Cherokee crash in VA kills one.

jimwomble

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jimw
CHESAPEAKE, Va. — A man has died after a small plane crashed in a field near a regional airport in southeastern Virginia.

Virginia State Police say the single-engine plane crashed shortly after takeoff Tuesday morning from the Chesapeake Regional Airport.

The plane caught fire and burned after impact. State police said the pilot was the only person on board. The small craft was headed for Farmingdale, New York, which is on Long Island.

The incident remains under investigation.

Federal Aviation Administration records indicate that Piper PA28 was registered to ...

My home base.

I just met the pilot on Saturday at the Warbirds over the Beach show. Kind of in disbelief. Huge shock to say the least...

My home base.

I just met the pilot on Saturday at the Warbirds over the Beach show. Kind of in disbelief. Huge shock to say the least...

Always tough when you know those involved, and you just meeting the pilot, wow. Sorry FT, I know how you're probably feeling having known a few who died in plane crashes, a few at my airline as well as others.

Condolences to family and friends of the pilot. May he RIP.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/

Looks like all the big pieces were attached.
Yeah, it’s strange. No one saw it happen, but it was a low IMC departure. He had gotten his release but never checked in with departure. There was a Citation inbound that ATC had to put in a hold while they were trying to contact him.

Only made it maybe 1000 yards beyond the runway.

Pilot was a tower controller. Planning to retire this year.

Last edited:
Yes, this is very sad. I work with his son. Condolences to his family and may he RIP.

A friend of mine just spoke with his wife. She still hasn’t been officially notified. Just had reporters knocking on the door and calling. I hate journalists.

Unfortunately a free press is an absolute requirement for democracy and liberty. It is not without its drawbacks, however.

Respect for others, especially grieving family members, has absolutely nothing to do with a free press. That used to be what society called common sense and decency.

Respect for others, especially grieving family members, has absolutely nothing to do with a free press. That used to be what society called common sense and decency.
"Journalists" feel it is their responsibility to publish anything and everything, no matter how private, personal, intimate or embarrassing ... unless it might possibly reflect negatively upon their preferred political party, in which case it will never see the light of day.

It’s actually odd for the journalists to beat the Coroner and Sheriff to a death notification.

Something is wicked wrong there if they hadn’t done that by the time reporters were at the door.

It’s actually odd for the journalists to beat the Coroner and Sheriff to a death notification.

Something is wicked wrong there if they hadn’t done that by the time reporters were at the door.
I have learned that in VA, the State Police have responsibility for all aviation accidents. By policy, they will not notify NOK until the coroner provides a positive ID, which in this case is complicated due to post crash fire.

The reporters just get ahold of the N-number and go to the address of record.

What is odd, is in this case, his wife was at the airport and watched him take off (didn't observe the crash). The FAA (FSDO) knows that because they have seen her on the security camera video. And yet they have not reached out to her either.

Free press? Unfortunatley, the press in this country is bought and paid for.
While that is utterly true, it is simply due to the capitalist nature of our society. The press is bought by those who would advertise. In order to advertise the content must be seen by the maximum number of eyes. Hence stories the journalists thing will draw attention. "If it bleeds, it leads".

Thought for the day.

“We got the bubble headed
Bleached blonde
Comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash
With a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die...”

-Don Henley

While that is utterly true, it is simply due to the capitalist nature of our society. The press is bought by those who would advertise. In order to advertise the content must be seen by the maximum number of eyes. Hence stories the journalists thing will draw attention. "If it bleeds, it leads".
That's not what I meant.

Yep. If they'd have self-grounded after the first school shooting I doubt there would ever have been a second one.
Wouldn't help to promulgate the agenda.

That's not what I meant.
Perhaps, but that is the reality. It is true that quite a number of media outlets pander to one side of the political equation or another. Some of this is coercion from well heeled owners, though much of it is simply chasing an audience. Those who own media outlets don't like to loose money.

Perhaps, but that is the reality. It is true that quite a number of media outlets pander to one side of the political equation or another. Some of this is coercion from well heeled owners, though much of it is simply chasing an audience. Those who own media outlets don't like to loose money.

They pander because political zealots on either fringe are a solid viewership they can claim to the dying advertising industry.

Anyone who’s got two brain cells to rub together has been DVRing stuff since TiVo came out in 1999, and skipping the commercials whenever possible.

National TV “news” is worse than fast food for you and more addictive than cigarettes. It should come with a warning label from the Surgeon General.

“Consuming news media beyond five minutes a day is known to cause stupidity in otherwise healthy people. Sharing links from it on your social media feed may indicate a severe mental health condition. For a hard on about any politician lasting more than four hours, after taking news media, seek medical attention immediately.”

:)

A friend of mine just spoke with his wife. She still hasn’t been officially notified. Just had reporters knocking on the door and calling. I hate journalists.

