IFR Training Decision

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
Well, To prove that miracles never cease I passed my instrument written yesterday. Now I am waiting to get my Mooney out of the avionics shop and I am ready to fly my butt off until my instrument checkride.

Here are my choices:

o Fly with the instructor that taught me basic flight many years ago. I like him, trust him, but he is busy and a 30 minute flight away. He made it clear that I must fly to him.

o Fly with a guy who comes to my home field in the middle of the week every week. Known as a competent instructor, but honestly I just don’t like the guy.

o Bring in one of the traveling teachers that come and stay until I am done, expen$ive.

o Go to Addison or another big GA DFW airport and camp out until done. Expen$ive but let’s me learn in the system.

Fly to the instructor your comfortable with,you can never have to much flying time.

Go with he instructor that will make your training a complete pain in the ass, so that way when you start flying IFR on your own it will be a non-event.

I went through a similar situation and elected to fly to my instructor after going up with a few others which I didn't like. Good choice though it did drag things out a little and made flying on days of actual not possible.

Yeah the flying in and shooting approaches in actual is a huge consideration.

I would go with the guy you trust. You get to build PIC time (maybe apply towards your Commercial certificate next?) and there's nothing that can replace an instructor that you fully trust. If you've got the time and fuel money, it's a no brainer to me...

Good feedback! Thanks! I don’t need the flight time for any ratings, but my instincts tell me to fly with the guy I have confidence in. I am tied up next week and want to start flying week after so please keep the comments and advice coming.

How are you going to shoot approaches in actual if your guy won't come to you?

I’d try the local guy. If you have a huge personality mismatch then you have a back up plan. You might be surprised at some of the little not great habits that might get picked up on with a new set of eyes too. Plus at your home base you have better chance at IMC.

Have to areee with trying a different instructor. Most of my instructors have been great, but I learn something a little different from each of them.

Plus some are better suited for different types of training. My multi guy was great at multi but not a good fit for me on my instrument. My instrument guy I ended up usingwas great, but I don’t think he would be the best primary instructor.

I try to fly with different instructors in different situations frequently. They all have different approaches and I pick what fits me the best.

I am concerned about you not liking the local guy. Fitting well with an instructor, particularly for instruments is really important.

I was ready for my checkride before I had enough hood hours. This was partially because of the equipment but had a lot to do with the ground school time, I didn’t keep track, but I bet we had 50 hours of ground time.

Some people like to save money and use a safety pilot (which could be really good if the safety pilot was someone that flew in the system regularly). I figured the plane was the expensive part and that I might as well get the hours with a qualified instructor YMMV.

Jim

How are you going to shoot approaches in actual if your guy won't come to you?
That's the problem I see with having to fly to your instructor. On the days you want to fly with actual weather you won't be able to.

That's the problem I see with having to fly to your instructor. On the days you want to fly with actual weather you won't be able to.
Of course there is no requirement that anybody actually have actual in order to get the rating. However I think you are shorting yourself immensely if you don't. Also I suggest doing most of the training at night so you can't inadvertently cheat by catching glimpses of the ground out the corner of your eye which invariably happens no matter what view limiting device you use.

o Bring in one of the traveling teachers that come and stay until I am done, expen$ive.

It may just seem expensive because you are spending the money in a very short time frame. Figure your costs if they are dragged out over many weeks/months.

Not recommending either, just a suggestion to view the costs from both angles.
Good luck!
I'm jealous..

Of course there is no requirement that anybody actually have actual in order to get the rating. However I think you are shorting yourself immensely if you don't. Also I suggest doing most of the training at night so you can't inadvertently cheat by catching glimpses of the ground out the corner of your eye which invariably happens no matter what view limiting device you use.

According to the FAA, the #3 cause of GA aircraft fatalities is engine failure. My personal risk management matrix reduces night training in single engine aircraft to the minimum FAA requirements for the certificate sought. I also have 800-1 minimums for IFR training over flatlands. YMMV

Yea I didn't get any actual for my IR. I still don't have any. It sucks. I won't fly actual until I have flown actual with an instructor. Unfortunately, there are certain parts of the country (such as Arizona), where it is very difficult to get actual. Almost impossible actually. I thought about going over to California to find some, but the reality is my Cherokee 140 isn't a great IFR flyer in the mountainous west. My hope is to get some actual IFR in a more capable airplane than mine.

IMC here today, again. Had to cancel a couple of flying gets already. :(

Back