Chevy Silverado 4-Cylinder Gas Turbo

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Well we like talkin’ trucks, and I missed that Chevy announced their base model Silverado 1500 trucks will now come with an in-line 4-cylinder turbo engine making over 300 horsepower (5900 RPM) and over 300 ft/lbs of torque (around 1500 RPM..!).

Interesting move to try to play catch-up to the Ford EcoBoost engines.

It will be mated to an eight speed transmission.

First thought is, of course, never buy version 1.0 of anything. And all that cam moving stuff they talk about in this video is a lot of fussy stuff going on... will it be reliable?
Second thought is, that’s a lot of work for a four-banger!
Third thought is, wonder what the fuel economy will come out at.

Anyway, an introductory video as well as an almost ridiculous number of engine options now in their line-up. Of course, Ford did the same thing when the first EcoBoost engines came out and the number of power-train options was outrageous until the EcoBoost settled in and got good reviews.

Be interesting to see where this one goes. Chevy is also doing a small 3.0L diesel, but sounds like it’s behind schedule judging by how quickly they brushed it off the topic plate during the interview portion.

I still think they need to do SOMETHING with the interior and especially the electronics. Even in their “upscale” trucks in the slideshow in the background of the interview, they’re still using some tiny screen that’s smaller than my iPhone 6 Plus, and the knobs awe straight out of my ‘04 Yukon still, after a touch of chrome on them. The electronics behind the knobs look identical too, boring as hell after over a decade.

But anyway. The video. Enjoy.

I don’t really care as I would never buy it. They should stick with what they do best, V8. The current v8 lineup gives up nothing to the eco boost. The 5.3 is just as efficient and powerful as the 2.7 and the 6.2 is every bit the match of the 3.5. What they need to do is offer the 6.2 in other trims than the most expensive ones.

Using the same electronics for years is a good thing. It means if yours breaks there are parts and it also means there is a higher probability of software support for a longer period of your vehicles life. Personally I would prefer a no gimmicky electronic cab version of a vehicle. Don’t have to worry about how long it will be supported

How it pulls a 7000# trailer is what I use to decide. GM improved their HD chassis to close the gap between the Duramax and 6.2 gas trucks about 6 years ago and that led me back to gas. I like my 6.2 but sometimes miss the diesel torque. It's hard to imagine a little 4 doing the same work as my 6.2, but engine tech is really good these days and most guys with pickups never use them to haul anything. The market will determine if it's a good change or not.

That's asking a lot out of a little engine, also how about torque?

Personally if I'm going to buy a vehicle I always buy the largest engine avalible.

Doubt many V8 buyers wished they got that 4 banger instead, something tells me the inverse is not true.

Denver...I can feel it...you so desperately want a Chevy...but they’ll never meet your expectations. Time to buy a Nissan.

Just kiddddingggg! :D

What they need to do is offer the 6.2 in other trims than the most expensive ones.

According to the local dealership owner here, 2019 will be the last year for the 6.2. After that the 5.3 will be the big engine. But that is what GM is saying right now. There could be something in the works that will keep the 6.2 alive.

I'm a fan of Chevy trucks, but am not a fan if putting small turbo engines in everything.

Putting a turbocharged 4-banger in a truck? Pass . . . . . . . There've been times I wished the V6 in my little truck was bigger.

Let's see how many of those superboosted fours make it to 100,000 miles.

The same skepticism was offered regarding the boosted 6 cylinders, but there are lots of them in the F-150 fleet that have crossed 100k without a major issue. There’s no reason to believe that the 4 cylinders will be different, but personally I’d opt for version 4 from Ford before version 1 from Chevy. I’ve been really trying to like GM, but this is just another area where they’ve fallen behind (way behind).

It is irritating to know that fuel economy regulations are what’s driving the push for small displacement engines, but I don’t see the momentum changing just because the current political leadership relaxes those regulations. The investment to get here has already been made, gas prices will spike again in the future, and future political leaders will no doubt roll back the relaxed regulations. So I suspect that these engines are here to stay.

I'm a fan of Chevy trucks, but am not a fan if putting small turbo engines in everything.