As a journalist who has covered these kinds of incidents and has been in exactly that situation, it isn’t a sign of disrespect.

Especially if the police are slow to notify the family. That should have been their first move. If reporters find out faster with the limited resources we have, then someone is just slacking.

And all the reporters are looking for knocking on the door is a quote from a family member to say some kind words and a picture to run in the paper. And it really is time sensitive and there’s an editor calling every 10 minutes asking where the quote and the photo are and about 15 other news outlets trying to get the same thing.

Eventually you get to know everyone doing the job and it’s easier if we all go at once rather than every outlet knocking individually asking for the same thing.

And the reporters are not going away. They are literally being paid to sit outside someone’s house all day until they’re ready to talk. And when it’s a national story, they will be there for days. And from experience, even when everyone is packed up and on the next national story, CNN will keep a truck there an extra 2-3 days just in case a follow up story comes along.

So if you’re ever in that position, wait until a few reporters show up. Make a statement, hand over a picture and usually that’s about the most of it.

And the reason we do it, because people want to know what happened and who the person was. And they should.

The press ain't perfect by any means, but consider the idea of not having a free press. Imagine what the politicians could get away with!

I prefer to avoid dictatorships.

As a journalist who has covered these kinds of incidents and has been in exactly that situation, it isn’t a sign of disrespect.

Especially if the police are slow to notify the family. That should have been their first move. If reporters find out faster with the limited resources we have, then someone is just slacking.

And all the reporters are looking for knocking on the door is a quote from a family member to say some kind words and a picture to run in the paper. And it really is time sensitive and there’s an editor calling every 10 minutes asking where the quote and the photo are and about 15 other news outlets trying to get the same thing.

Eventually you get to know everyone doing the job and it’s easier if we all go at once rather than every outlet knocking individually asking for the same thing.

And the reporters are not going away. They are literally being paid to sit outside someone’s house all day until they’re ready to talk. And when it’s a national story, they will be there for days. And from experience, even when everyone is packed up and on the next national story, CNN will keep a truck there an extra 2-3 days just in case a follow up story comes along.

So if you’re ever in that position, wait until a few reporters show up. Make a statement, hand over a picture and usually that’s about the most of it.

And the reason we do it, because people want to know what happened and who the person was. And they should.

I bet you buy into all of that “first draft of history” BS. Bunch of a-holes.

The press ain't perfect by any means, but consider the idea of not having a free press. Imagine what the politicians could get away with!

Totally agree.

The press should be free, even free to be negligent, careless, biased or just plain wrong (actual malice is something else; see New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964)). But other citizens, even politicians, should also be free to point out such negligence, carelessness, bias, or error when they occur.

One would hope that an honest journalist would strive for accuracy and fairness, and not deflect any criticism as merely an "attack on a free press."

Maybe the issue with the state police being behind the journalists needs some policy evaluation.

If an immediate ID can’t be made it would be prudent to look up the N number (just like the journalists) and immediately track down that address in an effort to aid the investigation. What would be wrong with the state police simply saying that a plane registered to their name / address was in an accident and they were gathering information. Most of the time they’d get their ID right then. Just seems like a better timeline.

I bet you buy into all of that “first draft of history” BS. Bunch of a-holes.

There are no absolutes. You think kids come out of journalism school wanting to knock on the doors of parents who lost their kid? You think cops took the job to give speeding tickets? There are crap parts of every job. But you do it because there are great parts.

The way it works is we can only report what we’re told. If you don’t talk to the press, they can’t report your point of view. And ideally what you learn in college is that there’s more than one side to every story. But if you’re not going to share your side, then someone else will. As a journalist it’s not my job to pick sides. It’s my job to tell everyone’s story and report it to the public and let the populous decide how they feel about an issue. And to inform them this issue exists, or this event happened and so on.

But the number one criticism people have about journalists is that they don’t get everything right. And again, how can I get it right when you don’t talk to me so that I can tell everyone.

And reporters are really not the problem. It’s the editors who cut the story to fit a viewpoint and the owners who only hire publishers that fit their views, and publishers who only hire editors that fit the views of the owner. The reporters are just doing their jobs gathering info and putting a story together.

Maybe the issue with the state police being behind the journalists needs some policy evaluation.

If an immediate ID can’t be made it would be prudent to look up the N number (just like the journalists) and immediately track down that address in an effort to aid the investigation. What would be wrong with the state police simply saying that a plane registered to their name / address was in an accident and they were gathering information. Most of the time they’d get their ID right then. Just seems like a better timeline.

The cops who came to the incident scene I was at earlier this year had absolutely no clue how to handle an aircraft accident until the brother of the Sheriff showed up, and they’re both kids of a former airport manager.

What they did know how to do was direct traffic, wrote down eyewitness notes, and make sure the pilot was seen by EMS.

