For Sale Looking For A Hangar San Diego Area Rent / Share

Direct C51

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Direct C51
I just took a transfer to San Diego and am looking for somewhere to put my Sonex. I work at KMYF but it seems like finding a hangar here is pretty much impossible. I'm open to any airport in the greater San Diego area. Ideally I would like to share a hangar as my Sonex is pretty small, and short so I could fit under the wing of a Cessna pretty easily. My Sonex wing would probably be well below most low wing airplanes as well. Does anyone have any leads on a hangar around here that won't break the bank? Thank you.

Thanks for the idea. I'll try to get out there on one of the upcoming Saturday's to join their chapter and talk about hangar options.

Anyone else have any additional ideas, or know someone looking to cut hangar costs by sharing with a little Sonex?

I checked out EAA14 at Brown Field this Saturday. I've got a bit of a rant with the direction the EAA is going. Just about all of the airplanes I saw in the EAA hangars have never or will never fly again. They are junk. I know someone put a lot of time, money, and passion in to each of these projects, but they are now simply junk. They belong as scrap in a junkyard. Nothing was rare, these aren't P51s. Just a bunch of run of the mill half assembled airplanes with an inch of dust, debonding fiberglass, corroded metal, rusted cams, etc. This junk is keeping young, enthusiastic guys like me out of there. Guys who are actively building, flying, and willing to help others build. Instead the EAA is just a social club that meets for breakfast/lunch a couple times a week while they never even open their hangar doors, just letting the dust get thicker. This isn't just EAA14, unfortunately it's what I have seen at all EAA chapters.

That being said, I'm still looking for a hangar. The airports around here are pretty locked down, so there is no roaming around talking to people and asking. I have been calling the hangar owners listed on the county website, but would really prefer to find a hangar mate. Does anyone have any suggestions on finding a hangar mate?

I checked out EAA14 at Brown Field this Saturday. I've got a bit of a rant with the direction the EAA is going. Just about all of the airplanes I saw in the EAA hangars have never or will never fly again. They are junk. I know someone put a lot of time, money, and passion in to each of these projects, but they are now simply junk. They belong as scrap in a junkyard. Nothing was rare, these aren't P51s. Just a bunch of run of the mill half assembled airplanes with an inch of dust, debonding fiberglass, corroded metal, rusted cams, etc. This junk is keeping young, enthusiastic guys like me out of there. Guys who are actively building, flying, and willing to help others build. Instead the EAA is just a social club that meets for breakfast/lunch a couple times a week while they never even open their hangar doors, just letting the dust get thicker. This isn't just EAA14, unfortunately it's what I have seen at all EAA chapters.

That being said, I'm still looking for a hangar. The airports around here are pretty locked down, so there is no roaming around talking to people and asking. I have been calling the hangar owners listed on the county website, but would really prefer to find a hangar mate. Does anyone have any suggestions on finding a hangar mate?
How much real estate does a SONEX take? Seems like it would be able to fit in a hangar with another plane if you get creative.

I’d recommend putting an ad/note on the bulletin board at Gibbs. Several Plus One owners have hangars at MYF and might be able to assist.

If you are a member of Plus One, you can post the request on their online bulletin board/forum.

The Sonex is pretty small. It has a 22' wingspan, with the wings being less than 3' off the ground. Total height to the tip of the tail is 4 1/2'. It can fit pretty well with another airplane in anything but the small T-Hangars. My problem has been finding people to talk to and developing that word of mouth search. Long gone are the days where you can just roam the airport looking for open hangars with guys to talk to.

I'll head over to the Gibbs FBO and today and put a note on the bulletin board. We use Crown Air for the helicopter and I haven't seen a bulletin board in there. I'm also pretty interested in Gillespie, but I have been unable to locate a bulletin board. The airport is so spread out, there isn't a central location that people gather.

I'm not a Plus One member, but it looks like a good club. Those prices aren't wet are they? I just saw they have a happy hour social at Casa Machado tonight, maybe I'll stop by and get the word out.

Saw this on craigslist. I have no affiliation at all, just passing along the link. Hangars at Brown Field:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/avo/d/aircraft-hangar-for-rent/6623532590.html

Was just at Pacific Executive at Ramona. They have 2 T-Hangars available. I didn't check at Chuck Hall or Cruiseair.

Thanks for the help guys. I will call that number on craigslist and see what that is all about.

Ramona is kind of a last resort right now just because of the distance. Gillespie is 25 minutes from home, Brown 30 minutes, Ramona 55 minutes. Montgomery field would be the best at 15 minutes, and that is where I work, but the prices are crazy, unless I can stumble upon a hangar mate situation.

I talked to one of the many (like 10) companies that rent hangars are KSEE today who might have some info on someone looking to share a hangar. That one sounds promising. Hangars in San Diego are not easy to come by, and they sure aren't cheap.

I haven't been to Fallbrook since I beat feet out of SoCal in 1989, but used to work just east of the airport. Used to be a bit more laid back and less busy than the rest of SoCal insanity ... might look there?

Back