA you have Muncie Aviation (KMIE) which is a top rate shop.

A little further is the shop at Sporty's, I69. Never heard anything bad about the shop - other than perhaps price. Just another data point. cincinnatiavionics.com

Dyersburg Avionics in caruthersville, MO. They did my dual G5’s connected to my IFD 550.

Absolutely love it.

They were under your two quotes. I want to think in the 8-9k range. Of course quotes will vary depending on your specific panel.

I had my G5 installed at Spencer Avionics, Spencer IA. A little over your 250 mile limit, but they do good work.

Thanks for all the suggestions. After doing some more checking around it seems like the going rate is a little over $10,000 to have the work done. I decided to take it to Muncie Aviation at KMIE based on comments I’ve heard about them, the fact that my plane has been there before with a previous owner, the positive email conversations I had with Bill Roundtree at Muncie, and the fact that they could take me on in less than a week from when I contacted them.

I’ll post an update when I get ol’ Archie back...

Back