What a rip off

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Look up TCM part 22537 / 654583 same part, look at the cost.

Yeah, but if you use the old one and it cracks, is "well I wanted to save my customer $20" going to fly?

You aren't paying it, we are. And by "we", I mean those who bought the Continental engine.

What is it used for?
Holds the oil pump together. It is a specific part number by the book. but it is not a required replacement part, IAW the overhaul manual Like a rod bolt.

Yeah, but if you use the old one and it cracks, is "well I wanted to save my customer $20" going to fly?

You aren't paying it, we are. And by "we", I mean those who bought the Continental engine.
In this case I am paying for it. When you throw away owners reusable parts you should replace them.

MS20074-04-05....$1.56 at Spruce. ;)
It's my impression that Superior uses that bolt then modifies the head, to clear the cam gear, hardens it to grade 8 spec. and sells them for around 20-25bucks.
wold you like me to use a grade 5 AN bolt when a specific part number is called for?

it's not just aviation.

I put new tires on my tractor (a Ford 6610) and it needed new bolts that hold the wheels and rims together. There were 8 per side IIRC...maybe it was 8 total...and they were right at $50 each because they were metric. The SAE version was about half that cost.

My tractor wheels/rims are now held together with high strength carriage bolts at about $3 each.

At least that is a specific part for a specific job, so I can at least expect some price gouging...On my PA28, the Challenger air filter is EXACTLY the same as a dodge truck air filter...well, exactly the same with the exception of the 5x price.

And btw, even though I would never, ever...ahem...put a dodge truck air filter on my Cherokee, I did buy one once, "just to compare", and it is so much alike, from the same color, the same pleats, the same materials, to right down to the same part numbers stamped on the side, that it would have been real easy to accidently switch the two when comparing them...Of course I would never do this intentionally and I am pretty sure I didn't do this, but who can say for sure...

Are you folks trying to say that some aircraft parts are ridiculously expensive for no obvious reason?

Shocking.

Yeah, I paid about $50 apiece for conn rod connecting bolts. I think the nuts were $8 each.

But connecting rod bolts are kinda special and kinda important!

Tom, not anyone should or shouldn't. Just pointing out there are avenues available. The AC says identical part number by manufacturer is acceptable.

Timken bearings on a Cub are available at the local bearing house. Same part number imprinted as the original. Works just the same because they are the same. Piper had a different part number, but Timken numbers matches. Same for Scott 3-24b/2000 tailwheel bearings. Order the aircraft part number and you get Timken bearing with same part number of the old ones. Never had an IA have an issue.

Tom, not anyone should or shouldn't. Just pointing out there are avenues available. The AC says identical part number by manufacturer is acceptable.

Timken bearings on a Cub are available at the local bearing house. Same part number imprinted as the original. Works just the same because they are the same. Piper had a different part number, but Timken numbers matches. Same for Scott 3-24b/2000 tailwheel bearings. Order the aircraft part number and you get Timken bearing with same part number of the old ones. Never had an IA have an issue.
That isn't the issue here, I set the standard for my engines, New OEM parts are the norm, They are available that is what gets used.
I really doubt you can find a new OEM wheel bearing for a J-3, so the aftermarket Timkins are used.

On my PA28, the Challenger air filter is EXACTLY the same as a dodge truck air filter...well, exactly the same with the exception of the 5x price.

A few years ago at annual, when I pulled my very overpriced Continental alternator belt out of the sleeve, I noticed that it was simply a Gates belt with a Gates part number in a Continental sleeve. I change my alternator belt every year at annual and slide the old belt into the sleeve and keep it as a spare. My A&P would rather I provide the parts (for whatever reason) so every year I hand him a new Gates belt in a Continental sleeve. That sleeve is getting pretty worn after 8 or 10 years. ;)

Timken bearings on a Cub are available at the local bearing house. Same part number imprinted as the original.

Same goes with my 182's wheel bearings. When it's time to replace them my A&P sends me down to NAPA with the part number.

That isn't the issue here, I set the standard for my engines, New OEM parts are the norm, They are available that is what gets used.
I really doubt you can find a new OEM wheel bearing for a J-3, so the aftermarket Timkins are used.

I wasn't really suggesting for the engine application that you could find substitutes under AC 23-27. I was addressing the comment about the identical part number and identical air filter element another post mentioned for a PA-28. It would be an easy direct replacement for the poster and save the 5X cost...not to mention easy availability.

A few years ago at annual, when I pulled my very overpriced Continental alternator belt out of the sleeve, I noticed that it was simply a Gates belt with a Gates part number in a Continental sleeve. I change my alternator belt every year at annual and slide the old belt into the sleeve and keep it as a spare. My A&P would rather I provide the parts (for whatever reason) so every year I hand him a new Gates belt in a Continental sleeve. That sleeve is getting pretty worn after 8 or 10 years. ;)

Same goes with my 182's wheel bearings. When it's time to replace them my A&P sends me down to NAPA with the part number.

No reason to pay aviation prices for FAA acceptable parts available elsewhere. Despite my RV-4 being Experimental and being able to use about any brand, I opted for a new NAPA (Gates) alternator belt (old one had run a couple hundred hours safely) when I had the starter ring ring off for replacement. It looked good and showed no signs of wear/issues, but for $23, it was an easy choice. I wasn't comfortable using one of the other store brand or competitor's belt of dubious quality nor was I willing to pay five time for a "aviation belt".

It might just be the pictures or my eyes but the MS ones from Spruce have a thicker head, they aren't the same part.

I know there is standard harware used in critical areas on aircraft but replacement parts from the aircraft manufacturer are NDTd when you order them using the part number in the parts manual vs orderng them from a hardware vender using the standard part number. Tead carefully.

It might just be the pictures or my eyes but the MS ones from Spruce have a thicker head, they aren't the same part.

I know there is standard harware used in critical areas on aircraft but replacement parts from the aircraft manufacturer are NDTd when you order them using the part number in the parts manual vs orderng them from a hardware vender using the standard part number. Tead carefully.
How do you cope with a parts vender that will use their part number and sent you a generic part.

Send it back.
Lots of these knock off parts look exactly like the real ones, and come in a pack labeled with the proper P/N. It's a case of know your vender, and where they get their parts.

Thought you'd like to see the difference between a generic AN bolt and a TCM specific bolt

Attachments

• tlCA0T+KQROik3DIMYlpOA.jpg
    tlCA0T+KQROik3DIMYlpOA.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Q6O2MSxVTE2owPIwHr1b4A.jpg
    Q6O2MSxVTE2owPIwHr1b4A.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 54
  • xQkfNphMSxyD0CdybJ4Brg.jpg
    xQkfNphMSxyD0CdybJ4Brg.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 56
Lots of these knock off parts look exactly like the real ones, and come in a pack labeled with the proper P/N. It's a case of know your vender, and where they get their parts.
well....if it's like you say....that's illegal.

An interesting discussion.

When the OP gets his new bolts, how will he know that they are a good part that he can install?

An interesting discussion.

When the OP gets his new bolts, how will he know that they are a good part that he can install?
very good question.

Back