Want to fly the F-104?

Somehow I think it would go something like Richard Hammond getting a drive in the Renault F1 car

If you don't have Top Gun type skills, I have to think this airplane is going to be flying you.

I wonder if Basic Med counts for a medical?

I have a pilot buddy while a USN Aviator flew a foreign exchange program with the Germany Navy flying F-104s. He said it was a blast. He is now a retired FedEx pilot with a nice Clipped Wing Cub.

Last edited:
Sounds like its time to start a GoFundMe! :D

looks like fun. oh, to have a spare 20K or so....

Tim

I have a pilot buddy while a USN Aviator flew a foreign exchange program with the Germany Navy flying F-104s. He said it was a blast. He is now a retired FedEx pilot with a nice Clipped Wing Cub.
A very close friend of mine flew 104’s for the Germans. He loved that airplane. He said he would be climbing through 50k supersonic just a few minutes after brake release. Interestingly he also participated in an exchange program and retired from the military as a t-38 instructor with the USAF. He definitely has some interesting stories

Guy (former Marine pilot) in Montgomery AL back in the mid 80s had a 104 and some kind of British fighter. Northern Lights was the company name. Heard he had a contract with the Navy for spin training in it, don't know if that's true. Heard it departed the end of the runway taking off.

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/jetregistry/f104-104632.html

Guy (former Marine pilot) in Montgomery AL back in the mid 80s had a 104 and some kind of British fighter. Heard he had a contract with the Navy for spin training in it, don't know if that's true. Heard it departed the end of the runway taking off.
Isn't departing the end of the runway on take off a good thing?

Didn't a German WWII ace get canned by the modern Luftwaffe over disagreement about how they were using F-104's?

Back