No offense to them but they were clueless beyond that. They were happy I was a CFI and a witness so I could write down what I saw for FAA. Then they called FAA and waited for a few hours for them to show.

I suspect the only person who would know what to do with a dead pilot would have been the Coroner and staff. They would have directed the Sheriff or his brother to handle a notification and that could have taken many hours, if one of them wasn’t available in a rural county. If the Denver press got wind of a fatal out here, they’d absolutely beat a rural Sheriff to the notification.

That said, I have a number of friends who are lifers in the journalism biz who would have found the address and then called the Sheriff directly and told him to come over there and do it before they’d ever knock on the door. They know who’s job things are and aren’t into making rural Sheriff’s mad. They know that’ll just come back around and hit them square in the azz the next time they need access to the Sheriff or his assistance.

There are no absolutes. You think kids come out of journalism school wanting to knock on the doors of parents who lost their kid? You think cops took the job to give speeding tickets? There are crap parts of every job. But you do it because there are great parts.

Like I said, know some real old timers in the press. They would just notify the Sheriff and let him do his job first. They wouldn’t be on the doorstep. There’s no story there anyway other than filming someone grieving. And that’s not a story.

The way it works is we can only report what we’re told. If you don’t talk to the press, they can’t report your point of view.

Oh right. The news article I was interviewed for was written long before my interview. I knew where they were headed and it wasn’t too embarrassing to be involved in it, but the person who contacted me who said they needed a flight instructor to interview already knew the story angle, too.

And reporters are really not the problem. It’s the editors who cut the story to fit a viewpoint and the owners who only hire publishers that fit their views, and publishers who only hire editors that fit the views of the owner. The reporters are just doing their jobs gathering info and putting a story together.

Most of our young reporters (like the one that interviewed me) are cutting and editing their own scripts these days around here. Call it competition or whatever but the traditional “newsroom” is gone. They’re shooting, interviewing, writing, editing, and cutting their own. The kid who interviewed me immediately went from shooting our interview to shooting B-roll because the sun was setting and he only had about 45 minutes to edit the whole thing, do the rest of the voice over, and turn it in. Probably over a multi-carrier cellular data combiner box. I doubt he had time to make it back to the studio before air.

The really old friend who’s not far from retirement shot the video of the service dog having puppies at Tampa International airport on Friday. He joked, “This one is going to go viral! Super cute stuff man!” when I talked to him on Friday afternoon. He’s the old school crowd and still just works the camera, but the younger reporters don’t get a camera guy.

The other guy I know in the biz locally is a roving camera and on air personality doing mostly mobile weather shots and occasionally crime when he sees stuff going down or gets dispatched to it. He knows all the cops, good and bad, and they know him, and they usually grin briefly in his shots from across the street on top of a parking garage or wherever they notice him doing. They know he got past their police line with basic geometry and then they come over and tell him he’s a dick and he brings them coffee occasionally.

Hanging with TV workers has strange side effects though. I met the Tampa guy once at a breakfast place and didn’t realize it was right across from City Hall. All of a sudden while we’re talking he says, “Hold that thought, come meet the Chief of Police.” as he turns and walks toward the corner of the block. “Hey Chief, good morning! Allow me to introduce an old friend from Denver...” then they chatted about various news items for a few minutes, on and off the record. I just stood there with no expression on my face because I wanted to laugh. Who knew I’d be meeting the Tampa Police Chief that morning just passing through as a tourist?

It’s definitely not the pristine Fourth Estate or any of that idealistic crap though. Everybody knows everybody. They all know “the rules” and they know which job is theirs and which is someone else’s.

NONE of my old friends in that biz would do a notification without a courtesy call to the Sheriff or the Chief seeing if they wanted to do it first. Not even if competing stations showed up at the house at the same time. They MIGHT do an outdoor shot from down the block of the house saying they’re there and awaiting information from the Sheriff or Chief if they absolutely had to. “We’re here, we’re covering it, more at the next newscast or as it breaks...”

Sorry, but you are wrong. It IS disrespectful. What is happening is that the reporters are failing to show respect and then justifying it. Focus on that phrase "failing to show respect". The woman just watched her husband crash and burn to death. Maybe a little perspective is called for and to put the human being above the business. Life trumps everything.

A life is a terrible thing to waste.

I'd rather be friends with a personal injury lawyer than a journalist.

Go away, please and stay away

Just give in to the bullying and nobody gets hurt. How disgusting.

This is not some politician who put himself and his family in the public eye. This is a family who at that point was missing a loved one. There is no compelling reason why the public needs to know the name of the missing pilot or get a private picture of him.

You are not helping your trades case.

Are you kidding? Do you live on Mars? LOL... Yea, I love our FREE (to report what you want, how you want and with whatever spin you want) PRESS.... Right or Left...

Back