(N/A) A matter of leverage

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Last year Hurricane Irma toppled one of my sailfish gargoyles. Been trying to figure out how to put a 400 pound concrete statue back on top of a 7 foot column without spending $500 renting something. I have a couple able-bodied 20 something sons who can help, but we fell short in just trying to muscle it up there. Any advice on a simple and/or cheap way to elevate the sucker?

Attachments

• sailfish.jpg
    sailfish.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 115
Block&tackle plus a bunch of 2x4's?

some 4x4s some rope and some pulleys.

I unloaded a refrigerator from my pickup yesterday all by my lonesome. I strapped it to my half open hangar door, lifted it 2" off the bed, and pulled the truck out.

That will not help here, but if you think hard enough you'll find a solution.

Just build a scaffold over it and use a block and tackle to lift it up.

Rich

Just build a scaffold over it and use a block and tackle to lift it up.

Rich

By the time you've rented the scaffolding, bought the block and tackle, etc., why not just pay someone to install it? I'm all for doing things myself, but some things are best accomplished with your friends the Benjamins.

By the time you've rented the scaffolding, bought the block and tackle, etc., why not just pay someone to install it? I'm all for doing things myself, but some things are best accomplished with your friends the Benjamins.

I think it could be done with about $75.00 - $100.00 worth of lumber and a pulley. A block-and-tackle would make it easier, but an ordinary pulley and any vehicle with a trailer hitch would work, too.

Rich

Sign shops have truck mounted cranes. You might be able to talk one of them into doing it at a reasonable price.

My guess is the cheapest thing would be to rent a few fellows with sturdy backs to hoist the thing back up for you. I suspect there's a lot of cheap labor running around Florida. I and a a friends once carried a stained glass artists's wares to her new shop. Had to be half ton of metal, glass, and concrete between the four of us.

7 feet up is the issue, most people are shorter than that so you will need a way to get it up there. If you have enough strong guys, 3 would probably work, the pick up idea might be enough, getting it up on the pick up, then backing up to the column you would only need to lift it another 4 feet. The danger is someone loses grip and busts the thing or gets hurt. Oh, and don't stand on the tailgate while doing this, do it from the bed.

7 feet up is the issue, most people are shorter than that so you will need a way to get it up there. If you have enough strong guys, 3 would probably work, the pick up idea might be enough, getting it up on the pick up, then backing up to the column you would only need to lift it another 4 feet. The danger is someone loses grip and busts the thing or gets hurt. Oh, and don't stand on the tailgate while doing this, do it from the bed.

This seems like the cheapest/easiest option. Even using an engine hoist to get it into the truck bed is a decent option.

Do you know anyone with a front loader? Wiggle it in the bucket, have them lift you to the column, wiggle it off. No fuss no muss, nobody gets hurt.

When it's two guys hoisting that thing because three don't fit, each guy has two hundred pounds, at times more, that they are responsible for. Even three guys lifting 400 lbs works out to... to... some unimaginable number that is likely big and unwieldy.

I know you're trying to avoid the cost, I'm saying eat that cost, if you know a guy and it's not too painful.

Visit a local construction site where a backhoe is being used. Talk with the operator and the crew and see if $200 would get their interest.

Just be careful how you rig the straps.

Do you know anyone with a front loader? Wiggle it in the bucket, have them lift you to the column, wiggle it off. No fuss no muss, nobody gets hurt.

When it's two guys hoisting that thing because three don't fit, each guy has two hundred pounds, at times more, that they are responsible for. Even three guys lifting 400 lbs works out to... to... some unimaginable number that is likely big and unwieldy.

I know you're trying to avoid the cost, I'm saying eat that cost, if you know a guy and it's not too painful.
:yeahthat: Loader, bucket truck, boom truck. Prolly get any of them for a two hour minimum or maybe less if they are working in the area. Doing it by hand without building a ramp or scaffold will just be a mess.

Gin pole truck would do it. Did you look at craigslist?

Do any of the local FBO's have a Zeppelin on leaseback?

You don’t know three 6’ tall guys who can lift 130lbs over their head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do I know 3 people who can deadlift 130 pounds simultaneously while standing shoulder to shoulder holding something with no handholds while also standing against a wall such that if one person loses their grip someone else gets 250 pounds on their head?

No I don't.

Do I know 3 people who can deadlift 130 pounds simultaneously while standing shoulder to shoulder holding something with no handholds while also standing against a wall such that if one person loses their grip someone else gets 250 pounds on their head?

No I don't.
Good answer.

Dig a six foot hole and drop the column into it. Lift the gargoyle one foot.
Hey, if you can't raise the bridge..
But seriously, how about renting a steel tube scaffold, and some pulleys. I think scaffold goes for like $50 a day for 2 or 3 stages.

Last edited:
Get a couple tall step ladders facing each other. Get a strong plank. Put the gargoyle on the plank. Lift one end onto the first step. Lift the other end onto the second step, etc. When the plank is level with the top of the pedestal, clamp the plank to the steps then scoot the gargoyle over. Get some help for steadying the gargoyle while the other two lift the end. You might need a fourth helper to move the ladders in as you go up. (Consider this a rough draft--do your homework).

Last edited:
Go to Hooters and pay a couple of waitresses to come over to watch. Then get those 20-something sons back and ask them to give it another try with the girls watching.

They'll get it up there, somehow.

400lbs by hand? Keep in mind this has the potential for a $20,000 hospital visit.

No I don't.

You need to get some CrossFit buddies, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back