@scottfromboston nailed it. You don't want a complex airplane if your goal is training and time building. Again, you don't even need it for commercial/CFI any more.

So, find an airplane that is simple and forgiving and easy to sell, and fly the hell out of it.

Also, avoid the "deals" where the airplane has been sitting. If you're looking at a Turbo Arrow that's been sitting for $40,000 vs. a normally aspirated Arrow that's been flying for $50,000, just remember that the "cheap" one can easily have another $40,000 or more in maintenance bills awaiting you in the short term, and after you fix it all up you've spent $80,000 on a $40,000 airplane.
He should just buy my turbo Dakota. It’s finest kind...

How about a Grumman Tiger? As fast as an Arrow, great rear seat leg room, fixed gear, fixed pitch prop, low maintenance, most popular engine in general aviation, good resale value, outstanding ventilation, cheap to insure and sexy as heck! Fold down the rear seat and you have an 6 ft long airborne SUV size space for camping gear, bikes, surfboards, a few German Sheppards or a platoon of Chihuahuas!

Hard to find a cheaper to own and operate 135-138 knot, 10 gph airplane. And yes, you CAN fly with the canopy open! Great for long summer climbs to cooler altitudes.

And besides you get to tell everyone you are a GRUMMAN every time you key the mike!

Attachments

• 0D5DB191-4C55-4250-AE82-CECB5BFED2ED.jpeg
    0D5DB191-4C55-4250-AE82-CECB5BFED2ED.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I've had my Turbo Arrow for over 20 yrs. PM on the side and I'll be glad to share with you what works, and what doesn't. Off the top, what doesn't - there's no accessories that are belt driven, so the previous comment doesn't apply. And since it's turbo'd w/o a full authority waste gate controller, I'd not recommend renting it out. Don't buy it and think 'flipping it' for something else down the road is a good investment. What does work - it's an honest 140kt plane down low, and 155kt plane mid-teens - 60% power setting in cruise. Can carry your significant other and another couple reasonably comfortable with about 4.5 hours of fuel and a toothbrush. Nothing spectacular, just honest Piper.

180 Hp Arrow for 26K that engine even high time does not work that hard and may last a lot longer, ADS-B big plus. Whatever you do engine upgrade or avionics it still a old 180 hp Arrow and that is not going to change. Most have a prop that have a AD every 100 hours, yearly cost to keep it up not bad, a great plane. The 180HP is a little harder to sell and down the road you will also have that problem so don't put a lot of money in it, buy it for what it is not what you think you can make it into.

I've had my Turbo Arrow for over 20 yrs. PM on the side and I'll be glad to share with you what works, and what doesn't. Off the top, what doesn't - there's no accessories that are belt driven, so the previous comment doesn't apply. And since it's turbo'd w/o a full authority waste gate controller, I'd not recommend renting it out. Don't buy it and think 'flipping it' for something else down the road is a good investment. What does work - it's an honest 140kt plane down low, and 155kt plane mid-teens - 60% power setting in cruise. Can carry your significant other and another couple reasonably comfortable with about 4.5 hours of fuel and a toothbrush. Nothing spectacular, just honest Piper.

No one has pointed out that there's no way to tell how the engine in the proposed Turbo Arrow has been cared for in its 820 hour life.

It might be a bit much for a student to take on.

I would not recommend a Turbo Arrow (especially a 1977) for you at your current training level, early ones had some problems. 1977 will most likely have a fixed waste gate. And head cooling issues.
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/1992/april/pilot/piper-turbo-arrow

A friend bought a Mooney M20C with high time engine for $24K, then bought a mid time Lyc IO-360 for $8K. Swapped out the engine and sold the high time for $5K. Consider an engine swap on the older 180HP arrow. Or as ScottfromBoston recommends a simpler airplane to build your time without draining your wallet.

Back