Bizarre 1st time 3rd class Medical

3rd class

I have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and mild color blindness. Brought with me a 12 month printout from my CPAP showing 100% usage except one night (red eye flight). AME stated wanted a signed letter from treating Dr that sleep apnea was well managed. He said he’d hold it a few days while I got the letter. 2 days later the letter was faxed to him and he asked me to come by the next day. Stopped by, gave him a hard copy and he said I could leave. I asked what about my certificate and he said the FAA told him they wanted to make the call on my sleep apnea not him. I pressed him on it and he said he forgot to print it before submitting and got flustered. Not sure what to do now.

My reading of the OSA policy was AME issues and I have 60 days to send the FAA my compliance letter.

On a side note this AME also did not explain the alternative color vision medical tests, just the light gun test. Glad I read up before taking a single chance test.

Sleep apnea:
You'll need the things you were asked for: Annual report showing usage compliance from the data in the machine, a statement from your treating physician that says the treatment is effective (the letter your AME requested), and there is also another statement you sign that essentially says you aren't cheating.

Since this is your first medical, it isn't uncommon for the AME to defer to FAA for sleep apnea issuance. Some AMEs can make whatever phone calls they need to make in order to get that first-time OSA paperwork through while you wait, others don't/can't/won't.

I don't think you got anything out of the ordinary here. For renewal in 12 months the AME can issue in office or you can send copies of your reports and letters to FAA and wait for them to do it.

Interesting. Didn’t realize it was different the first time around. He first told me he’d issue once I brought the paperwork, then changed his mind once I did saying the FAA told him he could not approve himself.

Will just wait and see. Hopefully not too long. Already delayed solo a few times.

I thought OSA was a "issue now and provide paperwork later" thing? That the AME could issue immediately and the FAA would ask for followup paperwork?

Or is it different when you walk in and say "yes, I have OSA"?

I thought OSA was a "issue now and provide paperwork later" thing? That the AME could issue immediately and the FAA would ask for followup paperwork?

That’s what I thought too having reviewed the OSA rules in detail but he says the FAA told him to defer it to them. When I spoke to the FAA they said that since he submitted there was nothing to be done but wait. Will probably find a different AME next time and not give them my Medexpress # until all is well.

My medical last year in May was the first disclosing my OSA. No problems at all. Provided the printout, signed the statement you can find online, and my ME issued it. This time around I also provided the letter from a physician that it was being managed properly. Still no problem.

My medical last year in May was the first disclosing my OSA. No problems at all. Provided the printout, signed the statement you can find online, and my ME issued it. This time around I also provided the letter from a physician that it was being managed properly. Still no problem.

I was not asked to sign any statement. Hopefully Dr letter is enough.

Dunno. Maybe the AME hasn't ever done a first time OSA SI on a first time Class 3 under the new rules?

Maybe it's a combination of the BP, too?

Dunno. Maybe the AME hasn't ever done a first time OSA SI on a first time Class 3?

Senior AME with 40+ years
Dunno. Maybe the AME hasn't ever done a first time OSA SI on a first time Class 3 under the new rules?

Maybe it's a combination of the BP, too?

BP is well controlled with allowed medication and he made no mention of it. Guess I need to call the FAA again and see if they need this form. Hate to keep calling and be a bother and make it worse.

It is an ‘issue now/paperwork later’ thing, as long as your AME understands the process OR calls the help line at OKC to get clarification.

The only case where the AME can’t issue right then and there is if you say you have been diagnosed with OSA and are not being treated.

That’s what I thought too having reviewed the OSA rules in detail but he says the FAA told him to defer it to them. When I spoke to the FAA they said that since he submitted there was nothing to be done but wait. Will probably find a different AME next time and not give them my Medexpress # until all is well.
It sounds like he screwed up by submitting your application in the computer without issuing and he can’t go back and retroactively issue it.

It sounds like he screwed up by submitting your application in the computer without issuing and he can’t go back and retroactively issue it.

That was his exact excuse after I pushed him on what happened. But then he changed it to the FAA told him to defer. Who knows. Just another bit of a wait to solo which means more practice time.

There are a lot of crappy AMEs out there. Finding a good one is probably more important than finding a good flight instructor. My first one screwed me royally, causing me a 5 month delay. The one I have now is so good, I'm flying halfway across the country just to go to him for my renewal in Sept.

There are a lot of crappy AMEs out there. Finding a good one is probably more important than finding a good flight instructor. My first one screwed me royally, causing me a 5 month delay. The one I have now is so good, I'm flying halfway across the country just to go to him for my renewal in Sept.
This.

Some are very good. Some are bad. Like any other profession.

I ran across a senior AME that insisted on all sorts of paperwork and testing for hypertension (called first, glad I did). Got another recommendation for an AME, talked with him, and he said to bring a doctor's statement and list of meds (which is essentially what's required by the FAA) and he'd issue in office. Second guy followed the book, the first one seemed to have not kept up with the updates.

Always worth a call or consult first.

Will probably find a different AME next time and not give them my Medexpress # until all is well.

Well the good news is it sounds like you've got the gene that lets you learn from experience and not make the same mistake twice. Your brain chemistry and genetic wiring that makes you emphasize what I bolded above also means you're less likely to end up a sociopath or drug addict. Silver lining.:D

Looks like this one solved itself. FAA Airman search shows am issued 3rd class medical as of last night. Thanks for the responses.

Looks like I was a bit premature. It shows issued because the AME indicated he issued a certificate when he actually didn’t. FAA can’t issue till they get back the documentation needed for OSA. As others have said, make sure your AME actually knows the procedure for things and follows it. Don’t trust they know what they are doing even if they’ve been at it for years.

I will say the folks answering the phone at the FAA have been extremely friendly and helpful.

Looks like I was a bit premature. It shows issued because the AME indicated he issued a certificate when he actually didn’t. FAA can’t issue till they get back the documentation needed for OSA. As others have said, make sure your AME actually knows the procedure for things and follows it. Don’t trust they know what they are doing even if they’ve been at it for years.

I will say the folks answering the phone at the FAA have been extremely friendly and helpful.

Those people in that office are great.

They were always friendly, though for truly helpful I had to go to the RFS and her pilot advocate.

Looks like this one solved itself. FAA Airman search shows am issued 3rd class medical as of last night. Thanks for the responses.

Good to hear.

Now go find an AME that will actually help you stay flying instead of just making your money fly away...

Good to hear.

Now go find an AME that will actually help you stay flying instead of just making your money fly away...

Still having to wait unfortunately. Due to how the AME messed things up, the FAA can not provide me with a hard copy until the SI process is completed. While it shows issued, since no hard copy was printed, the FAA can't even due a re-print and a fax a temporary copy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back