Ipad Recommendation

The real problem with the Mini today is the best processor available in in the Mini 4 is that it's stuck with the A8 processor and 2GB of RAM on board the ARM core. That's just not going to work for much longer with fat-ass apps and fat-ass iOS.

I love my mini, but a mini 4 can't be the replacement for my mini 2... it just isn't going to be viable for much longer.

I'm pretty much in exactly the same place as you there. Not liking it, either. I'm not updating to iOS 11 on the 2, either.

As an aside, it's interesting to see that Apple had the crap sued out of them for the A8 processor by an alumni association/incubator associated with the University of Wisconsin for patent infringement and Apple was told to pay half a billion dollars. Supposedly in appeal since Oct 2017.

WARF is an interesting beast. They get the patents on everything that university profs develop, and take all the money. They're pretty much a giant patent troll - But then they turn around and fund research with it, so they're harder to hate than your run-of-the-mill patent trolls.

@flyingcheesehead may like that one. :) Apple doing their usual stealing thing, like all of the big tech companies... Jobs proved it's more profitable to steal and negotiate settlements, than not, long long ago.[/quote]

Examples, please. Xerox PARC doesn't count, they didn't steal that, they were given it! (Pretty foolish on Xerox's part.)

The real problem with the Mini today is the best processor available in in the Mini 4 is that it's stuck with the A8 processor and 2GB of RAM on board the ARM core.
Maybe my next iPad mini will be an iPhone 6s plus. Those at least have an A9, under $300 for an unlocked refurb...

Maybe my next iPad mini will be an iPhone 6s plus. Those at least have an A9, under $300 for an unlocked refurb...

iPhone X plus is going to be 6.5" so close. The size of an 8 plus but all screen.

That’s what I use. It’s my old company phone that was replaced and serves 100% aviation duty (flight bag and yoke). I tether it to my new phone’s hotspot if I need web access and don’t have wireless.

Gonna try a Stratux for my son’s old iPad. I just use it currently for charts, no nav. I have old paper charts in the plane, plus FltPlanGo on my new phone as backups. Wish FF would allow one of my devices to be seen as an iPod (3rd device).

I have the IPad Mini on the Sportys Velcro kneeboard. It allows you to prop it up for a better viewing angle and stays started to my leg. I also have the Mixoo Capacitive Stylus Pen because I can write on the scratch pads easier and more clearly. I had bought the larger iPad Pro for flying but it’s too big and unwieldy for my cockpit. I use the Scout on longer trips for weather updates and such.

Back