Advice: 170 hours, 4 years, 2 practical test failures=frustrated

I suspect my situation might be extreme but not completely unheard of. I'm in my late fifties, work in financial services, with plenty of time in the back of business jets and millions of miles in commercial aviation travel. I've always wanted to fly but early on, the economics didn't square with starting a family, then a business, a later, the time commitments of being a senior businessman precluded the commitment required.
So finally in 2013 with the kids out of the house, and some business stability, I figured I'd just start taking lessons whenever possible, first in a 172, then in a DA40. It was a battle carving out time, but over the next four years I managed to accumulate, as of last week, 174 hours, with >45 hours solo. I've had five separate sign-offs for my checkride, three cancelled, once for business reasons, once for weather, once for equipment. The two tests I did take were failures; the first last summer when I unwisely tried to take it at an unfamiliar airport during an incredibly stressful span of time (immediately prior to both moving, and changing jobs) where the DPE basically said take me back after I fumbled my lost procedure. The second was last week which I took in a DA20. (the DA40 was down for service for 3 weeks and counting with no end in sight)
I aced the oral portion, messed up the practical pretty severely, and don't fault the DPE's decision in the least.

I could point to multiple reasons for this second failure, but rather than sound like I'm making excuses, would like to pose the the community the question: what would you do in my situation to wrap this up? Money is not a constraint, but time sure is. The flight school community is populated by some really great, committed, hard working people who love flying, but peel back the incentives and the reality is: what school operators want most is selling flight hours to help amortize their equipment fixed costs, and what CFIs want most is to build hours on someone else's dime so they can get a job with an airline. (which describes my last three)
Realistically, there just isn't anyone in the system who really wants to take ownership of the outcome for me.

I've seen American Flyers and a few other groups who offer 'finishing' programs that sound a lot like what I might need, so maybe I should bite the bullet, take a week off and camp at some stable-wx zipcode and practice maneuvers 5 hours a day? Another alternative might be to shop around for a 'private' CFI as their sole student with the single goal of getting me through my test. If such a thing exists?
Anyhow, I'm pretty frustrated, really want to pass this test, and curious to hear what others think...

Forgive me for saying this, but it seems from your description that you are expecting to be "taught" rather than take the lead in your training. The first thing you need to do is fully analyze the checkride, and find out which areas you need to focus on. In fact, you should be doing this after each and every flight, and write down what you did well and what you need to work on. 'Fumbled my lost procedures' is very nondescriptive. What exactly happened that could cause a failure? For the second checkride, all you could come up with is that you "messed up". Again, that does not tell us (or you) anything to go on.

CFI's jump from one student to another, and for what they get paid, you can't fault them for not thoroughly analyzing your strengths and weaknesses, and being your personal coach. That's your job. Even a private CFI with lots of time is not going to help you with that. I've had a couple of students who could not get to the checkride phase even after well over 100 hours, and the only thing I could conclude about them was that they were so busy that they rarely spent any time thinking about their flight training. Each hour in the cockpit needs at least another hour, if not more, of self-analysis.

My advice for Mr. Senior Businessman - learn to delegate.

and congrats for finally getting it done.

Congrats!

The next dilemma: staying proficient. My battle was how rusty I was getting.

Choice A- shelve flying until I could dedicate time.
Choice B- rent regularly (too much work travel and other obligations to reliably schedule the plane or find availability within a few days).
Choice C- buy and fly

6 months after my PPL, B didn’t work for me. So A was the default. Until I did something financially foolish but otherwise great. I did C almost a year after my PPL. But a warning- other things will then start to take a backseat when you have a moment of free time. But it’s a choice. And I may choose to sell tomorrow. Or not.

Fly your butt off. It’s fun and proficiency is safety. I go up with an instructor once in a while still.

Just to close out this thread I started: I passed my retest on Friday, so now with 200 hours and almost five years later, I've passed 'step one' in becoming a real pilot! I'm quoting this last post since I basically followed this advice to the letter: booked two solid weeks of no business travel, reserved the airplane every single day to maximize wx uptime, sought out independant CFIs (but found a new guy at our school who is active Navy pilot), booked two dates for checkride to minimize WX risk, drilled the parts I failed, reverted to the DA40 I've mostly trained in.
I stand by my earlier expressed frustration at the general flight school attitude which just does not sufficiently support the novice pilot. Yes, the prospective pilot needs to 'take charge' of the process, but the flight schools could do much much more in defining and communicating the process to be managed. If I had it to do all over again I would absolutely book a month or two at a dedicated flight school in the Southwest.

