Off Airport Landing Near John Wayne (KSNA)

Wow. Lotsa power lines. Did I see that right? Around 1:30 she is trying to start the engine!!

Lima Uniform Victor Foxtrot Lima Yankee India November

Excellent job! That could’ve ended a lot worse.

Right in my ‘hood and I missed it! I know that street quite well. She did very well and avoided the power and phone lines. A little further and she would have been by the wetlands and without power lines, but with zero margin for error before arriving at PCH at a T intersection. Overall, kudos to the pilot!

Wow, I wish I could track the centerline that well when I was a student pilot.

"I almost just got hit by a plane... pulling out of my gym".

WTH was that plane doing in the gym? -Skip
The stupid female driver in the video complained "this guy almost ran into me". Joke's on you, dimwit, it was a girl. Hee-hee!
See, some girls *****, moan and post self-important c*ap on Fecesbook ... while other girls have an actual brain and learn to do something useful and cool, like fly airplanes! :thumbsup:

Kudos on the landing, she avoided the parked cars nicely, setting the plane down safely.
I can't imagine this during busy times. (no matter how much the "journalists" want to lie to us)

Btw, she's now current, those were at least 3 landings. :)

Ummm was she no flaps there?
JFC .... I can't even land on a 5000' runway without flaps.
Amazing video ... too bad about the stupid girl yapping (from the BBC linked dashcam video)

Last edited:
Ummm was she no flaps there?
JFC .... I can't even land on a 5000' runway without flaps.
Amazing video ... too bad about the stupid girl yapping (from the BBC linked dashcam video)

Might of been. Probably forgot in the heat of things.

Might of been. Probably forgot in the heat of things.

Flaps or not, the student pilot showed pretty amazing composure and decision making ability by choosing a place to land, keeping the airspeed up, and sticking the landing.

Those seemingly simple tasks have overwhelmed a countless number of experienced pilots, and the results have often been a bent or crashed airplane with injuries or death.

Good on her for making it all work, definitely a display of confidence and skill.

Wow. I just listened to the audio on LiveATC.net and tower was coordinating with another aircraft to pickup the student's CFI who was standing between the two runways (usually with a handheld). So, it appears that this was the young lady's first or second pattern solo.

On the other hand, she landed about 6 miles away from the airport, so maybe I'm misconstruing the radio calls.

I'm not taking anything away from her accomplishment, but that looked like a hard landing with a couple of PIOs thrown in. Can't blame her esp if a student pilot! Had to laugh at the guy at the end who says she greased it on in here "on Hamilton hold short of Newland".

Totally Awesome, Bro! I mean Babe! (Huntington Beach = Surf town USA) All seriousness aside, she did an incredible job, flying it to the end and avoiding all of those power lines! Hats off to her. If and when I ever have a moment like that, I hope handle it as well as she did!

I'd like to commend the good training this student received and fell back on. That poor CFI waiting for her beside the active runway musta been p*ssing razor blades when she didn't come 'round as expected. He/she deserves some credit here, as well. Just my $0.02.

I'd like to commend the good training this student received and fell back on. That poor CFI waiting for her beside the active runway musta been p*ssing razor blades when she didn't come 'round as expected. He/she deserves some credit here, as well. Just my $0.02.

Worse he supposedly had a handheld which means he heard her go down. I think I’d just have a heart attack right there and need an ambulance sent out. Ha.

Good on her for getting it down in such a tight spot.

Any word on what the actual failure was? Haven't really read into it much, but seems to be running fine at idle at around the 1:33 mark in the video.

If you look at he history just before the landing, it appears she was doing maneuvers and T&G, then taxied back. This sounds like a first solo. What an incredible job

Any word on what the actual failure was? Haven't really read into it much, but seems to be running fine at idle at around the 1:33 mark in the video.

Pure speculation, but given that it's a 2014 172SP it has a fuel distribution spider which can be a point of failure.

wow - concur on the rats nest of power lines looking down that street! Funny commentary by the CFI on "landed on Hamilton, hold short of Newland"

Back