Blue Angels @ KEAU (Eau Claire,WI) - Can I Fly In?

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
I just noticed in the Midwest Flyer's magazine that the Blue Angel's will be performing at Eau Claire, WI on June 16-17. That's a nice short flight for us. I even have a friend there with a hangar I could probably park the plane in if needed.

It sure would be awesome to fly there to see it. So a couple of questions:

1.) Is this allowed/possible?
2.) When are valid arrival/departure times for personal aircraft?
3.) Are there any reasons not to fly in (eg. fee's, restrictions)
4.) Are there any perks to flying in (eg. admission price, better view, etc)
5.) Can you still access your own plane during the airshow.

..sure seems like a cool way to see the Blue Angels!

Check the airport web site. The airspace will be closed during ALL performances most likely. So you'd have to arrive early and depart late afternoon would be the normal procedure. But check the web site for the Air show/airport.

@mscard - Is that a Skyraider in your Avatar? I just saw one of those at Flying Cloud this summer - cool!

I'll be checking the website after I post this.

Still open to any advice regarding flying to a airshow, especially one with the Blue Angels with the big crowds.

Looks like gates open at 8:30am, airshow starts at noon and ends at around 4:15pm.
All the parking and directions are for driving, bus, bicycle so I haven't found anything regarding where GA planes might park.

I see there is a F16 / P51 flying event of some kind as well!

So if they do allow GA planes in, you are definitely stuck from noon to 4:15pm.

I wonder if one of the FBO's will just crank up a ramp fee or something.

@mscard - Is that a Skyraider in your Avatar? I just saw one of those at Flying Cloud this summer - cool!

I'll be checking the website after I post this.

Still open to any advice regarding flying to a airshow, especially one with the Blue Angels with the big crowds.

It won't be difficult. It's not Oshkosh or SnF lol.

No that's the Piper Enforcer, built back in the 80s for ground attack mission. Air Force tested it but never ordered them so the program fizzled out. A Mustang with a turbine engine!

The website doesn’t say any restrictions now but be aware, sometimes they shutdown the GA ramps for display / performer parking at the last minute. I was going to fly into Millington TN last year and leading up to the show, they advertised fly-ins. The day of the show, I noticed that was taken down off the website. I called the FBO and they said their ramp was closed because of no more room. Another FBO said they had room but the ramp was closed by the FAA. Called tower and they said the ramp is physically blocked. No NOTAM for the closed ramp.

The NOTAM for the TFR will probably come out a week prior. It’ll most likely list 1100-1700 local for the times. No penetration of the airspace is allowed during those times. Usually SFC-16,000 within 5 nm. They almost always allow early departures as soon as the Blues are done.

Benefits? You don’t have to deal with vehicle traffic entering/ exiting. A lot of times they have shuttles from the GA ramp to the show line. Just don’t be the loser in the PA28 trying to do a high performance climb because you’re pumped up after watching the Blues. :D

Last edited:
I used to fly out of EAU. IIRC when they had the Blue Angels out there in the past they did in fact shut everything down.

You can probably fly in beforehand, when I used to fly out of there they didn't have any fees but the FBO did change owners right before I moved so that could have changed. Normally it's a very chill class D airport with a tower that will let you do pretty much anything you ask for, a ramp with plenty of parking, and a friendly FBO. For more info just call the FBO, I don't know what their specific event procedures are but they ought to be able to tell you.

I'm sure they'll let you fly in as long as it's before the show and you leave after. There may be a Notam for a TFR on Friday or so for practice before the show too.
You probable won't be able to access your plane during the show, depending where they park you.
Check Notams and call the FBO well before the show to see about fees and parking.
I used to fly in there to watch the Blues years ago when they were flying Heinemann's Hot Rods.

Around here, Rome has the T-birds every year or two. They close the field to inbound aircraft fairly early in the day and you can't depart for a while after the show. Essentially, you're captive for 6, maybe 8 hours. Too much for me, given the lack of shade, the possibility of weather issues, etc.

If you are stuck overnight, acquire some transportation and go up to the Leinie lodge where you can get a free brewery tour which includes free beer samples at the end. Yes, they give you free beer.

https://www.leinie.com/leinie-lodge

Around here, Rome has the T-birds every year or two. They close the field to inbound aircraft fairly early in the day and you can't depart for a while after the show. Essentially, you're captive for 6, maybe 8 hours. Too much for me, given the lack of shade, the possibility of weather issues, etc.

They put you right in the crowd as well. That’s the primary reason why I don’t do Rome. I have no problems showing people around my plane but with 50,000 people at a show, I’d have to watch it like hawk. Too many opportunities for aircraft being damaged.

I flew into the Dayton Airshow once. Wasn't a deal, though it was the mother of all NOTAMs.

Call the FBO and ask. I flew into Tuscaloosa regional airport (KTCL) to watch the Blue Angels a few years ago. So did a TON of other people. Had to be there before the notam took effect and you were stuck until the end of the air show. And at that point it rivaled Oshkosh leaving. Best way to attend an airshow if you ask me. Do it!