Thanks again for all the opinions and especially for the offline offers of help and encouragement. I am approaching my next hurdle, instrument, with a far more informed perspective that will drive a more efficient outcome I hope!

Great news!!!

Congrats!

Choice B- rent regularly (too much work travel and other obligations to reliably schedule the plane or find availability within a few days).
Choice C- buy and fly

6 months after my PPL, B didn’t work for me. So A was the default. Until I did something financially foolish but otherwise great. I did C almost a year after my PPL. But a warning- other things will then start to take a backseat when you have a moment of free time. But it’s a choice. And I may choose to sell tomorrow. Or not.

Fly your butt off. It’s fun and proficiency is safety. I go up with an instructor once in a while still.

Yep, clearly the challenge. My proficiency strategy so far:

a) maximize my GA business travel as much as possible, where I rent a plane and a safety pilot. Safety pilot may or may not be a CFI but whether I am PIC or not I'll get more and more instrument exposure. That could get me out every two weeks on good 2-3 hour XCs.
b) maximize my pleasure airtime by reserving rental well in advance for regular trips to see kids. I can always cancel if WX is bad, but get it on the cal well in advance. could be every weekend, with a 40-50% cancellation rate.
c) My spouse has expressed interest in one of these 'companion' courses, like the AOPA 'Pinch Hitter' program. I plan to call her bluff on that and get her into some classes. 'I just want to know how to land,' she says. Little does she know...

Congrats!

Choice C- buy and fly

So true. I'm currently in this dilemma myself. I settled with option C :)

Bought yet? If not what are you going to buy?
No still searching. I'm looking hard at the Cherokee 160 or the Cessna 150. Open to other low wing options within budget though. My biggest hurdle right now is finding a place to park the plane. Closest airport to me @ PDK has a waiting list for hangars from what I've been told, so might need to consider tie downs. That or travel another 30-50 miles to the next closest airport.

Congratulations @RoadRunner !!! You took charge and got it done :) Keep flying now...its easy to want to relax and slow down but it seems right now is the most important time to keep going.

No still searching. I'm looking hard at the Cherokee 160 or the Cessna 150. Open to other low wing options within budget though. My biggest hurdle right now is finding a place to park the plane. Closest airport to me @ PDK has a waiting list for hangars from what I've been told, so might need to consider tie downs. That or travel another 30-50 miles to the next closest airport.

I would imagine most of the airports around Atlanta have the hangars filled.

Congratulations @RoadRunner !!! You took charge and got it done :) Keep flying now...its easy to want to relax and slow down but it seems right now is the most important time to keep going.
Thanks! dying to but the wx here in mid-atlantic is not conducive. Just booked a Cirrus + safety pilot for a Boston meeting in a few weeks so implementing plan!

Congrats....now go fly, have some fun, and reinforce all that good learning. ;)

Yep, clearly the challenge. My proficiency strategy so far:

a) maximize my GA business travel as much as possible, where I rent a plane and a safety pilot. Safety pilot may or may not be a CFI but whether I am PIC or not I'll get more and more instrument exposure. That could get me out every two weeks on good 2-3 hour XCs.
b) maximize my pleasure airtime by reserving rental well in advance for regular trips to see kids. I can always cancel if WX is bad, but get it on the cal well in advance. could be every weekend, with a 40-50% cancellation rate.
c) My spouse has expressed interest in one of these 'companion' courses, like the AOPA 'Pinch Hitter' program. I plan to call her bluff on that and get her into some classes. 'I just want to know how to land,' she says. Little does she know...
There is a free online pinch hitter course here:
https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/online-learning/online-courses/pinch-hitter

She'll get an idea what would be in store for a more involved pinch hitter course.

You just have to create a free AOPA userid/password.

I would have done a partnership if I could have found one. I’d think in a big metro area that would be easier to find.

Back