New pilot struggling

Kimberly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SoaringSmurfette
Hello all. I’m currently a Flight Attendant who just started flying lessons to become a pilot.
I’m about 5 hours in and I’m frustrated ALL THE TIME!
The online ground school just angers me because just as I think I’m “getting it”, I go to answer the quiz questions and get them all wrong. I don’t feel like I have any kind of foundation at all.

My instructor has taught me a lot but when it comes to performing, I stink! I either freeze up, manhandle the controls, or flat out just get angry and shut down.

Any suggestions on how to better build my foundation? Or is it just a dive into the deep end and figure it out process?

5 hours? Relax, it comes together. While personally I soloed on my first lesson as did many others here, mere humans take longer. ;)

Don't get angry, and expect to be not very good at first, it will come and it's worth it when it does. My best advice is to relax.

There’s a bit of drinking from a fire hose aspect to things. Your instructor should be helping by reducing the workload. Perhaps a bit of talk with him/her/it will help them ‘get it’. It might also help you focus on exactly what things are causing frustration. Some one step at a time while talking it through stuff may help. There’s a lot going on with even supposedly simple things like straight and level.

Communication can be a real key. I was doing something wrong and my instructor had me doing exercises which I absolutely hated to correct it and the instructor never told me why we doing the exercises. Sometimes the student can make the instructor actually do their job other times not so much. I eventually had to fire my primary instructor mostly over the communication problems.

I might suggest a ground school where a live instructor could catch you before you run off the road (figuratively speaking, of course). Even a group setting would be better than trying to learn this all by yourself.

-Skip

Last edited:
5 hours? Relax, it comes together. While personally I soloed on my first lesson as did many others here, mere humans take longer. ;)

Don't get angry, and expect to be not very good at first, it will come and it's worth it when it does. My best advice is to relax.
keep at it, it takes time.
time equals more $$$

time equals more $$$
Aviation = Expensive. Can't worry about that when you are training. In the airplane, pilot, shut the rest out, including the "this is taking forever, costing me a fortune" thoughts, it's very counter productive. Really, if you just chill, you will be fine. Screwing up is part of the process, concentrate on learning from the screw up and subsequent correction rather than getting ****ed you screwed up. It takes a while, some of us longer than others.

If online isn't working for you, go out and find a good old fashion ground school with a classroom, books, and an instructor. Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone learns the same, or at the same rate.
You're in the aviation business. Surely, you can find a friend, or a friend of a friend, who is willing to take you up in their plane every now and again and give you the controls. Flying should be enjoyable, not something frustrating that requires you to prove yourself every time you go up.

If online isn't working for you, go out and find a good old fashion ground school with a classroom, books, and an instructor. Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone learns the same, or at the same rate.
And there are different online courses. @Kimberly, which are you using now?

It might be worth investigating one of the others such as Gleim, King Schools, Sporty's, ASA, and Gold Seal. All present the same information, but in their own unique ways. Perhaps one of those will be a good choice for your learning style.

Welcome to PoA! Awesome that you started flying, congrats!

I don’t feel like I have any kind of foundation at all.
That's probably the core issue, without a foundation it is hard to really learn anything. Have you done any ground work with your CFI or has it all been in the air? I ask because, personally, I find most many of the aviation online courses mediocre at best, and a complete waste of time at worst. The best foundation will come from just having a chat with your CFI.. doesn't even need to be an official pseudo classroom thing, just a back and forth chat about being a pilot and airplanes. If you can get a core foundation down through a discussional format with her or him I think that will help you. There are some cool YouTube channels out there as well about flying, not necessarily to learn from, but to start building that "this is what flying a plane is like" foundation

My instructor has taught me a lot but when it comes to performing, I stink! I either freeze up, manhandle the controls, or flat out just get angry and shut down.
Well, you are only 5 hrs in, so you have to cut yourself some serious slack. With flying you'll learn early on to NOT get lost in your head.. even though it can sometimes feel overwhelming, especially in training. When you feel yourself freezing up, or manhandling, or getting angry, etc., what is the first thing that causes that? I ask because, depending on what causes you to come unglued can have an impact on the best way to overcome it
--for some people that's fear of stalling / crashing / wings falling off / death so they freeze up or panic and overcompensate. Best way to get over that is to let your CFI do some maneuvers and get comfortable in the air. Since you work in aviation currently I doubt this is you, but I pose it as an example
*if you can figure out the root of what it is that causes things to unravel then that might help find a remedy. From the sounds of it, you might just be holding yourself to a standard that is too high. Holding yourself to high standards is good, but not if you set the bar so high you can't cross it and then you just get frustrated

Any suggestions on how to better build my foundation? Or is it just a dive into the deep end and figure it out process?
Other than what I wrote above, you *could* try going flying with a few different instructors, or even go up as a passenger with another local pilot. Not saying there is anything wrong with your CFI, but learning to fly involves spending a lot of time with one other person, and it's expensive and challenging, so it's important you find a CFI that is a good fit for you. Might also just help seeing how other people fly, etc., to help you get more comfortable from a pilot's perspective and being up in a small plane

cheers and happy flying!

