Twin Mustang XP-82 Coming Together Nicely

One heck of an impressive project.
Tom Reilly's is only one of two Twin Mustangs under restoration. The second one is owed by C & P Aviation in Minnesota at the Anoka County airport. The owners are very good at keeping it under wraps with the hangar doors closed, you have to know them to even get in the hangar. I watched them run one of their Merlins mounted on a truck bed last spring, way cool.

http://maxair2air.com/09AIR/P-82/02.html

Last edited:
Newer update.

http://xp-82twinmustangproject.blogspot.com/2017/07/june-xp-82-twin-mustang-restoration.html?m=1

There is some confusion as to who will own the aircraft or even where the first flight will be. Talk of shipping it somewhere else for first flight. 15 million plus warbird when they're done.

Douglas would seem to be a fine location for a first flight. A long runway and a clear approach without a lot to hit.

I have a hard time with the $15M part. I don't know who's gonna pay that for any warbird, much less a type that had such a limited combat record.

But it only takes one buyer to make it happen, so...

I have a hard time with the $15M part. I don't know who's gonna pay that for any warbird, much less a type that had such a limited combat record.

Yup, only takes one. The biggest factor, IMO, is there are only two.

I flew down about a year and a half ago to see the XP-82 restoration in Douglas. I'm pretty sure Tom said the airplane was owned by a group of investors, not a single person. He said they were planning to keep the real first flight under wraps without media attention so they could more easily deal with any potential issues that arise. After that they would have the public unveiling flight for the media.

I flew down about a year and a half ago to see the XP-82 restoration in Douglas. I'm pretty sure Tom said the airplane was owned by a group of investors, not a single person.

I was down there several years ago, and Tom asked if I was interested as an investor (No - I don't know that market, and besides, I didn't have enough liquidity to loan him an appreciable amount). He said he had a group of investors behind the airplane. He also said all of his previous efforts had made money for his investors.

Douglas would seem to be a fine location for a first flight. A long runway and a clear approach without a lot to hit.

I can think of two warbird collectors off the top of my head that would think nothing of that figure if they decide they want that aircraft.

Bob

As the builder of a tiny, simple, experimental aircraft all I can say is - Dear God!

It seems almost like an unimaginable project. Obviously the progress speaks for itself. I just can't wrap my head around the challenges of building something like that.

Just awesome!

IMG_2823.JPG IMG_2824.JPG IMG_2833.JPG IMG_2834.JPG Was there earlier in the year. As long as you stay out of they way, they don't mind observers.

cool, hopefully the USAF doesn't steal these...
FWIW, no one wants to admit it, but I have a very strong feeling that the CAF’s reputation at the time had everything to do with the USAF taking that aircraft back.

This one is probably safe.

It was very interesting hearing how they came to find certain parts. Amazingly, the right side Merlin is a zero time engine that a guy had as a spare.

Last edited:
Jeez, I saw one guy that claimed the dry fuel bay and vent was the chemtrail dispenser on a 767.

Looks like the perfect cross country airplane for a couple...to preserve their marriage. ;)
Next best thing to separate airplane's. :D

Looks like the perfect cross country airplane for a couple...to preserve their marriage. ;)
Next best thing to separate airplane's. :D

Wonder f ya can modify to drop one side off..... o_O

Needs the 8 x .50 m3 cal gun pod in the middle. 14 at once, all centerline... Even the Verizon guy wouldn't be able to hear!

The 6 in the middle sure, but the pod to boot!

BI25750.jpg

I had forgotten this plane even existed. I'm not sure how one forgets such a sexy plane....

First time seeing that aircraft. Pretty cool.

First and last one of those I saw was in 1974 as part of a Warbird display at Lackland AFB, San Antonio Tx. I was there for AF Basic Training... Wonder if that one is still there....

I got all up in this one's "Business" a couple of years ago. Flew down to Douglas GA and looked around. Tom Reilly and his girlfriend were kind enough to show me all around and take me to lunch, which was very nice. I gave her a ride in the RV-6 since she liked to fly and hadn't had the opportunity in a while...

Yeah been meaning to fly over there for a look. Might still.

Back