What's your shortest flight?

It is a Tie between two flights. I have done a test flight in a Schreder HP14 and a Schreder HP11, Both flights were an auto tow. Lifted about 8 feet off the ground, Checked all the controls and flew the length of the mile long runway. Then turned it over the owner to fly. These two aircraft I have a total time in my log book of 0.1 hours.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

7 minutes from Tucson to Ryan. Lots of radio changes for a simple 12 mile flight from class C to class D.

KOAK to KHWD. 100LL is $2.00/gallon cheaper at Hayward than at Oakland.

6NM, about 5 minutes.

What did you have to do to get permission to land at Moffett?

I was based there. More specifically, I was in the Air Force assigned to Sunnyvale AFS, and did my flight training at the Navy Flying Club at Moffett. It was the day of my last solo cross country, and the fuel pump at Moffett was broken so the previous pilot had not been able to refuel the plane. I was told to go to Palo Alto to fill up before heading out.

Last edited:
I've done NC26 to 14A as well (drop by here any time, we've finally finished the house construction).

My shortest airport-to-airport flight was likely going form VKX to W32. These airports are closer together than the parallel runways at IAD.

X05 to x39. If the wind is from the south, you can take off on 18 make a slight left turn, switch freqs, fly for 5 minutes and land straight in on 14.

This morning I read a CNN article on "World's shortest airline routes", and I thought I'd ask here what's the shortest flight you flew as PIC?

For me, it is the 06C-KDPA hop, at 8 NM. It usually takes me closer to 15 NM to get there, to allow time to clear the pattern at 06C, obtain ATIS from KDPA, contact the tower, and enter the D-class space.

Boeing Field to Renton Municipal...they are separated by a hill. Both patterns (BFI short runway) are east of their respective airports, so when you leave the Boeing pattern you SHOULD fly across RTN to get to its pattern; not unusual to get a base entry from the non-pattern side if you ask nicely and the controllers are in a good mood.

Bob

Time wise it's a tie between Appleton to Greenbay and Travis AFB to McClellen, at about 12 minutes. Distance it's about 300 yards, from one side of the Akwe River to the other, up by Yakutat, Alaska.

I bounce between Montgomery and Gillespie in San Diego a couple times a month. The flight is literally a couple of minutes. A little longer though if you file it for marine layer and get sequence into the ILS

Has anyone done 8NC9 - 0A7? These are two airports in Hendersonville NC that are right next to each other. One has a single grass runway and the other a single paved runway. The runways are parallel to each other but only about 500’ apart. It’s crazy. I haven’t landed at either one ... yet.

About 350 feet. Then the plane stopped flying and proceeded to use up the 'chute, the brakes, the tires, the runway and went into the over-run area and crash barrier.
What a RUSH!

Ditto, but did the opposite, calm quiet early morning, rwy05 to rwy24, just high enough to clear the power lines. No, I did not call Potomac airborne.
Ditto ditto...5,900 feet when I take my plane over to Danny for maintenance. A call to center for a flight plan, a call to Tracon for a squawk, and yes, I did check in with Potomac airborne...all for a 40 second flight from runway 24 at VKX to runway 5 at W32.

KBDQ-KBDQ

Distance.... 0. Took off, engine burbled, set it down.

Got you beat. I've had a couple where I've taxied out, flunked the plane during runup and taxied back to the hangar, without ever taking the runway.

Now, you've got me beat if we're talking about where we've actually lifted off. That would be KPWT - KPWT, one time around the pattern. The rubber seal on the door of the Arrow was loose and banging on the outside of the plane. Came back around and landed. FBO fixed it with some glue and we took off again. And this was with the old Wings program CFI sitting in the right seat. :D

Last year I did that. $2k later I was able to fly. a D3000 mag is not very economical.

Cross country? KIXD -> K34, 3.4 nm

This morning I read a CNN article on "World's shortest airline routes", and I thought I'd ask here what's the shortest flight you flew as PIC?

For me, it is the 06C-KDPA hop, at 8 NM. It usually takes me closer to 15 NM to get there, to allow time to clear the pattern at 06C, obtain ATIS from KDPA, contact the tower, and enter the D-class space.
RAP - RCA

Back