406 ELT edjumucation

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I know very little about them except for that I want one so start at square one with me...

What do I need to know? Looking to upgrade to one in the next month or two. I do not have a WAAS GPS, but I do have a WAAS GPS Antenna for some reason unknown to me. I know there are some with internally mounted GPS's, will I need one of those? What brand should I be looking for?

Any other 406 ELT edjumucation would be greatly appreciated!

You don't need a GPS antenna for the ELT you seek. I have an ACK E-O-4.

11-06395-1.jpg

I do not have a WAAS GPS
No external GPS interface required. 406 ELTs are standalone units and transmit GPS coordinates. If the 406 unit can be interfaced with the aircraft GPS the difference is in the accuracy of the position: standalone approx within 1.75 miles: interfaced with WAAS GPS approx 150 yards.

The only other important difference is in the mounting requirements. The 406 requires a stronger mount area to pass a deflection test. No more "hat section" mounts in the tail.

Had a 406elt installed with internal GPS, meaning it works without being tied to the avionics stack. That required a separate shark fin antenna. Of course you will have the Jaws theme stuck in your head but you won’t have to worry about your ELT sending old locations if you have a radio issue.

Had a 406elt installed with internal GPS, meaning it works without being tied to the avionics stack. That required a separate shark fin antenna. Of course you will have the Jaws theme stuck in your head but you won’t have to worry about your ELT sending old locations if you have a radio issue.
This is what I'd like to do. Which brand did you use?

Well I'm still deciding... Are there other benefits to the standalone GPS model or should I wait the year until I get the WAAS GPS

Emerging Lifesaving Technologies is the only 406 ELT I know of that has a built in gps. It is about 1 AMU more than the Ack unit. One is installed in the ‘kota.

All currently available 406 ELTs have a 50 second delay after the activation switch is turned on. The new standard allows immediate broadcast. Dunno if it’s worth waiting for updated ELTs.

Emerging Lifesaving Technologies is the only 406 ELT I know of that has a built in gps.
I have one of those going in this week.

Is that plug and play with my existing ack e04 121.5 elt?
As far as I know, not a plug and play. And let me clarify my first post: the 406 signal triggers a GPS lock at the satellite and requires 3 signal sweeps to get to the 1.75 mile accuracy. The initial ping is at a 10 mile limit I believe.

We installed the Emerging Lifesaving Technologies ELT406GPS in the 172 in 2011, and have been really pleased with it; the antenna that comes in the box is a combination GPS receiving/406MHz ELT transmitting blade type with a radiation pattern such that if the airframe winds up on either side or upright, it still receives GPS location info and transmits to the COSPAS/SARSAT satellites. The self-test sequence is easy to perform to verify everything works. The msrp has come down to less than $1k.

Last edited:
Well I'm still deciding... Are there other benefits to the standalone GPS model or should I wait the year until I get the WAAS GPS

I would just tie it to the panel mounted GPS you're going to buy. I hate extra holes in skins. Some of these aircraft are running out of space to add antennas, mostly because of where the OEM put the VHF comm antennas 50 years ago.

Which one? ACK has a pretty good reputation for being helpful, even it remains replacing equipment for free. I think the batteries for them are about the least expensive you can find.

I'd look for one that does 406 and 121.5.

Like the others said plenty with internal WAAS.

The way our local CAP search team leader said.... Investment in an ELT depends how fast you want to be found; 121.5 we know within large region of were you might be, 406 without GPS less then 2 mi, 406 with GPS position 20'.

I have the ACK-04 unit with a pair of wire attached to my 430W. The Artex units are slightly more expensive and have an internal GPS. In all regards you have to run a set of wires from the ELT to the panel for the manual enable switch and annunciators, no big deal pulling a couple more GPS wires.

The way our local CAP search team leader said.... Investment in an ELT depends how fast you want to be found.

If it doesn't break during the crash and actually activates. I've never been impressed with the wimpy antennas that GA aircraft are sporting.

One of the most asinine conversations I ever had with an ELT manufacturer was the about the requirement to "mount the antenna within 15 degrees of vertical", lol! They would not budge on it at all saying it was required to be that way to meet TSO performance requirements.

Last edited:
If it doesn't break during the crash and actually activates. I've never been impressed with the wimpy antennas that GA aircraft are sporting.

One of the most asinine conversations I ever had with an ELT manufacturer was the about the requirement to "mount the antenna within 15 degrees of vertical", lol! They would not budge on it at all saying it was required to be that way to meet TSO performance requirements.

You need that vertical position because every crash ends up perfectly horizontal....

Do existing antennas radiate radially like the sharkfin antenna?

In the 180 if I don't end up with the wheels down the plane will be on it's back so not sure if the sharkfin gets me much especially if mounted on the top of the plane.

Do existing antennas radiate radially like the sharkfin antenna?

In the 180 if I don't end up with the wheels down the plane will be on it's back so not sure if the sharkfin gets me much especially if mounted on the top of the plane.

The installation manual dictates your choices, the transmitters is only approved for use with the antennas in the manual. Mounting the antenna is defined in the manual.

Some of the ELTs are exact same transmitter but the kit (and installation documents) come with different antennas and a big price difference.

I think ARTEX is one of those. Compare the cheapie to the high priced, the cheapie is approved only for the whip antenna, the high priced one is approved for three different ones.

In an emergency, especially in a remote area, I'm pushing the ELT activation button on the way down. It's part of my flow when unlocking the doors and cutting fuel etc...

Some people have somewhat cynical view of ELTs. I encourage pilots to ask their local CAP how many search & rescues were performed where the plane in question had a 406 ELT that did not greatly help.

About 3 years ago there was a crash in the Sierra Nevada mountains here in Ca. The CAP was alerted to perform a search. They looked at the ELT data, decided not to launch a mission, and instead called the local sheriff with the precise coordinates as the plane was 200' off the edge of a highway. Sheriff found the wreck and rescued the pilot in less than 30 minutes. Thanks to the 406 ELT.

Last edited:
In an emergency, especially in a remote area, I'm pushing the ELT activation button on the way down. It's part of my flow when unlocking the doors and cutting fuel etc...

Some people have somewhat cynical view of ELTs. I encourage pilots to ask their local CAP how many search & rescues were performed where the plane in question had a 406 ELT that did not greatly help.

About 3 years ago there was a crash in the Sierra Nevada mountains here in Ca. The CAP was alerted to perform a search. They looked at the ELT data, decided not to launch a mission, and instead called the local sheriff with the precise coordinates as the plane was 200' off the edge of a highway. Sheriff found the wreck and rescued the pilot in less than 30 minutes. Thanks to the 406 ELT.

That's gonna really cut into SARS budgets!

upload_2018-5-23_9-49-23.png

Lol had to. I just might get a 406 beacon this year

Back