Have you built any aviation related items?

I converted a headset to ANR... and replaced the wiring on a headset for my flight instructor.

Design drawings for instrument panel (paid a company to water jet cut and powder coat it)
USB hub in the center stack
Design drawings for increased cooling to rear cylinders
Floor panel to convert the Comanche to a cargo hauler with the back seat out
Text weather grabber that shows color coded flight rules

Old out-of-limits Tiger prop:

14907091388_3e81cf682f.jpg

6 RST head sets, numerous engines, several aircraft.

Affirmative. I found a thread on reddit that had some code and the idea. I modified the code for my sectional. I’ll try to find the link later. At work now
This weather board is just plain awesome. Any plans to make these and sell them on Etsy? I can't get over how awesome it is. As far as imitating it, I'm mostly curious about the lights you chose to display the different colors in the space of an airport symbol on the sectional. The rest is an exercise in building and coding, but finding a best-fit component among the billions of options on the market is always hard.

This weather board is just plain awesome. Any plans to make these and sell them on Etsy? I can't get over how awesome it is. As far as imitating it, I'm mostly curious about the lights you chose to display the different colors in the space of an airport symbol on the sectional. The rest is an exercise in building and coding, but finding a best-fit component among the billions of options on the market is always hard.

I briefly considered making a few. The borrowed code I used says I can’t sell it. So I might ask a friend of mine to write a new program and give him a cut. I finished this one just before I left for OKC to train as a controller. So I have a bit on my plate right now

You can build a drone. There are plenty of instructions online.

I built an app to show a flight's profile, including airspace, and key waypoints. My CFI's eyes rolling was the second best affirmation I've had as a student pilot. (The best, of course, was the congratulatory handshake with the DPE).

flightProfile.png

I'd roll my eyes too since yours should be looking outside, not looking at gadgets.

I built an app to show a flight's profile, including airspace, and key waypoints. My CFI's eyes rolling was the second best affirmation I've had as a student pilot.
I don't know what he was rolling eyes about, I sympathize with the need. My solution was to draw the arrival track on the TAC and put waypoints on it, each labeled with the target altitude, so I didn't have to search for the little 90/50 symbol all over the map. This is especially useful in case when a rough terrain underlines the Bravo, such as in Phoenix. Back then I had to stay clear of Bravo by looking at the landmarks. I wish modern electronic maps allowed for this kind of free-hand planning.

I'd roll my eyes too since yours should be looking outside, not looking at gadgets.

For sure. It was for planning purposes, not for en route use. I fly out of 06C which is very close to KORD, and only 1000' below the class Bravo airspace. I needed something to reinforce level-off altitudes and I whipped together a python app to print a PDF with the flight profile for a hypothetical cross-country trip.

I fabricate a certain part out of steel and sell it on aircraftspruce.

Maybe we should start a thread for what you built but cannot tell anybody about so that the big bad FAA bear doesn't come knocking on your door. ;)

Depends on what you mean by “build.” Does designing something that’s aviation related qualify? I’m one of the designers and patent holders of the Sniper targeting system that flies on the F16 and other aircraft. Actual fab & assy is performed by factory technicians.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_Advanced_Targeting_Pod

Does that qualify?

I built my first hang glider in 1975 and flew it for 4-5 years. I shudder to think about how unairworthy it was.

I built an aluminum holder for my Garmin 496 and an engine pre-heater "chimney" out of cardboard, duct tape, and PVC. I meant for it to be a model to prove the design would work, then build a better one from sheet aluminum, but it worked so well, I just kept using it. A small electric space heater provides the heat which rises up through the "chimney" and into the engine compartment.

Someone beat him to it:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/avo/d/aviation-weather-maps/6568752423.html

Maybe we should start a thread for what you built but cannot tell anybody about so that the big bad FAA bear doesn't come knocking on your door. ;)
What with owning an E-AB, that's not sumptin I worry about.

The key to the billet gas cap that I made for the new gas tank that I made.

20180601_073313.jpg

Back