Name that sediment

Might be rust but not sure. Reccomend you check the underside of your fill caps and the tank necks for excessive rust. Failing that I would look really hard at the last place I got fuel if near by and check their tanks and filters. Ask them to cut their filter and inspect it if possible. Then pull the tanks and clean them very well.

Looks like sand to me, filter failure somewhere along the supply line.

Black tar heroin wins. Best reaponse yet. Hahaha. New fuel caps and yeah the black specs are probably rust from removing old fuel transmitters. They were corroded bad. But the tank was flushed with air/100LL stream since then.

The fuel transmitters were cork i believe. They were replaced recently. Hmmm

I think the technical term for that is “crap”.

Do the bladders have foam baffles in them that could be breaking down?

Maybe see which solutions dissolve it or if it can't be dissolved at all.

OK, here is what you need to. If it appears to be organic, not mineral, pyrolyse it onto a KBr disc and run it on a FTIR spectrophotometer with a spectrum library. Careful comparison of the candidate spectrums will hopefully yield a match. If it appears to be mineral, then it is sand, SiO2. Write a report and submit it for review and signature.

Mystery solved. Easy-peasy.

OK, here is what you need to. If it appears to be organic, not mineral, pyrolyse it onto a KBr disc and run it on a FTIR spectrophotometer with a spectrum library. Careful comparison of the candidate spectrums will hopefully yield a match. If it appears to be mineral, then it is sand, SiO2. Write a report and submit it for review and signature.

Mystery solved. Easy-peasy.
Yeah, easy.
Next time I sump my tanks I will take my FTIR spectrophotometer with spectrum library to the hangar with me.
But can you remind me how to pyrolyse it onto a KBr disk?

Sorry, I know that was of no help. But if you really are interested, send it to a materials testing lab, and as for such a test. Guessing $100

Sorry, I know that was of no help. But if you really are interested, send it to a materials testing lab, and as for such a test. Guessing $100
I know. I was just kidding. We can guess all day, but in order to know, a real qualitative analysis is required.

Im trying to dissolve what was found in the tank. Bottom has spots of varnish and gum from old mogas. I will be taking the top panel off and removing the tank if it doesnt work

Back