Stanley Cup Finals

Was definitely a shootout. I am loving having a hockey team here

Wait, there are NHL arenas that aren't 85'x200'?
I guess not anymore, but there were a lot of grandfathered buildings in that were odd sized (notably the Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium, and the Buffalo Auditorium), the last of which was replaced in 1998. I guess I'm just an old far. International/Olympic rinks are bigger unless the match is being played on one of the NHL rinks.

I only wish that I had placed a bet on the Vegas team,at the start of the season.

Welcome to Las Vegas! Another great game coming up on Weds.

Awesome game, too bad I missed the last period, I had a 3:30AM wakeup call :(
Tomorrow should be awesome. Go GKnights!

I only wish that I had placed a bet on the Vegas team,at the start of the season.

As a Caps fan, I too wish I had put $50 on Vegas before the season started. I figure it's worth loosing $50 to see the Caps win the Stanley Cup, and winning $25,000 would make me feel a little better if they lost.

Of course the Odd of the Caps making it to the SCF weren't much better.

Lord Stanley of Preston was the Governor General of Canada in 1893 (he and his family were mega hockey fans) who donated it to the top Hockey team then. The various leagues over the years made agreements as to how to determine the cup's awardee until it finally settled with the NHL in 1947. That was the original "bowl" part. The tiers below were added over time.

I've never got to handle the Stanley Cup, but for a while I got to help the Smithsonian curator move the Mackay trophy which is more ornate and its base much heavier:
A19850370000AER01.jpg

It's awardees are more interesting than a bunch of toothless jocks. It's awarded to the most meritorious flight of the Air Force each year. There are some real impressive names on it. Back in the day we also got to sit down and drink with the recipients and their families after the award ceremony.

Last edited:
Ohhhhh... the subject is on hokey.

Isn't that where these folks run around on big green cow pasture wearing super tight shorty shorts then every few minutes they all meet in the middle of the field and commence just a huggin' and a slappin' each others butts and start kissing on each other while the folks up in the stands start beating each other up while a few guys in stripped shirts start showing the guys on the field a red or yellow business card which I assume has their phone number on it..??

Strange event, it is.....

The best save ever. Wow, just wow.

This is fun hockey to watch. Hopefully Kuznetsov comes back.

Wow, what a first period! The boys came to play tonight. I can't believe those two shots didn't go for VGK.

I love the fact that two Nats (Scherzer and Zimmerman) are leading the cheers.

I can't imagine how loud it is in there...

Caps are rolling. Vegas came out fast, but just didn’t capitalize (no pun intended)

Vegas must be aiming for the pipes.

And the town goes wild. We'll see what happens from here...

Here's how big of a deal it is for DC: Channel 4 got a waiver to operate their helicopter in the FRZ over the Capital Center. The video was for the station and the network. I can't recall the last time that a news chopper was permitted over the literal heart of DC.

This town is going nuts. Game 5 is going to be good.

Here's how big of a deal it is for DC: Channel 4 got a waiver to operate their helicopter in the FRZ over the Capital Center. The video was for the station and the network. I can't recall the last time that a news chopper was permitted over the literal heart of DC.
Eh? You mean the Capital One Area (formerly the MCI Center). The CapCenter was demolished in 2002 and the Caps moved out before the FRZ even existed.

I'm not sure why you think this is an exception. Such waivers have been available for a long time.

Caps are bringing it and Vegas are the opposite of "bringin' it". Bad combination for Vegas.

Caps are on fire, and Vegas is getting spooked by it and losing their mojo. Momentum is everything in this game.

Personally, I'd like to see Vegas win the next two, and force the series to 7 games. I'm having a blast watching it on the biggest screen in our home, which I can't do when the wife is home. (She's out of the country visiting family.)

Caps are on fire, and Vegas is getting spooked by it and losing their mojo. Momentum is everything in this game.

Personally, I'd like to see Vegas win the next two, and force the series to 7 games. I'm having a blast watching it on the biggest screen in our home, which I can't do when the wife is home. (She's out of the country visiting family.)
Lord please no! For the Caps, this series has been about slaying dragons. The last dragon to slay is the dreaded 3-1 series lead. We've blown more than our share in the past. There's a whole city of Hockey Fans (surprisingly not Las Vegas, but Pittsburgh actually) who would love nothing more than to see the Caps implode in the Stanley Cup finals.

Last edited:
I heard an interesting take - Las Vegas is in a no-win scenario. 1) They might lose the series. Then they don't win. 2) They win might the series, but then their fans will have unrealistic expectations of winning every year and eventually become disillusioned and bitter over their team's lack of success, so they lose. Sucks to be a Vegas fan.

Not that I want the Caps to win either. I'm cheering for the convicts with the whistles.

Blue jackets fan here, but I’ll be rooting for the capitals

Clang! Another one hits the pipe!

Like the Caps, hate DC. OTOH, like Vegas, meh the Knights. One of these days, the Broad Street Bullies (aka the Phylers) will be back.

Cheers

If Vegas wins the cup, think about how much the bookies will lose....

Been holding my breath for an hour.....

Both teams want this bad

This here's a hockey game. VGK gotta pull the goalie soon or go home.

Yep thar he goes@2:04 left.

Back