[rant] Royal WTF? [rant]

It's just entertainment folks!

I can't say that I am following it at all, but I can see how it would be kind of fun to watch.

It's neat to see what almost unlimited money and 1000 years of tradition building can do.

I listen to a lot of BBC because I've found that they usually do a better job of covering "our" news than our news media does and the coverage is also typically more neutral than our media. It's on all night, I can't sleep without some sort of noise.

I've found it interesting that they seem to care a lot less about the royal wedding than we do.

They did an article about it this morning though. Well, not actually on the wedding, rather an article on how infatuated America is with the whole royal wedding thing. They found it hard to understand and laughed that our Founding Fathers are likely rolling in their graves.

They also suggested that Americans should change their MAGA hats to MAGBA.

(make America Great Britain again)

<har>

Last edited:
Mind boggling and stomach churning.

I’ve thought this way for a long, long time going back at least to when the now dead chick married the goof faced prince dude and so many Americans went all gaga over it. It’s even worse now.

In 1776 we told royalty and England to eff off and then beat their ass in two wars. Then of course we had to help bale them and the rest of Europe out in two other wars. They deserve neither our respect nor our admiration let alone all the adoration that gets poured on them by all of the putrid anglophiles in this country.

Disgusting.

Well what a degrading post aimed at your allies ...you should be ashamed of yourself...

All I'll add to the rant is when you "Helped us out" in WW2 what use was your beloved P51 Mustang until WE gave it the Rolls Royce engine ?....I'll leave it right there...:p

I listen to a lot of BBC because I've found that they usually do a better job of covering "our" news than our news media does and the coverage is also typically more neutral than our media.

Strange, isn't it..??

Note: Everything we gave the UK for WWII was essentially free, but the US loaned the UK a lot of money and the UK paid back double the amount borrowed.
I would argue the 500,000+ American lives lost in WWI and WWII were far from free.

The beauty of cable TV is that you have so many options. If you don't like the coverage of the royal wedding, change channels. Or, turn the TV off. It's really simple.

I missed the show this morning because we were driving up to SEA for our flights to CUN. Of course, the flight from SEA to IAH was delayed by about 4 hours, which blew our 1 hour connection at IAH, so we're going through SFO and arriving about 1 1/2 hours later than planned. Oh well, that's life.

Back to your rant...

I'd rather dig a ditch with a spoon than watch the royal wedding. However, I'd pay good money to watch the Royal Consummation.

I like watching the opening of Parliament. So much fun. Black rod (or was it white rod), various people, slamming the door in the face of the Lords, the queen reading someone else's statement. Chuckle.

England, where any boy can aspire to grow up and become queen.

What a great day it’s been here in the U.K. the nation and visitors from all over the world welcome a new royal couple, the sun is shining, the bbq is hot, the beer is cold....all is well in the world for a few hours

God save the Queen

I would not assume Royal anything is embraced by the British people.
2/3 of Brits not interested in Royal wedding
Someone said Canadians kowtow to the Brits also. That's completely bogus too. Yes a few old timers might want to but I'd guess 90% are quite content without anything British.

Tom Downey has it; Turn it off and go fly. Coincidentally, I gave a ride to an adorable young Brit last week in my Bellanca! That soft sweet British accent and great smile! She loved it!

Sometimes I wish the Royals would go back to having Halter Top Day.

Old-Royals-Halter-Top.png

They’ve had a tough season. This could be exactly what’s needed.

How about giving your admiration to this guy:

From fighting the Taliban to launching the Invictus Games to support wounded veterans, Harry has spent his entire adult life in uniform.

Pretty easy to do considering his contacts and money. Not belittling his service or performance once he was in, but come on. Give me a break.

Admired for what? Being born of a particular lineage?.

Yes, Nate, exactly.

Admired for being from a family tree with no branches and still being able to construct complete sentences.

The good news is IT'S FREAKIN' OVER.

Hopefully we won't have to put up with "post game analysis" for days on end.

Yes, Nate, exactly.

Admired for being from a family tree with no branches and still being able to construct complete sentences.

ROFLMAO! True. And with the miracles of modern dentistry they at least look like they have all their teeth. :)

Strange place that puts what are essentially the inbred twits on display and idolize them.

ROFLMAO! True. And with the miracles of modern dentistry they at least look like they have all their teeth. :)

Strange place that puts what are essentially the inbred twits on display and idolize them.

At least they earn their own living, their cashflow is net positive for the exchequer.

And talking about strange places, nothing is stranger than idolizing Kardashians and other worthless scum like that. At least the royal family has done something good in the world.

At least they earn their own living, their cashflow is net positive for the exchequer.

And talking about strange places, nothing is stranger than idolizing Kardashians and other worthless scum like that. At least the royal family has done something good in the world.
Their cash flow is positive because they own downtown London...

Not too hard to do with the contacts they have. It’s not like they’re starting out as dishwashers and creating a life and a career out of nothing. (Like I did, not that I consider it all that strange or special... get ass up, go to work, do things people want to pay money for, wash, rinse, repeat.)

I’m guessing they never sat through their first interview for a highly technical job thinking, “Man, if this doesn’t work out I’m going to be working at that gas station for a really long time.” BTDT. Got the t-shirt. And the job.

I suspect their holdings as investments also help the positive cash flow although I read somewhere they gave a bunch of stuff back to the government or something. Yawn.

