First Angel Flight mission

Nice one, good for you! I flew a few Angel Flights into Hobby and a bunch more up around the North East. Very rewarding, and a good excuse to go to some new airports; not often you get the chance to land at Logan with all fees waived!

i just dropped off my first Angel Flight passenger. Just a quick hop from Denton to Hooks in Houston. Went off smooth. Even had to grab a quick IR clearance on the descent. Good fun and good practice. Almost as fun as flying dogs!
And you don't need crates for your passengers!

Good on ya to do the Angel Flight Mission! If you ever want a helper to go along, call me.

I had just been doing some research on Angel Flight and saw this thread.

Great!

I find them much more rewarding than flying dogs, and better coordinated too.

I have wanted to do AF for years. Technically, I'm on the roster, but have not taken my first flight due to work constraints. Argh. It's been a while since I went through orientation, but I thought all AF's had to be on IFR flight plans, but maybe you just need to be IR current.

It may vary from chapter to chapter, but Angel Flight South Central (Texas and adjacent states) doesn’t require either the rating or IFR flights. I just did my first one a few months ago in New Mexico VFR. But practically speaking, it would be wise to have it and use it to keep from canceling a flight due to clouds.

It may vary from chapter to chapter, but Angel Flight South Central (Texas and adjacent states) doesn’t require either the rating or IFR flights. I just did my first one a few months ago in New Mexico VFR. But practically speaking, it would be wise to have it and use it to keep from canceling a flight due to clouds.
Ah, didn't know that it was so chaotic. I thought it was one organization, not little self-ruled cells scattered across the nation.
My TX pilot friends who fly for NGF say that they are always required to file and go IFR, even on a CAVU day. So not sure who is making them. I'll inquire with them some more about this. Now you got me curious.

Now you got me curious.
Troy Whistman, @TangoWhiskey, is the AFSC Wing Leader. And the guy who would provide the definitive answer.

Unfortunately he doesn't come to this board as often as he did in the past. But if someone provides an email or phone number, I can pass on the request for him to contact.

Yeah, there is a national organization, however, each regional organization sets its own rules. Number of hour required, IFR requirements and in some cases the type of plane that can be used (multi requires more hours). Congratulations on your first flight!!!:cheers:

Back