The end of flying as we know it??

iflyforfun

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iflyforfun
To me, this is absolutely terrifying. Maybe a little overwrought, but still ...

If a CNN reporter can train to fly in 90 minutes, what will the skies of the near future look like. I don't think this single flyer will cause much disruption, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. What does private aviation look like when the skill entry barrier is removed??

To fly in the national airspace will always require a pilots license. That should keep most of the bozos at bay.
That’s a cool ride though, need a little more protection from those spinning knive.

Not too worried, between the few that will burst into flames when their li pos have a runway, to the 2 minute like endurance it likely has and the no doubt insane price tag, I'll go back to my regularly scheduled programming now.

Liability insurance for that company gonna be muey spensive

It weighs 250 pounds, which means it is an ultalight and can be flown without any kind of pilots license.

That would still have to fit within the rules of the airspace as it is now. I could see low level "high ways" being formed for something like that, maybe 500 feet agl, with computer controlled flight while on them.

That would still have to fit within the rules of the airspace as it is now. I could see low level "high ways" being formed for something like that, maybe 500 feet agl, with computer controlled flight while on them.
This is kind of what scares me ...

To fly in the national airspace will always require a pilots license. That should keep most of the bozos at bay.
That’s a cool ride though, need a little more protection from those spinning knive.

Hasn't stopped Drone operators.......

Little things like wind and weather might have something to say about it, too. Just sayin'.

Just thinking about a city full of these things, operated by some of the same people I shared I-10 with today.

:eek:

Little things like wind and weather might have something to say about it, too. Just sayin'.

Just thinking about a city full of these things, operated by some of the same people I shared I-10 with today.

These things will work themselves out :)

Yes, I don't see it working with people driving them. But autonomous control could work, something where you push a button and to goes to where you want, handling all the control and navigating. We are close with cars, some think we are there with the tech, not a big stretch to apply it to something like this, in fact, it could be a good thing.

Is this the same company that had a motorcycle/jet ski/quadcopter type thing at Oshkosh last year?

Could be a good thing. I doubt these human carrying drones can go very far or fast. Perhaps folks will get a taste for it and decide to do the real thing.

So it’s just another ultralight that takes little training to fly. At 3-10 ft and 20 mph and having to stay over water, you wouldn’t need much training anyway. It would be like getting training to drive a jet ski.If they open the envelope to have any utility out of it, you can bet accidents with fatalities will occur.

Unlike a traditional ultralight, I’d imagine these will be selling for well over 100K. A toy for the wealthy, not any real threat to utility GA. Definitely not a threat to helicopters.

Could be a good thing. I doubt these human carrying drones can go very far or fast. Perhaps folks will get a taste for it and decide to do the real thing.

Exactly.

Until new flying vehicles can get passed the noise issues we won't see anything close to main stream everyday flying from your home anyway.

Because it can take off and land vertically, this particular machine is not limited to water. Notice that it landed on the dock.

Reactions: 5QK
It's electric - there are limitations. It's a gimmick until the power thing gets worked out and then it will be just one more electric aircraft. At 260 lbs, it cannot have much range.

Not to totally sidetrack this, but I was recently reading about fuel cells because that is what submarines are moving to and they are the main consumer of energy dense electrical production and storage. Of everything out there, fuel cells might hold the most promise for durable electricity but even they are probably at least a decade away.

Last edited:
Just wait for the first crash and the inevitable lawsuits. They will figure out why a new Skyhawk costs $300,000.

It's got 4 meat grinders hanging off the corners, goes 20 mph at 10 feet max altitude. Looks like more of a problem for pedestrians and surface traffic than airplanes.

This is why I've never believed any kind of "flying car" for the masses will ever happen. There are enough morons on the road who can't even drive cars safely. Do we want those same morons in the air, piloting something that can fall out of the sky? I sure as hell don't.

And even if it does happen, as previous posters have noted, the first few fatal accidents will result in lawsuits aplenty, prices will skyrocket, the FAA will regulate them just as much as GA aircraft, and the whole thing will die on the vine.

The proverbial bus full of nuns/school children/etc is pretty safe with the vast majority of private pilots in the skies today. No so much if the Johnny Texter or Susie Puts-on-Makeup-While-Driving of the world get to have flying cars.

Yes, I don't see it working with people driving them. But autonomous control could work, something where you push a button and to goes to where you want, handling all the control and navigating. We are close with cars, some think we are there with the tech, not a big stretch to apply it to something like this, in fact, it could be a good thing.

