Alan Bean flown west

For those of us who grew up in the JSC community and still call it home this is a great loss...a quiet man who avoided the limelight and a true pioneer...god speed...

Wow. I literally was looking up today how many of the 12 were still alive. Now down to four. These men are national treasures.

God speed. Truly National treasures and heroes.

I remember being glued to the tv during space flights to the moon. It was just fascinating to me to see someone actually walking/driving on the moon. I just hope I live long enough to see someone set foot on Mars.

I remember being glued to the tv during space flights to the moon. It was just fascinating to me to see someone actually walking/driving on the moon. I just hope I live long enough to see someone set foot on Mars.

I was in grade school through the Mercury and Gemini programs. We had a black and white TV with rabbit ears that could get KVOS, the CBS station in Bellingham. My parents could hardly drag me away from the TV and Walter Cronkite's coverage during the missions.

I had the Revell model of the Gemini capsule spread out on my parents coffee table and was assembling it during the abbreviated Armstrong/Scott Gemini VIII mission. It was the one time my parents relented and let me stay up through the whole thing.

As a kid who wanted to be an engineer, like two of his older brothers, this was an exciting time. Beyond imagination. America at its very finest.

Bean was one of those men whose folksy speech and easygoing personality made him feel like the guy down the street who would invite us over for a beer and a BS session. His artwork was fantastic.

RIP

As a kid who wanted to be an engineer, like two of his older brothers, this was an exciting time. Beyond imagination. America at its very finest.
Home video recorders were not yet a "thing" in 1969, so I made use of the technology available: a 35mm camera pointed at the circular screen of my parents' Zenith console color TV.

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 5.17.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 5.17.54 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 5.18.03 PM.png

Alan Bean artwork.

himom-med.jpg

mankind94-med.jpg

Back