Rainy days and Mondays...

Yes it has been raining here a lot lately. If this was south Asia I would say we are in monsoon season. At least I think the rain will hold off long enough to get in a bike ride this morning.

I've been trying to make sure I fly in the morning, as the afternoon has been bringing some wicked localized storms (this week looks pretty good so far though).

Have a couple lessons but it's raining, low ceiling, etc. I cancelled one yesterday due to low ceiling. Lessons scheduled all week, might get to fly towards the end of the week. Path of the storm though is projected straight north thru Alabama, so we'll see how it plays out.

449d5ac8a4de45653bc04322145227bb.jpg

LIFR here. Current, but not proficient enough for this. I guess I have to admit my 200 and 1/2 days are behind me.

I have to drive this afternoon from Jax INTO Alberto for a Panama City meeting tomorrow. The client declined to reschedule it.

Have a couple lessons but it's raining, low ceiling, etc. I cancelled one yesterday due to low ceiling. Lessons scheduled all week, might get to fly towards the end of the week. Path of the storm though is projected straight north thru Alabama, so we'll see how it plays out.

Looks like that low pressure system in the Gulf is definitely moving your way.

Yup. Been that way for over a week.

It has been so long since I have seen rain I have to go turn on the shower to remember what it looks like....

Huh. Here in LA, it was cloudy Saturday mornung, sunny in the afternoon. Clouds moved in again Sunday midafternoon, we had a little drizzle at bedtime. This morning was mostly cloudy and threatenung rain at any time, now the sun is shining outside. Sure, I see some clouds, but also blue sky and direct sunshine.

Time to go take care of some outside chores.

P.S.--took the convertible to a car show Saturday, then went flying afterwards. VFR even.

And for the uninitiated, "LA" is Lower Alabama.

I had to battle the wind and rain to raise my flag at noon today. Proud to do it.

Can’t remember the last time it rained in Arizona.

I have to drive this afternoon from Jax INTO Alberto for a Panama City meeting tomorrow. The client declined to reschedule it.
That doesn't sound too wise. I'd probably stop at a hotel nearby, but out of the path of the storm and finish the drive early tomorrow.

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.......... but I can fly and wash at the same time, although, it never rains in kalifornia......

SKC for about a week straight so far and another 3 or more days of it. Flew almost 600nm this weekend and another 200miles on the ATV. Did have one pop up TS but it got sunny right afterwards.

The Atlanta weather ended up better than I expected. Flew Fri, Sat, Sun, but today was not happening.. Friday and Saturday both looked like crap until ~1 - 2pm, then it was great til about 6 when the rains came.

Managed to get in a few touch and gos and some local flying yesterday between the showers. Mild turbulence and wind gusts made for an interesting landings. IFR at the moment and not looking good for a few days.
Today is a holiday, and I have both! Anyone else in the soggy SEUSA feeling it?
MY farmer friends in Alabama tell me they are in need of rain. This rain event should make them happy.

Last edited:
Spent the weekend in Franklin NC area and drove back to Charlotte today... in the rain... with a bunch of bloomin' idiots. Yeah, I feel it. :mad3:

I was up with a student doing S-turns and keeping an eye on the outer band of the storm headed our way. Looked just like that. Told student "we go home now" when it was close enough to bail, landed, did paperwork, and beat it home before it hit us.

Last edited:
It has been so long since I have seen rain I have to go turn on the shower to remember what it looks like....

Almost the same here. May and June are normally our highest rainfall time of year. But we haven't had anything so far. Three weeks ago I still had knee deep snow around the house. Then it warmed up. 84 deg today. Way above normal seasonal temperatures here.
Barely a cloud in the sky. And everything dried up in a hell of a rush.

Yesterday morning this started less than 10 miles to the NW of my property. The prevailing winds here are from the WNW. We had the horses ready to load and evacuate, but fortunately about noon the wind shifted and it has been blowing the fire directly away from us overnight and today. By this morning it had grown to 5 times the size it was when this picture was taken mid-afternoon yesterday.
Yesterday they were using 5 helicopters and 3 aerial tankers, plus the ground crews. At the moment still classed as out of control.

IMG_0378.JPG

And the hits just keep on coming: looking at the happy little NWS pictures on Weathermeister right now, no suns or moons to be had for the next six days! Alberto, you bastid!

Center of Alberto sitting right over the BHM area, lots of rain and wind. No plane rides today!

Back