Fully autonomous cars driving in real world conditions like snow and rain are not "close".

To me, this is absolutely terrifying. Maybe a little overwrought, but still ...

If a CNN reporter can train to fly in 90 minutes, what will the skies of the near future look like. I don't think this single flyer will cause much disruption, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. What does private aviation look like when the skill entry barrier is removed??

How long/far can it fly?

I support most anything that gets people interesting in flying.

I don't understand the hate all these new toys get.

1) I am *insanely* jealous every time I see something like this. It saddens me that I have to bounce around in a 61 y/o 172 when the coolest **** like this is being made by dozens of start-ups.

2) And, like it or not, this is the future of aviation. POA may be an older, jaded, curmudgeon group, but this is the horse and buggy all over again. In ten years, the rich are going to have these toys en masse. In 20, most of us will have something similar to this.

Tech, in all fields, is advancing exponentially. We'll be in flying cars soon enough. Maybe not in my lifetime (though probably) but I'd bet the family fortune my daughter will be.

There are enough morons on the road who can't even drive cars safely. Do we want those same morons in the air, piloting something that can fall out of the sky? I sure as hell don't.

That's all fine, but all the horse-riding cowboys thought the same thing, too. "I don't want Anna-Belle and Lillian riding in those new fangled steam-burners with wheels."

But it's going to happen. In time, this will be what personal transit looks like.

1) I am *insanely* jealous every time I see something like this. It saddens me that I have to bounce around in a 61 y/o 172 when the coolest **** like this is being made by dozens of start-ups.

2) And, like it or not, this is the future of aviation. POA may be an older, jaded, curmudgeon group, but this is the horse and buggy all over again. In ten years, the rich are going to have these toys en masse. In 20, most of us will have something similar to this.

Tech, in all fields, is advancing exponentially. We'll be in flying cars soon enough. Maybe not in my lifetime (though probably) but I'd bet the family fortune my daughter will be.

That's all fine, but all the horse-riding cowboys thought the same thing, too. "I don't want Anna-Belle and Lillian riding in those new fangled steam-burners with wheels."

But it's going to happen. In time, this will be what personal transit looks like.
Your 172 is a lot cooler to me than this thing that can take one person 6 miles in 20 minutes.

It looks cool in a video. Its not close to practical transportation.

It’s not about old folks with antiquated thinking or hate. This thing isn’t practical for the vast majority of us. A fun toy? Yes, but not something that I can use for my mission. Take tomorrow, I plan on flying a 270 mile XC averaging 160 kts and carrying pax and bags. That’s practical, that’s utility and I guarantee my plane costs a fraction of this thing will.

The second problem with this aircraft is that they’re promoting the ease of flying and it’s benefits over helicopters. First, they’re flying at 10 ft and 20 mph max over water. You don’t need a lot of training in that regime. Now, take one of these novices and take it out to a few hundred ft and 100 mph, if it will even be able to attain that in the future. Now you’ve got a profile that will kill the inexperienced in a heart beat. First time one of these pilots gets into settling with power, they’re gonna get the **** scared out of them. First time they try and hover outside of max HOGE ceiling because they have no clue about performance planning. First time the batt dies and they are flying an aircraft with no autorotational capability. How about EMI issues with the speed controllers or just a failure of a speed controller? So many aerodynamic issues and EPs that could happen with this aircraft that some novice with “2 hours of training” is not going to be able to handle.

Here’s another aircraft below that was posted on FB with the premise of replacing CASEVAC on the battlefield or some commented of replacing civilian MEDEVAC. That’s an absolute joke. First, the aren’t places where this can go that a manned helo can’t. Whatever tight LZ that won’t alow at least a one wheel landing (rare) can be handled with a hoist. They’re advertising a 20 mile range??? I fly MEDEVAC on a routine basis of 200 miles without refueling. 115 mph with this drone vs 160-180 mph for traditional CASEVAC / MEDEVAC helos. 2 patient capacity with no pilot or medic on board vs 4 patients (UH-60) and 2 medics providing care enroute. No autorotational capability vs helos that can land on a dime if the engine fails.

So, while all this tech seems like leaps ahead of current tech, for the most part it’s unicorns and rainbows. There’s still a lot to be said for the utility of old designs.

Last edited:
There's a sucker born every minute. And apparently, with Millenials it's even faster than that.

Back