Prescription glasses

Hey Zack... I am a pilot and also work in the optical dispensing biz. Tell us more about your "quadrafocals". That's a lot of vision corridors.

Good afternoon Rob,
Thank you for your message. Basically, the lenses have 4 seperate fields of vision: distance, near and 2 intermediate corrections; one intermediate power addition is calculated for the lower panel viewing distance and the second intermediate add power is designed for the above head panel viewing distance. All four visual fields have premium AR and true color tint for increased contrast in dim cockpit lighting and hazy outside weather conditions. The lens has a Chemistrie G15 clip that has the depth dimension equal to the distance vision field depth to provide sun protection and increase viewing comfort while it does not impair near or intermediate viewing fields for increased safety. We have been producing a very small number of the lenses over the past few months and after receiving some positive feedback, have decided to begin to launch the design to the pilot community this summer. My updated profile picture is of one of the pilots we made a pair for. If anyone would like to see some more images, my email address if zmason@questopticallab.com.
Hey Zack... I am a pilot and also work in the optical dispensing biz. Tell us more about your "quadrafocals". That's a lot of vision corridors.

Good afternoon Rob,
Thank you for your message. Basically, the 4 fields of vision that the lenses have are distance, near and 2 intermediate corrections: one intermediate power addition is calculated for the lower panel viewing distance and the second intermediate add power is designed for the above head panel viewing distance. All four visual fields have premium AR and true color tint for increased contrast in dim cockpit lighting and hazy outside weather conditions. The lens has a Chemistrie G15 clip that has the depth dimension equal to the distance vision field depth to provide sun protection and increase viewing comfort while it does not impair near or intermediate viewing fields for increased safety. We have been producing a very small number of the lenses over the past few months and after receiving some positive feedback, have decided to begin to launch the design to the larger pilot community this summer. My profile picture is of one of the pilots we have made these lenses for. I am wondering what might be the most effective method of marketing this product....At the moment I am contacting Optometrists and Ophthalmologists who are pilots to see if there is any interest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Pilot Quatro Image.png
    Pilot Quatro Image.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 16
  • PILOT-FOTO2.jpg
    PILOT-FOTO2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 18
  • PILOT QUATRO CLEAR.jpeg
    PILOT QUATRO CLEAR.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 17
Seems very complicated, expensive, with small focal zones. Here's the glasses referred to earlier with the small inverted bi-focal dropped to the bottom. This is covered by standard vision insurance from my employer.

Too many zones or progressives give me a headache. This works great for flying. Very wide focal area where I can move my eyes instead of moving my head as much.
IMG_6534_zpsnlkysh1g.jpg

Seems very complicated, expensive, with small focal zones. Here's the glasses referred to earlier with the small inverted bi-focal dropped to the bottom. This is covered by standard vision insurance from my employer.

Too many zones or progressives give me a headache. This works great for flying. Very wide focal area where I can move my eyes instead of moving my head as much.
IMG_6534_zpsnlkysh1g.jpg
My long time eye-guy (recently retired) is also a pilot. He recommended that style of bifocals for me, too. I liked them a whole lot better than the normal lined. I've since moved on to progressive lenses after I started needing trifocals.

Recently, I switched to Biofinity Multifocal contacts and I have been pretty happy with it. These multifocal contacts have come a long way since I tried them 5 years ago.

Lasik eye surgery + drug-store reading glasses works really well.

The lasik gives you 20-20 or better vision at infinity. Reading glasses provide good vision at all angles when you're looking at stuff in the cockpit.
+1 Dad had the surgery done, and told me that had he known of it, he'd have had it done 30 years ago. He just turned 19, and holds a current classIII, finished his flight review last week. He wears glasses still, but they are plain glass, with "bifocal" lens. His reasoning was that he doesn't have to put his reading glasses on. (he's worn corrective eyewear since the 40's)

When I graduated to trifocals the eye doc was a pilot, and he provided correction for distance, instrument panel, and approach plate clipped to the yoke. Worked like a dream because he knew those distances so well.

Bob

Recently, I switched to Biofinity Multifocal contacts and I have been pretty happy with it. These multifocal contacts have come a long way since I tried them 5 years ago.

I wear these also. I am very happy with them.

I wear these also. I am very happy with them.

@sarangan and @Mike Smith, could you elaborate a little further on these? I wear progressive lense glasses now. I used to wear contacts (I'm nearsighted) but as I got older to wear contacts I also needed reading glasses. How well do the work, etc?

@sarangan and @Mike Smith, could you elaborate a little further on these? I wear progressive lense glasses now. I used to wear contacts (I'm nearsighted) but as I got older to wear contacts I also needed reading glasses. How well do the work, etc?
In essence, it is a bifocal contact lens. There is an inner ring for near vision and the outer is for distance. It did take a couple of tries to get the prescription right, but I love them.

ETA, there is a trade off of sorts, my near vision is fantastic, distance is so-so. To get the distance better, the near would suffer. That is where the tweaking came in.

The next time you go in for an eye appointment, ask for a sample pair. They have either 2 or 3 built-in focal distances, and your eye and brain adapt to use the correct portion of the lens at the appropriate time. Allegedly, some people make that adjustment better than others.

I have used them on and off for years. When I don't use the contacts, I have glasses for distant vision but don't require readers as long as I remove the distance correcting glasses. My experience is that multifocals are a good compromise. They allow you to do everything reasonably well. However, they are not as crisp at distance as my glasses are, and are not as crisp up close (for me) as uncorrected vision would be. IMO, one of the great advantages of the multifocals is they allow the use of non-prescription sunglasses.

I have these "progressive" lenses, but am not satisfied with the performance. It seems to have the clearest view in a very narrow range and both eyes must be in the same area to get a clear view. Although still requiring head movement, the close focus seems fine and is great for the cockpit view. But, I would like to be able to just move my eyes from side to side and upper corners and have it be clear so as I don't have to move my head. So, this leads to my questions.

As a pilot who wears glasses, are you happy with your "progressive" lenses?
Are there certain types or brands that provide a better range of view?
Would you prefer bi-focals instead?
Any ideas to ask the eye Dr. to get the best prescription and construction for pilot use?
Is there a great product out there that I may not know about?
I have these "progressive" lenses, but am not satisfied with the performance. It seems to have the clearest view in a very narrow range and both eyes must be in the same area to get a clear view. Although still requiring head movement, the close focus seems fine and is great for the cockpit view. But, I would like to be able to just move my eyes from side to side and upper corners and have it be clear so as I don't have to move my head. So, this leads to my questions.

As a pilot who wears glasses, are you happy with your "progressive" lenses?
Are there certain types or brands that provide a better range of view?
Would you prefer bi-focals instead?
Any ideas to ask the eye Dr. to get the best prescription and construction for pilot use?
Is there a great product out there that I may not know about?

With progressives you have to point your nose at what you want to see. That's the way they work, especially for intermediate vision. There are many progressive styles, so ask which design might suit you best. I've had progressives for many years, and have had no problem with them in the cockpit or with sports. If you want to avoid pointing your nose at what you want to see, consider bifocals or trifocals, but they come with different compromises in visual field which you may or may not like. I can't tolerate lined bifocals. YMMV.

I have had progressive is for many years, and I have noticed that sometimes there is a slight difference in how different lenses are cut.

When jumping from my regular clear glasses to my sunglasses it takes a minute or two for my eyes to adjust to the curvature of the new glasses.

Other than that they are great.

Back