Have you built any aviation related items?

Artimas

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Artimas
I was thinking it would be cool to DIY or build some aviation related items on those rainy days I can't fly. Have you built anything cool that's aviation related?

"Aviation related items" is a very very vague term, be careful.
You mean quilt a blanket with an aviation theme? Or build an O-320 in your garage?
Specificity is your friend, especially here on PoA. :D

I myself build aviation items for fun, such as toys that help me out in the cockpit etc. Finishing up an altitude reminder device right now which will help me keeping my altitude in check, especially during busy phases of flight, such as single-pilot approaches in IMC etc.

What do you build?

I helped pay for my flight instructors car. Does that count? :D

Tim

I built a Stratux :cool:

I built a battery pack that I could plug into the aux power output jack of my Maule to power the avionics bus in the event of an aircraft electrical failure.

Oops...did I type that out loud?

Stratux is best bang for your buck. I built a few. stratux.me on the web.

I took some scissors to an old t-shirt and made an oil rag. Does that count?

I built a statux, a stand for spark plugs, a tool for the really large nuts on my wheels, I cut a 1 inch wrench for the oil filter and a 3/4 inch wrench for the spark plugs and welded them together to save space in my tool box. I'm getting my KX and MX 170's replaced and will have a hole in my panel. I'm making a glove box for the hole that will hold my statux and cell phone and the door will have a mount for a tablet. It will have a four way USB outlet.

I've built headsets, two new seats, re-upholstered one of them, various external camera mounts, a couple iterations of the instrument panel, etc.

Ron Wanttaja

An airplane

IMG_20170814_062732.jpg

Put this sim together, starting with a bunch of computer components... The touchscreen GTN750/650 fly instrument approaches virtually the same as our 182. Great for currency.

0501181116.jpg

I've built headsets, two new seats, re-upholstered one of them, various external camera mounts, a couple iterations of the instrument panel, etc.
Your most famous invention is the FlyBaby ejection seat, I think

Two Stearmans worth of ribs. Stinson Junior ribs. Radio mounts, GPS mounts. ELT bracket. New tailwheel springs. Antenna mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I helped (assisted) building some armrests and a battery box for a 172. I think we did some baffling, too, but it was a long while back. . .

When I was in training I made an electronic flight planner in Excel, formatted similar to a XC paper planner, just to see if I could replicate the numbers FF kicked out.

I just finished building a house looking out over a 3000' grass runway. Does that count?

Stratux, portable engine pre-heater for my Cherokee, custom dash mount for my iPad (Velcro attached to stay legal).

Next projects: portable air conditioner for the back seat, and I'm going to turn an old kx-170 into a base station for the hangar (for just listening of course ;))

Early Cirrus’s had issues with water intruding into the static ports.

I came up with Fast Eddie Static Port Water Incursion Prevention Devices.

21459032833_25cb39708f.jpg

Offered them for free on COPA and sent out nearly 100 over the years.

Yup....just finished this lil project. ;)

Attachments

• ECFBB871-9174-4CA7-B9EF-CD5E5DC6F3B4.jpg
    ECFBB871-9174-4CA7-B9EF-CD5E5DC6F3B4.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 62DA75CF-CF18-42CE-8330-F7FEC77F7307.jpg
    62DA75CF-CF18-42CE-8330-F7FEC77F7307.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 45
Back