MSFS X - Grrrr!

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
Fired up MSFS X last night to re-fly the route we took on Monday evening (OLM - PWT). It suggested exactly the route I had filed. Now, I've got two nits to pick with it (aside from the fact that trim was just about impossible, raising my workload).

1. Whoever programmed the ATC communications needs to be hung! "with you"??? NO!

2. Where'd they hide the radio controls that are off the screen? COMM tuning was easy, but the NAV radios were off the screen. Blew right by the approach to the ILS Rwy 19 at PWT cause I couldn't tune the radio. The ATC script gives you options to click that automatically set the COMM radio. Guess I'm going to have to read the instructions. Where's the fun in that? :D

With you? Time to buzz Redmond.

Shift + 2 displays the radio stack in FS2002 & FS2004, I'm assuming it's the same in FSX. Shift + 3 displays the GPS, Shift + 4 displays the throttle quadrant - 5-9 differ by airplane, but the first four are pretty standard.

F10 will also display your "electronic kneeboard" which contains your navlog, checklists, quick-key commands, and aircraft reference data (V-speeds, etc.). Keep in mind all this information is for FS2004, I've not yet used FSX.

Service Pack 2 is now out for FSX, increasing performance and fixing some bugs.

Forget MS ATC, and go fly on VATSIM.

Service Pack 2 is now out for FSX, increasing performance and fixing some bugs.

Forget MS ATC, and go fly on VATSIM.

SP2? Heck, I downloaded and installed SP1 and SP2 last night before I started messing with it. It's the "with you" crap that makes me want to buzz Redmond. :p

Here's a somewhat related question:

I've been holding off on getting FSX and kept FS2004 for a while because one, I'm concerned about performance, and two, I have several payware add-ons to FS2004 and I'm not sure if they'd still work with FSX. Here is a list of what I have - does anyone know if they will work with FSX or if I'll have to buy them again?

Ultimate Traffic
PMDG 737NG (-600, -700, -800, -900)
PSS Airbus Series
Level-D 767-300ER
Eaglesoft Citation X
Eaglesoft Citation CJ1
Eaglesoft Citation CJ2
Eaglesoft Beechjet 400
Eaglesoft Hawker 400XP
PIC ERJ-145
Dreamfleet Bonanza A36

The PMDG 73 is being redone for FSX - the current version doesn't work correctly. The 747 does, and is apparently better in the FSX version.
I don't know about the others.

I agree, fly on vatsim. no need for computer ATC when you have the real thing talking to you. Where do you guys fly online? I fly our Archer II (N28679) out east, usually flying routes I intend to fly in the real world.

I fly for Virtual Continental, various jets around the world. For IFR practice, I fly a Beech 18 Amphib, or B200, at various places.

Usually on as COA863 or N18TM

I fly for Virtual Continental, various jets around the world. For IFR practice, I fly a Beech 18 Amphib, or B200, at various places.

Usually on as COA863 or N18TM

I just got in with Delta VA in their "MD-88 Program". I've been doing a few hops in the fleet Maddog this week.

I'm also a controller-in-training at ATL. So far, just DEL and GND, but I working on TWR at the moment.

When I can afford to fly for real, I gotta get my flying fix SOMEWHERE!

Where do you guys fly online?

Flight sim hasn't been working on my computer lately, but I am the Deputy Air Traffic Manager and a Staff Instructor at the Virtual Boston ARTCC (vZBW).

You can usually find me plugged in on a Boston position, or instructing a student on one.

I don't fly for a VA, but I typically fly CO planes of various types or the BE36 for IFR and VFR flying. I try to fly out of the Houston area as much as possible, but I will go wherever the controllers are. I usually sign on as COA756, BTA756, or N552CM.

In defense of my good buddies in Redmond:

1) The virtual ATC may not hold a candle to the real thing, and it always starts vectoring you way too far out. HOWEVER, the act of creating a system like that is no mean programming feat, plus I get the feeling that it is somewhat of a back burner thing.

2) Many but not all FS2004 mods do work in FSX

3) Accelerations is awesome, but you will probably only notice a difference if a) you really want the P51 or b) you have a Direct X 10 compatible graphics card (or two) to handle the new graphics pipeline, which rocks by the way.

~ Christopher

In defense of my good buddies in Redmond:

1) The virtual ATC may not hold a candle to the real thing, and it always starts vectoring you way too far out. HOWEVER, the act of creating a system like that is no mean programming feat, plus I get the feeling that it is somewhat of a back burner thing.

2) Many but not all FS2004 mods do work in FSX

3) Accelerations is awesome, but you will probably only notice a difference if a) you really want the P51 or b) you have a Direct X 10 compatible graphics card (or two) to handle the new graphics pipeline, which rocks by the way.

~ Christopher

Can't complain about when the vectoring started going from OLM to PWT. It mimicked real life from Monday night. And my CFII was using "with you", as well. Not the time to bug him about that. :p

I've put Accelerations on my Christmas list. I've got a high powered graphics card (8800 GTS) on the machine (E6700 Core(tm) 2 Duo processor, 2 GBytes RAM), so it won't be stressed. :D

Just an aside, I have a QX6850 (the quad version of the Core 2), OC'd about 3.6 stable, dual Radeon HD2950s and 4 Gigs of Ram, and I cannot run Accelerations at full throttle without a serious slowdown.

~ Christopher

P.S. I do have a legitimate work use, at least for the CPU.

Hi

I strongly suggest you try flying with Vatsim (on-line ATC) - the immersion factor is terrific and it really improves the realism of the sim...

I also suggest that you put a Go-flight radio module on you Christmas list - it is much easier to dial and switch frequencies with the Go-flight hardware - once you try it you will never accept to use your mouse/keyboard for fiddling with the radios.

http://www.goflightinc.com/order/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=40

Merry Christmas :)

Flight sim hasn't been working on my computer lately, but I am the Deputy Air Traffic Manager and a Staff Instructor at the Virtual Boston ARTCC (vZBW).

You can usually find me plugged in on a Boston position, or instructing a student on one.

That's great, Jason! I just recently started training as a controller in ZFW ARTCC (dallas/fort worth).

What is MSFX Accelerations? I'll have to look when I get home; all of the gaming sites are blocked here.

Its an expansion pack for FS:X that adds a P-51 a F-15 and a helicopter as well as air racing and DirectX 10 support.

~ Christopher

I just got in with Delta VA in their "MD-88 Program". I've been doing a few hops in the fleet Maddog this week.

I've been with DVA for a couple of years - I worked up to the DC-8 program but thankfully I now have enough cash to pretty much get my fix in the real world!

Acceleration is fun except for the helo missions which always seem to stick you in a hover next to a cliff with no visual reference.:mad:

Back