VOR Minimum Operational Network (MON)

There is a reduction in the numbers of VOR, about a third, but the rest are not going away. The service volume is being increased as well at 5000 AGL from 40 NM to 70 NM. From every point in the NAS, there will be at least one airport within 100 NM that has approaches that only use VOR or ILS without any dependency on Radar, NDB, DME, or GPS.

Time marches on. I have no particular problem with eliminating VOR's (other than I have a receiver in my plane and hope the ILS systems will remain operative), but I am uncomfortable with no backup system being in place. Based on what I have read, the GPS system is pretty easy to jam. E-Loran would have made a very nice back up system. Hopefully, wiser heads than mine are making good decisions here.

The Minimum Operating Network IS the backup system. Enough VORs will remain to provide a signal to anyone flying within 100 miles of a facility at or above 5000' agl so that in the event of a GPS system failure there would still be VOR and ILS approaches available. Keep those VOR and ILS skills sharp, because demonstrating proficiency will be a requirement for many years to come.

Bob

The Minimum Operating Network IS the backup system. Enough VORs will remain to provide a signal to anyone flying within 100 miles of a facility at or above 5000' agl so that in the event of a GPS system failure there would still be VOR and ILS approaches available. Keep those VOR and ILS skills sharp, because demonstrating proficiency will be a requirement for many years to come.

Bob

Bob, one correction, the 100 NM is for an approach being available with just VOR or ILS on board navigation equipment, the service volume of VOR at 5000 AGL will increase from 40 NM to 70 NM,

I note that the original list was 497 long, the latest list is 588. May have been to close some of the gaps out west where there were no non-GPS approaches available within 100nm, may have been for other operational purposes.

We need a new map with the airways remaining with this list. The one in the link in the OP shows a fractured, disconnected airway network east of the Mississippi.

Back