And Kardashians, agreed. Eff those idiots. But I’m sure Kanye had a nice Mother’s Day present for Bruce. LOL.

Mind boggling and stomach churning.

I’ve thought this way for a long, long time going back at least to when the now dead chick married the goof faced prince dude and so many Americans went all gaga over it. It’s even worse now.

In 1776 we told royalty and England to eff off and then beat their ass in two wars. Then of course we had to help bale them and the rest of Europe out in two other wars. They deserve neither our respect nor our admiration let alone all the adoration that gets poured on them by all of the putrid anglophiles in this country.

Disgusting.

Agree 100%

And not only why are they admired but why is the media so obsessed with all of it? The coverage is nonstop. That’s what really irritates me. If some individuals are enthralled by royalty that is their business as repugnant as I might find it. But I find the fact that the US media and even US political figures are so obsessed to be really sickening.

Agreed Again

I don't care about the royal wedding, I just watch sports instead. But I understand the need for the British people to get a distraction from the Brexit mess, talk about a gigantic self inflicted wound.

nate that last image; way too crude

Welcome to the Internet. Three drink minimum.

Thank the paparazzi that killed her, chasing her around for money shots and the idiots who wanted to watch all the videos and see all the photos of everything the poor girl did who paid the paparazzi with every time they dropped everything in their boring azz lives to see what a princess was doing.

Ahhhh. Here we go. A Royal Wedding I can get behind... ;) Much better. And change the combination on my luggage!

bd78f8b28cb0359833673814309485ee.jpg

Admired for what? Being born of a particular lineage?

I’ll save my admiration for someone who deserves it, thanks.

You would have to ask the people who admire them.

I care little one way or another. I neither venerate them nor denegrate them.

And talking about strange places, nothing is stranger than idolizing Kardashians and other worthless scum like that.

Truer words were never spoken here.

At least they earn their own living, their cashflow is net positive...

Really? Then why do they need the "sovereign grant" from the British government to the tune of about $350 to $400 million ANNUALLY? Sounds to me like Elizabeth is the epitome of Reagan's welfare queen.

Truer words were never spoken here.

Really? Then why do they need the "sovereign grant" from the British government to the tune of about $350 to $400 million ANNUALLY? Sounds to me like Elizabeth is the epitome of Reagan's welfare queen.
That number you quoted sounds more like the profits from the crown estates. The "Sovereign grant" is around 82 million pounds. The sovereign grants are from profits from their own estates. Essentially, they are getting a portion of their own money back, 15-25% of the profits. @mtuomi has the right of it.

See: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40412343

Anyway- that is an issue for the the British to deal with, or not, as they please. We have enough of our own here.

I think you will find that those of us who dislike all of this fanaticism over the royals dislike the kartrashians and their ilk even more.

You notice how Markle had cute little 7-year-old twins hold her train so she didn't get upstaged like Kate did:

pippa-middleton-great-arse1-e1304169463121-539x600.jpg

That number you quoted sounds more like the profits from the crown estates. The "Sovereign grant" is around 82 million pounds. The sovereign grants are from profits from their own estates. Essentially, they are getting a portion of their own money back, 15-25% of the profits. @mtuomi has the right of it.

See: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40412343

Anyway- that is an issue for the the British to deal with, or not, as they please. We have enough of our own here.

Hmmm...I read an article this morning stating the 2017 grant was $350 million. It was obviously wrong. Wiki confirms numbers closer to your bbc article.

With that said, who paid for their estate? The British taxpayers over the years?

Hmmm...I read an article this morning stating the 2017 grant was $350 million. It was obviously wrong. Wiki confirms numbers closer to your bbc article.

With that said, who paid for their estate? The British taxpayers over the years?
I think they just took it with an army, back in the year 1066. The rules were a bit different then. The Tower of London and Windsor Castle were Bill-The-Conqueror projects. Some of the other estates, such as Hampton Court, were given by grateful or coerced subjects. Some are investments.

I copy and pasted this tid bit of Olympic history:

"Before the 1908 Summer Olympics could even kick off, controversy embroiled the London games when a subtle act of defiance was committed on a world stage.

During the opening ceremony of the games, representatives of each country entered White City Stadium in procession and flag bearers from all nations lowered their banners when passing the royal box.
The gesture was done as a sign of respect toward King Edward VII and their host nation, the United Kingdom.
As the American procession passed the royal box, flag bearer Ralph Rose refused to drop the American Flag.
Though it was never proven, it is said that Rose acted at the behest of Irish-American Olympian Martin Sheridan, the captain of the US Olympic Team that year.

Famously, Sheridan is said to have quipped that "this flag dips to no Earthly king."

The act of defiance was believed to be equal parts American patriotism and Irish rebel spirit. Sheridan was a native of County Mayo, Ireland who, like many, resented the rule of the British monarchy. Ireland wouldn't begin its path to independence until 1916's Proclamation of Independence."

Well I've never read so much bigotry on one tread...and the most vocal comments from clueless individuals !
And there was me thinking we were allies in arms who stood shoulder to shoulder for the greater good....

Well I've never read so much bigotry on one tread...and the most vocal comments from clueless individuals !
And there was me thinking we were allies in arms who stood shoulder to shoulder for the greater good....

So not being impressed with a system of government we dumped 250 years ago is bigotry?

Good to know.

Back