Fast Eddie & Kool Karen's (excellent?) Pole Barn Adventure

Just got home from a visit.

The rest of the custom side windows arrived and got installed:

41384150895_968c844e84_z.jpg

Opens up the upstairs "office" (windows overlooking the runway delivered but not yet installed):

41384167885_385373c49d_z.jpg

Upstairs bedroom window installed and siding finished on two sides:

41564476534_6ac4426222_z.jpg

41384152785_b01fbee8a7_z.jpg

Insulation install ongoing.

Bit of a delay getting the electric for the septic pump approved, before they can do a final inspection of the septic and drain field to close them up.

Baby steps...
LOVE the Color!!!!

I'm at home, but got a text with a photo from the contractor a little while ago, asking me to look at it and call him.

I was surprised that a crew was working on Memorial Day. Among other things they installed the upstairs office windows and the downstairs sliding glass door.

But as soon as I saw the photos, I thought, "YIKES!"

41515357615_5926612a75_z.jpg

41515357355_bcb3684f25_z.jpg

Something's going to have to be done - the misalignment of the custom window and the 3-panel window would bug me forever, and the contractor agreed and apologized.

It's the 3-panel window that can be moved before the siding goes up - probably tomorrow.

I'm thinking the options are (all relative to the exterior view):

1) Center the window so both ends of the custom window overhang equally. We could even add faux "shutters" to make things line up.

2) Line up with the left side and not worry about the pointy end overhanging a bit.

3) Line up with the right pointy end and accept the overhang on the left.

If anyone is bored and has mad Photoshop skilz to help me visualize, that would be great.

Aesthetically, what do you guys think? I need to let the contractor know by morning.

Oh, and I also sent him this:

41515358005_0f521f504c_z.jpg

Move the 3 pane to the left (as looking at it from outside) about a foot maybe and center the two.

Last edited:
If you move the window to line up under the triangle window, then it won’t line up with the door below. :)

Karen the OCD nurse has analyzed your predicament and at first her solution was to move both the triangle window and the big window over to the left above the garage door.

When I pointed out the triangle window doesn’t fit in the larger space, she said, “The triangle window has to go. Or be the right size.”

So there ya go. Mrs OCD has given her opinion. Hahaha. Her first reaction was, “Oh no. What did they DO? They’re not lined up!” LOL LOL LOL.

Were it me, I'd get rid of the triangle. It would look great if it lined up and was the same size as the bottom window. The bottom window needs to stay put. It appears to line up with both the room and the door below, and that's where I'd leave it.

After a literal cut and paste, albeit with no paste...

The windows aligned:

42420762341_103d85cf7a.jpg

With trim or shutter panels:

42420762101_9ddb533f8a.jpg

Neither me nor my Karen think alignment with the sliding door is critical.

This is what you get when you work without plans!

Were it me, I'd get rid of the triangle. It would look great if it lined up and was the same size as the bottom window. The bottom window needs to stay put. It appears to line up with both the room and the door below, and that's where I'd leave it.

Thinking this too. Is the triangular window necessary Eddie?

Well, that window is about our only concession to a custom look, and I like how it adds airiness to the upstairs office.

So, we’re keeping it and will minimize the mismatch as best we can.

I'm sure it wasn't a cheap window either. It shouldn't take long for them to fix that.

After a literal cut and paste, albeit with no paste...

The windows aligned:

42420762341_103d85cf7a.jpg

With trim or shutter panels:

42420762101_9ddb533f8a.jpg

Neither me nor my Karen think alignment with the sliding door is critical.

This is what you get when you work without plans!

Won't work unless you do something about the ceiling. Take another
41515357355_bcb3684f25_z.jpg
look at your interior picture. You can't move it left without getting into the ceiling.

BTW - if you're planning to put some sort of overhang above that doorway, like a patio roof, it will break up the misalignment of the door to window. Say, if you ran a roof all the way from the large door on the left to the edge of the building.

Done!

41716899244_89db25953c.jpg

For whatever reason, having the window offset from the sliding glass door does not bother either me or Karen.

The slope and height of the roof makes it obvious there’s a good reason for it, in that the living space is shifted over to accommodate it.

But it’s understandably subjective, and we’re the ones who will have to live with it.

Option #1 would be best IMHO.

That's all that matters, y'all are satisfied and happy. Coming together nicely.

Garage door is in:

27807335357_ca4c29810a.jpg

28802692158_1d04eff54d.jpg

Done with the framing for the garage ceiling:

42675452701_f3ebd97d91.jpg

One minor hitch: In spite the “perc test” showing an area suitable for a drain field, once dug one of three trenches did not drain properly due to underlying rock. Easiest thing to do was to just scale our building permit back from 3 bedrooms to 2. We did pass the final septic inspection with that change. We had only intended 2 rooms as bedrooms anyway, so no big loss.

Karen’s up there now and they started working on our carport and some cement work. More to follow...

Been busy with personal family issues, but here's the nearly completed carport:

42104032304_7bc2b5f1df_z.jpg

Have not been to the property in just over a week. In that time apparently the drywall is done and painting is in progress. Next landmark is the electrical final. Once we have power on and the air conditioner working it will make a world of difference.

Headed up tomorrow and I'll report back with a progress report.

Made a quick trip up and back today.

The garage is now properly "finished" with drywall and insulation:

42193423265_1147240205_z.jpg

We're fine with it as is, but at some future date we could always paint it.

Inside, the painting is done, with a fairly neutral gray that Karen selected:

43047947462_b388f08a42_z.jpg

43047943792_d61ec6c8c4_z.jpg

Electrical is finally supposed to get finished starting Monday. Garage lights, switches, outlets, ceiling lights and fans, etc., etc. Karen and I have purchased most of those already.

Flooring (porcelain ceramic downstairs, vinyl planking upstairs) scheduled for 7/23.

Oh, and a word to the wise: AWD doesn't help much with the wrong tires:

43047946432_aa611dcdde_c.jpg

Fortunately, my contractor has a big, honkin' Ford truck and I had a chain and we got "FLEXIE" pulled out in short order.

Things are plodding along in fits and starts.

Basically, all the electrical and fixtures are in and just need the subcontractor to arrange the final electrical inspection.

Garage lights up:

42777366074_645678d249.jpg

Water heater and air conditioning finalized:

43493778171_f91c2e13b0.jpg

43493783011_c4116a78fe.jpg

Kitchen cabinets and tile mostly in, then just need to grout:

42758793935_a4e321414d.jpg

Bathroom tile proceeding:

42758791655_5e7fc65b84.jpg

Granite countertops ordered and washer/dryer getting delivered next week. Laminate flooring should get started on the second story tomorrow.

Contractor is hoping for the Certificate of Occupancy by the end of August. I hope he means this August!

Last edited:
The garage is now properly "finished" with drywall and insulation:

We're fine with it as is, but at some future date we could always paint it.

I said the same thing fourteen years ago. Do it now, while it is clean and accessible. Even a crappy white wash will brighten the space considerably.

I said the same thing fourteen years ago. Do it now, while it is clean and accessible. Even a crappy white wash will brighten the space considerably.

Good thought. Right now focusing on the CO. After that, we can take a breath, regroup, and start pacing ourselves with all the little projects to finish things up.

Back