Putting a turbocharged 4-banger in a truck? Pass . . . . . . . There've been times I wished the V6 in my little truck was bigger.

A modern V6 or something older? Many don’t even make 300 HP.

A twin turbo V6 (Ford EcoBoost) is one thing in terms of keeping pace with a V8. Doing so with a boosted 4-banger is another. I suppose it would be okay for those who don’t ever tow anything more than a motorcycle trailer or jet ski.

If I were in the market for a new 1/2 ton, I’d have a hard tine passing on the EB V6 from Ford vs their 5.0L V8.

As tried/tested as the 5.3L is, it’s not a match for the EB V6 and there hasn’t been much innovation in it for a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Ford F-150 with V8. It was in body shop for hail damaged and I had an F-150 rental with 3.5L V-6. It had ten speed tranny. It out accelerated my V8. It was a 2WD where mine is 4WD, but I was impressed. My cousin says he pulls his travel train with his EcoBoost and has no problems, even in Hills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wish Ford had a 5.0 eco-boost. Can’t complain about mileage in my F150 4x4, 25mpg on the highway if you can keep it at the speed limit, usually average 21 though.

...The 5.3 is just as efficient and powerful as the 2.7 ...

I greet that statement with a huge amount of skepticism. :sosp:

I'm very happy with my 2.7 twin turbo V6 ecoboost engine in my Ford F-150. 23.8 average miles per gallon and that's with a lot of city driving. Having said that, this is the first Ford I've ever owned other than the 76 Mercury Cougar XR-7 which was my first car and the '65 Mustang I have out back that I still need to restore.

I have a Ford F-150 with V8. It was in body shop for hail damaged and I had an F-150 rental with 3.5L V-6. It had ten speed tranny. It out accelerated my V8. It was a 2WD where mine is 4WD, but I was impressed. My cousin says he pulls his travel train with his EcoBoost and has no problems, even in Hills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah we’ve had threads on that engine and truck. Seems like a good combo. I know @jesse certainly approves.

I’m just curious if the Chevy thing will work out as well as Ford’s did for them after a few years of “don’t buy the first generation”.

Oh wonders.... something new I need to stock.

Oh wonders.... something new I need to stock.

Did you see the list of engines in the video? LOL. Think there were six. And multiple transmissions. Haha. They’ve gone a little nuts in their “crossover” year to new engines. :)

EcoBoost for the win.

EcoBoost for the win.

Ford is literally banking on it with the killing off of their car lineup. Almost all the trucks use it now with their ten-speed. Can’t say as I blame them with how many trucks sell in the US per year, but killing off all the cars seems counterproductive.

On a more interesting note, almost all of their small cars can be had for $4000-$5000 under MSRP right now, if one is shopping for new. Brings their prices in line with the Korean sister companies of Hyundai and Kia.

I have a ‘17 F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and a 32 ft travel trailer somewhere north of 8K, probably under 10K pounds.

I can easily out accelerate traffic off a stop light without even pushing the ecoboost, at all.

The ecoboost tows the trailer at 75 mph in 10th gear turning 1700-1800 rpm ish like nothing is even hooked up. No Chevy V8 in a half ton truck is going to do that.

Pic from earlier today attached.

Attachments

• 3C68BEB5-04C4-4B62-A9DF-2714905E845A.jpeg
    3C68BEB5-04C4-4B62-A9DF-2714905E845A.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 33
Ford is literally banking on it with the killing off of their car lineup. Almost all the trucks use it now with their ten-speed. Can’t say as I blame them with how many trucks sell in the US per year, but killing off all the cars seems counterproductive.

On a more interesting note, almost all of their small cars can be had for $4000-$5000 under MSRP right now, if one is shopping for new. Brings their prices in line with the Korean sister companies of Hyundai and Kia.

I hope Kia comes out with a truck so I can buy one

Ford is literally banking on it with the killing off of their car lineup.

Ford will keep the Mustang going and one other small car similar to the Fusion. But they will keep on cranking out most of their SUV line and 150s.

Many jobs will be affected. Some think tanks are saying Ford should stop making trucks and SUVs and concentrate on small cars.

