Ipad mini question

Ozone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ozone
I have an Ipad mini G2 that's getting a little long in the tooth. I am loathe to get a new Ipad because I have a RAM mount for the mini and I also fly gliders, which dont have a lot of extra room for a "normal' Ipad.

I want to buy a refurb ipad mini4, but i am wondering if folks are seeing the same slow-down that I see when i fire up my G2 mini with an aviation map program (i use fltplan go).

I just bought a new mini 4. No slowdown of either garmin pilot or WingX pro. Price was only 299 @ Best Buy for a 128g. I can’t tell a difference between it and my iPad Air

I just bought a new mini 4. No slowdown of either garmin pilot or WingX pro. Price was only 299 @ Best Buy for a 128g. I can’t tell a difference between it and my iPad Air

Do you just mate it with an external GPS? I ask, because I have a bad elf that would work.

Or, do you link it to your cellular hotspot?

I have an iPad Mini Retina (I think that would be a "2", correct?).

Compared to my current gen iPad Pro 10.5", it is slower when you ask ForeFlight to do the same task. But not so slow that I would call it unusable. For the way I use the iPad in the cockpit, it would still be a workable option.

What helps is that I have removed every app from the Mini that I no longer need for aviation. And before I get moving down the taxiway, I closed all other apps and did the "home button and start button" reboot.

I also have had very good experience with IPad mini 4, however I don’t pair it with any GPS, I only use it for flight planning and as an EFB in flight, map panning is very fast and smooth but it is even faster in ForeFlight than in FltPlan Go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm experiencing good performance with a mini 4, ForeFlight, and iOS 11.3.1. I plan on not upgrading the OS very much more to keep the performance from degrading.

The dimensions of the 4 are a bit different from the 2/3. I don't think the RAM mount you have will work with the 4.

The mounts themselves are relatively cheap, though, and there's still a decent market for used 2s on eBay. I sold my old 2 and bought a used 4 for only about $75 more.

I fly with a mini 4 WiFi-only and a Stratux. I normally use ForeFlight but I also have FltPlan Go installed (I would use it to fly in Canada and really should practice with it more first). I actually keep the OS updated. I am happy with the performance.

Let me guess, you updated the ios

Do you just mate it with an external GPS? I ask, because I have a bad elf that would work.

Or, do you link it to your cellular hotspot?

I link it to the flightstream 210 in my Garmin stack for primary via bluetooth and have a Stratux for a backup using Wingx Pro (wifi link). Both provide GPS and ADSB in.

I have an Ipad mini G2 that's getting a little long in the tooth. I am loathe to get a new Ipad because I have a RAM mount for the mini and I also fly gliders, which dont have a lot of extra room for a "normal' Ipad.

I want to buy a refurb ipad mini4, but i am wondering if folks are seeing the same slow-down that I see when i fire up my G2 mini with an aviation map program (i use fltplan go).

I have a mini4 125GB cellular version, just bought it and has newest iOS, I use Garmin Pilot and don't notice any issues. I would get another.

Back