Does this look legit? (ADS-B)

I think it could be true as it’s only Ads-b out.

My avionics guy is going to be a distributor for them when they get final approval. He thinks that it will happen soon.

It *should* be legit. They were at Sun-n-Fun and told one of my friends they were very close to certification for certificated aircraft. There is supposed to be a large list of STCd airframes approved once they get certified. They were hoping to get certs by February, but the process is going slowly for reasons that are not made public. Either the FAA is slow, or something needs to get changed in the design/function/etc of the type submitted for cert. I'm seriously hoping for it to be certified, as I'm planning (albeit tentatively) to install one shortly after certification.

There is a tail light version also in the works if you don't want to replace your wingtip strobes.

Since I don't really care about the "in" stuff, I am looking at this for my C-180.

There is a tail light version also in the works if you don't want to replace your wingtip strobes.

Since I don't really care about the "in" stuff, I am looking at this for my C-180.

That could have problems with RF shielding down and forward by the fuselage.

Less likely a real problem due to difference in frequency, but if you rely on your VOR/Localizer much for IFR, putting a transmitter back there inches from the Nav antenna (if yours is top mounted on the tail) could also create some issues.

Just mentioning it. Your call.

I talked to them at SnF one thing not settled yet is power, how to get it approved without running new wires to power it. Using existing wires would turn it off if the nav lights were switched off.

No VOR installed no IFR planned. So don't really care as long as it meets the requirement to have it.

Or, I could just stay away from Anchorage airspace.

No VOR installed no IFR planned. So don't really care as long as it meets the requirement to have it.

Or, I could just stay away from Anchorage airspace.

Makes sense. Only thing I’d be worried about up there is whether they use the right plastic to not be brittle in the cold.

Company is providing similar stuff for military drones...and considering it for at least my Decathlon...lots of aircraft that this would solve the issue.

Makes sense. Only thing I’d be worried about up there is whether they use the right plastic to not be brittle in the cold.
I'm a little concerned about rock damage from the tailwheel also. But we will see when the time comes.

On the plus side the tail light is the last non-LED light on the plane.

I talked to them at SnF one thing not settled yet is power, how to get it approved without running new wires to power it. Using existing wires would turn it off if the nav lights were switched off.

Yep. To me sharing wiring and cb with nav lights or any other system should be an automatic NO.

My concern would be, once the retrofit market is complete in the next few years, will this company still be there to support it?

My concern would be, once the retrofit market is complete in the next few years, will this company still be there to support it?
That's OK, in a few years, RST will be making DIY kits for 20 bucks,

If something was this simple I'd think the big players would have already done it, and just had the price high enough to still make their profit margins.

Is this a company with any history or is their one trick pony?

If something was this simple I'd think the big players would have already done it, and just had the price high enough to still make their profit margins.

Is this a company with any history or is their one trick pony?

Google can make you look smart. ;)

It's a UAT with built-in WAAS GPS, so very similar to the TSO'd Garmin GDL 82 which sells for $1,795. With an $1,849 price tag for the uAvionix skyBeacon, I opted for the GDL 82 which has been available for six months and has gotten great reviews.

Google can make you look smart. ;)
Lots of people thought they were smart with the NavWorx units too, how did that work out? That was my whole point with this thread. I'd rather get the opinion of POA to put with the propaganda on Google.

Famous last words..... "very close to certification for certificated aircraft"

https://www.iflygps.com/STORE/Product/tso-skybeacon-certified-aircraft

Is this another one of those pie on the sky ADS B solutions that once people pay for them they're going to find out they're not valid in the FAA's eyes for certificated aircraft after all? Seems too simple to be true to me, but I'm no avionics tech guru.

To do ADSB, all you need a $12.00 type 2 GPS, transmitter and Antenna and some code. Can be done for about $75.00 in parts. Certification is the expensive part.

Back