We shall see.

I wonder what Henry would think about this move....

Killing off the cars for high priced, low mileage SUVs and 4-door trucks. Guess the crew cab truck has become the open-trunk car of choice.

Two things I have zero interest in buying: an SUV and a 4-door truck with a tiny bed. Can't haul gravel, topsoil or my riding mower in an SUV, can't fit much "cargo" in those little bitty truck beds after they swap a chunk of it for a back seat.

Make that three things I have zero interest in buying: a full size truck with an itty bitty engine with a turbo stuck onto it to increase peak hp . . . .

I wonder what Henry would think about this move....

Henry would like it. Besides making mass produced cars his real innovation was personal loans. Keep the masses in debt and paying you, you’ll be a rich rich person.

He was literally the start of the payroll loan. If you’re working, pay me interest and you can have a car, as long as it’s black.

The Tesla thread is based on the same thing just on a much much larger scale. Allow me to run my company on massive debt and I’ll make believe my product is cool and profitable and “green” so you can feel better about yourself. It’ll only cost you many years of your adult life’s work...

All the money is made on suv’s, trucks and the more expensive lines. My buddy at the Chevy dealer said neither they nor gm make anything on the small stuff.
As said before, the 4 door/suv pickup is the new full sized family car. No America manufacturer make a full sized car any longer.
Ford must know what they are doing, although sad to drop all those lines, but they are a company that is cash rich, more so than others.

Killing off the cars for high priced, low mileage SUVs and 4-door trucks. Guess the crew cab truck has become the open-trunk car of choice.

Two things I have zero interest in buying: an SUV and a 4-door truck with a tiny bed. Can't haul gravel, topsoil or my riding mower in an SUV, can't fit much "cargo" in those little bitty truck beds after they swap a chunk of it for a back seat.

Make that three things I have zero interest in buying: a full size truck with an itty bitty engine with a turbo stuck onto it to increase peak hp . . . .

Lol, what constitutes a "tiny bed"? 5.5' has been the standard bed size for a long time. Ford offers a 6.5' or 8' bed as an option depending on model. 5.5' is more than enough for a pallet or sheets of plywood with the tailgate down. I don't particularly like shoveling gravel or topsoil from a truck bed of any length, I'd rather use a utility trailer. I can fit my 42" riding lawnmower in my 5.5' Screw with the tailgate up with a little room to spare.

As far as Ford killing off the cars . . . full size sedans weren't getting much better mileage than the mid-size SUVs to begin with, nor were they big sellers. Not much of a loss there. Lincoln can continue to make the MKS and Continental for those who need a full-size sedan.

It will be mated to an eight speed transmission.

That alone sounds unpleasant. I rented a really nice Ford Taurus Limited a while back that was gorgeous, I really liked it, but that damn transmission was deal killer. I don't want my vehicles to shift 3 times in the first 100 feet from a stop. Its was insanely annoying. F* that crap. I think it had a 6 speed automatic, had paddle shifters all that. A CVT would have been perfect but I'd never buy one of them either.

A friend just got soaked for nearly $5k on a CVT for a very new Nissan Rogue.

A lot of the new tech isn't any better than the old.

Just looked on my networks... a used CVT transmission for a 2017 Nissan Rogue 2.5L FWD can be found for less than $1500, with mileages in the teens.

2016 Rogue for same dollars or a bit less. There is a dependency on country of manufacture (US, Japan, or Korea).

Just looked on my networks... a used CVT transmission for a 2017 Nissan Rogue 2.5L FWD can be found for less than $1500, with mileages in the teens.

2016 Rogue for same dollars or a bit less. There is a dependency on country of manufacture (US, Japan, or Korea).

This one wasn't even repairable after some 50k miles, I think he was more interested in the warranty, which was really bad at the dealer and better at the mom & pop transmission place for basically an extra $500. After looking into it he discovered the mom & pop shop is just buying a brand new CVT from the dealer and insurance on it for the extra warranty. The dealer warranty was a joke so he chose the mom & pop shop.

