GoPro advice

Thanks. Happy to provide this heads up..

I forget if they forced me to upgrade to the new version of the app or if it was a new install on my android phone but if you still have the older app on your device I would keep using that as long as possible.

That's the rub though. In head to head comparisons the knock offs are *not* the same quality of manufacture, video and programming.
No disagreement here.
However, I am not a professional and don't have a need for 4K videos etc. (if I actually did, I would buy professional equipment anyway)
For $30 a pop, 2 of these knock-offs do a great job at 1080p (they DO offer 4K, I just don't use it) and offer all the options I need as an amateur. I do not publish any of my videos anyway, I just send some to my mom or friends if they care.

Iflyatiger, is that for real? Requiring Internet login to start a recording? For some, that's not a problem on the ground since they have cell signal and unlimited data. But what about in the flight levels? LOL
Some companies will do anything to make a buck off of our personal information and habits. :)

Yes for real..

Although my research showed some talk about the app keeping working even without an internet connection for x number of hours / days. So for instance you log in then go airborne with no internet it will still work but stay outside of internet for long enough it will prompt for a login. There are ways past the login prompt but not intuitive or easy, more you have to trick your way past.. Very not cool on GoPro's part..

Keep in mind that the camera will work fine without the use of the app.. but the app was a great feature and did motivate me to buy a newer camera with that capability.

One more thing.. A week ago I downloaded the video editing program from GoPro for use on a windows machine. Guess what.. You are forced to create or have a GoPro account and forced to be logged in to use the software!
I found no way to bypass the login..

GoPro is no longer selling you a camera they are trying to sell you the software that goes with it and you are paying for it is with your information and privacy.

I live with it when a company is giving me something for free as a trade for my information but we shouldn't let this be ok with a company that we pay big bucks to for the hardware.

No disagreement here.
However, I am not a professional and don't have a need for 4K videos etc. (if I actually did, I would buy professional equipment anyway)
For $30 a pop, 2 of these knock-offs do a great job at 1080p (they DO offer 4K, I just don't use it) and offer all the options I need as an amateur. I do not publish any of my videos anyway, I just send some to my mom or friends if they care.

Iflyatiger, is that for real? Requiring Internet login to start a recording? For some, that's not a problem on the ground since they have cell signal and unlimited data. But what about in the flight levels? LOL
Some companies will do anything to make a buck off of our personal information and habits. :)

Back