Fly in whenever you want, when the Tower says they are closed, declared minimum fuel and land. Allegient did that in Fargo :d:d

Did you ever get any answers to this? I was just looking at this show today and thought it would be a fun day-trip but wondered too about flying in. I messaged the event on Facebook, but haven't heard back yet, and the only contact info on the event website is for the Boy Scout office.

Did you ever get any answers to this? I was just looking at this show today and thought it would be a fun day-trip but wondered too about flying in. I messaged the event on Facebook, but haven't heard back yet, and the only contact info on the event website is for the Boy Scout office.
Just got off the phone with someone at the Airport Manager's office...and I am pretty sure it was the airport manager.

GA planes are welcome :) She said it will be NOTAM closed around 11:30am and stay that way until 5pm. She said GA parking would be up north. I've never been to the airport. Looking at the satellite view I could see that meaning up along the north east side of the long runway or on the northwest side of the short runway.

She said the crowds will not be allow in this GA parking area. Actually, she said that transportation will be provided from the GA plane parking area to the show and back. I read that to mean a person won't be casually walking back and forth to your plane. And since the airport will be closed for about 6hrs they probably have no reason to even run the shuttle then?

This sounds like good news!!! She didn't mention use of the FBO so maybe that is between the FBO and whoever wants to try park there.

I did not ask about access to fuel as I plan to have enough to fly there and back with plenty of reserves.

Usually, the Blues shutdown everything ahead of the crowd line form about an hour before until after they're done. I'm betting you couldn't get to your plane even if you walked it during the show.

Just got off the phone with someone at the Airport Manager's office...and I am pretty sure it was the airport manager.

GA planes are welcome :) She said it will be NOTAM closed around 11:30am and stay that way until 5pm. She said GA parking would be up north. I've never been to the airport. Looking at the satellite view I could see that meaning up along the north east side of the long runway or on the northwest side of the short runway.

She said the crowds will not be allow in this GA parking area. Actually, she said that transportation will be provided from the GA plane parking area to the show and back. I read that to mean a person won't be casually walking back and forth to your plane. And since the airport will be closed for about 6hrs they probably have no reason to even run the shuttle then?

This sounds like good news!!! She didn't mention use of the FBO so maybe that is between the FBO and whoever wants to try park there.

I did not ask about access to fuel as I plan to have enough to fly there and back with plenty of reserves.

Thanks for the info, and doing the hard work! :) Sounds doable then, except, I just checked the schedule and the Arrow I'd rent is booked both days! :( One of the 172s is available however on Saturday, so I'll have to weigh my options.

Thanks for the info, and doing the hard work! :) Sounds doable then, except, I just checked the schedule and the Arrow I'd rent is booked both days! :( One of the 172s is available however on Saturday, so I'll have to weigh my options.
I hope you get to go. First, lets hope wx is decent. At least there are 2 days to pick from.

Maybe as we get close, if wx isn't a bust...we can list who is going and try meet up somewhere!

Usually, the Blues shutdown everything ahead of the crowd line form about an hour before until after they're done. I'm betting you couldn't get to your plane even if you walked it during the show.
Looking at the airport and her description I have a hunch the GA planes would be parked across the runway from the main show viewing area.

Also, the person I spoke to was not the Airport Manager. However, I got the impression she had been asked this before. And I could hear her asking someone else in the background which probably was the manager.

Yep, and across the runway is almost certainly in the aerobatic box and will be absolutely scoured clean of humans before the Blues even start their engines.
At SnF they cleared out half the camp ground during the performance. At Oshkosh, they had to move people out of the homes and businesses on the backside of the airport. At FDK a few years ago, they even stopped traffic on the interstate.

I hope you get to go. First, lets hope wx is decent. At least there are 2 days to pick from.

Maybe as we get close, if wx isn't a bust...we can list who is going and try meet up somewhere!
I'm pretty locked in to going Saturday, as I have a meeting at 7pm on Sunday. It's at my airport, so if I had the Arrow, I could probably make it back in time, but doubtful in the 172.

At this point, in the ideal world (read: perfect weather) - we will be going to the Fagen Fighters fly-in and airshow on Saturday (KGDB, Granite Falls, MN) and would then go to this Blue Angels airshow on Sunday.

We've been wanting to see the Fagen museum and I have really been wanting to see their P-38 - both up close parked and and when they fly it later in the day.

As we get closer I will post which day we finally go and if we end up going on Saturday it sounds like we could meet up!

Update:

I am out Saturday (today) for sure. Wx (TSTORMS and winds) at my departure and return.

Sunday: Forecast now would allow me in but I'd be on pins and needles while trapped at the show because there a strong prediction of TSTORMS back at my return airport after 5pm which is when they let you out. If the forecast changes tonight in favor of going I'll update this again. Bummed :(

Back