This one wasn't even repairable after some 50k miles, I think he was more interested in the warranty, which was really bad at the dealer and better at the mom & pop transmission place for basically an extra $500. After looking into it he discovered the mom & pop shop is just buying a brand new CVT from the dealer and insurance on it for the extra warranty. The dealer warranty was a joke so he chose the mom & pop shop.
Many auto recyclers, including me, offer added warranties up to 3 years (and some 5 years). We also offer Labor warranties too.

That alone sounds unpleasant. I rented a really nice Ford Taurus Limited a while back that was gorgeous, I really liked it, but that damn transmission was deal killer. I don't want my vehicles to shift 3 times in the first 100 feet from a stop. Its was insanely annoying. F* that crap. I think it had a 6 speed automatic, had paddle shifters all that. A CVT would have been perfect but I'd never buy one of them either.

All of the manufacturers are going to huge numbers of gears in their autos. Chevy is 8, Ford is 10, in the gas truck lineups. The diesels have similar numbers.

All of the manufacturers are going to huge numbers of gears in their autos. Chevy is 8, Ford is 10, in the gas truck lineups. The diesels have similar numbers.

Yuck

That and variable valve timing

yuck

A lot of the new tech isn't any better than the old.

The shifting on my King Ranch F-150 with 5.0L and six speed automatic is barely noticeable, especially in the lower gears. On the rental XLT with 3.5L EcoBoost with ten speed, it was even less noticeable. Both would run off and leave my old 2008 F-150 with 5.4L and 3 speed tranny with OD (4 speed) from a standing stop. They will also go down the road at 70mph turning about 1500rpm or less.

I'm now on my third Ford F-150, second Escape and one Focus (kids vehicles). My wife is still in a GMC Acadia until replace it with an Explorer or Edge within the next year.

Both Ford and Gm are now using the same 10 speed transmission.

Yuck

yuck

Ford has a proven design with cam phasers on their engines. It gives you the best of both worlds, economy when needed and power when needed. One of the many ways they can get more power out of the 5.0 vs 5.3 and others that are stuck with old technology.

Yuck

yuck

Lol, just about every modern auto engine uses some form of VVT. It's usually imperceptible to the driver when it engages. The new 7/8/10 speed auto transmissions are a result of CAFE standards. The manufacturers have to try and keep rpms as low as possible, so it's either add more gears or go with a CVT. CVTs aren't bad, but they have their limitations, especially when used under higher loads (trucks/suvs). I don't see what it matters how many gears it has as long as it operates smoothly.

Ford has a proven design with cam phasers on their engines. It gives you the best of both worlds, economy when needed and power when needed. One of the many ways they can get more power out of the 5.0 vs 5.3 and others that are stuck with old technology.

If by “proven” you mean everyone who owns a Ford with them will pay to replace them eventually... sure. LOL.

It’s a $2200 kit from Ford for those plus all the timing chain and tensioners and all that crap you might as well do while you’re in there.

Ask me how I know. Or how I know what a good shop will charge in labor to replace all that garbage. Garbage that Triton V8 never actually NEEDED.

It’s a running joke in our house now to say “Set cam phasers on stun!” whenever starting the Lincoln pickup now. Or “kill” depending on mood.

We decided to switch the spark plug type to the fancy ones that work right in that engine when we had the cam phaser failure, so in all, about a $3000 repair bill.

Truck is just barely new enough that the amortization of that made sense against the value of the vehicle, or we’d have sold it and let it become someone else’s problem. And the Mrs likes the color and Lincoln bling. That “white chocolate” color works very well out here with dirt roads and it’s hard to find.

The owners pay for the unnecessary added complexity to meet CAFE and other California driven (pun?) standards and to fix the manufacturer’s mistakes in implementing them.

That’s why the moving valve train done by electrical on the Chevy four-banger looks “fussy” to me. Chevy isn’t exactly known for great electrics. Not as bad as Chrysler, or the British, but not at the top of the pack. And that engine really NEEDS all that complexity to drag a half-ton truck around. Limp mode on a four banger puling just the trick, let alone a trailer is going to suuuuuuuuuuck.

Back