And there are different online courses. @Kimberly, which are you using now?

It might be worth investigating one of the others such as Gleim, King Schools, Sporty's, ASA, and Gold Seal. All present the same information, but in their own unique ways. Perhaps one of those will be a good choice for your learning style.
I’m using King Schools. Every pilot I talk to says they’re the best. They’re cheesy as all get out, but they know their stuff. My problem is, I don’t. And every time I think I’m understanding, a new variable (wind direction, runway, standard vs. non-standard pattern) pops up. It’s maddening!!

You might want to just stop flying.

For now.

Finish your ground school and pass the written.

Then start flying again.

Welcome to PoA! Awesome that you started flying, congrats!

That's probably the core issue, without a foundation it is hard to really learn anything. Have you done any ground work with your CFI or has it all been in the air? I ask because, personally, I find most many of the aviation online courses mediocre at best, and a complete waste of time at worst. The best foundation will come from just having a chat with your CFI.. doesn't even need to be an official pseudo classroom thing, just a back and forth chat about being a pilot and airplanes. If you can get a core foundation down through a discussional format with her or him I think that will help you. There are some cool YouTube channels out there as well about flying, not necessarily to learn from, but to start building that "this is what flying a plane is like" foundation

Well, you are only 5 hrs in, so you have to cut yourself some serious slack. With flying you'll learn early on to NOT get lost in your head.. even though it can sometimes feel overwhelming, especially in training. When you feel yourself freezing up, or manhandling, or getting angry, etc., what is the first thing that causes that? I ask because, depending on what causes you to come unglued can have an impact on the best way to overcome it
--for some people that's fear of stalling / crashing / wings falling off / death so they freeze up or panic and overcompensate. Best way to get over that is to let your CFI do some maneuvers and get comfortable in the air. Since you work in aviation currently I doubt this is you, but I pose it as an example
*if you can figure out the root of what it is that causes things to unravel then that might help find a remedy. From the sounds of it, you might just be holding yourself to a standard that is too high. Holding yourself to high standards is good, but not if you set the bar so high you can't cross it and then you just get frustrated

Other than what I wrote above, you *could* try going flying with a few different instructors, or even go up as a passenger with another local pilot. Not saying there is anything wrong with your CFI, but learning to fly involves spending a lot of time with one other person, and it's expensive and challenging, so it's important you find a CFI that is a good fit for you. Might also just help seeing how other people fly, etc., to help you get more comfortable from a pilot's perspective and being up in a small plane

cheers and happy flying!
Thank you!!! Great info

time equals more $$$
Ouch. Trying to get to the checkride in a minimal amount of money is a sure recipy for mounting tension, and then of course you'll get anxious, underperform, become angry, and things go downhill from there. I spent $14,400 from start through a Private checkride. I am sure you can do better, but this is the amount you absolutely must have on tap, just for contingencies. And if you want to go pro, you need a lot more for the Multi-engine, Instrument, etc.

I’m using King Schools. Every pilot I talk to says they’re the best. They’re cheesy as all get out, but they know their stuff. My problem is, I don’t. And every time I think I’m understanding, a new variable (wind direction, runway, standard vs. non-standard pattern) pops up. It’s maddening!!
One thing PoA is helpful for is explaining (sometimes OVER explaining) different concepts.

As you work through the King videos, if you get stuck on something, create a new thread on the topic. Tell us what concept you're having difficulty with, maybe some background on what specifically you're stuck on, and then let the folks here help.

Another idea is to seek out a local-to-you mentor pilot. Someone that might be willing to meet with you once or twice a week for coffee and knowledge review.

Probably some of the best training material around and you will love the price. Spend an hour a day reading these, they are well done, skip to the sections you are having issues with.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/faa-h-8083-27a.pdf

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/
Take them with a glass of water. They are a little dry...

If it helps -

I just went back and looked at my early entries in my log book. It took me 10-15 hours before I wasn't manhandling the airplane and could kinda keep a straight line enough for us to come down and try some landings. I was somewhere between 30 and 40 when I soloed.

Relax. Nobody knows how they're going to learn and trying to set an artificial deadline or to believe that you're not progressing at the "right" pace is just frustration. In the end, it is all time spent flying.

Offering this to help, if it does, great!

I never took ground school at all. There is no requirement to do so. Just took a quickie boot camp over the weekend that guaranteed you to pass the exam. Scored 96. Recommend this.

As far as the cost of training, the real cost is flying, period. If you had your ticket right now, in order to be anywhere near safe you would have to put in 2 hrs a week every week for a few years. The cost of 20 hrs instructor time, flight examiner etc is peanuts on top of this. So pretend you have your ticket, you are into 2 hrs a week for a while. If you cannot do this do not start flying.
Finally, before I got my ticket I met a lot of people with sad stories about how they started and never finished, Blah blah blah. So I decided to take leave and knock it out in 30 days. Had to shop around for an instructor who believed I could do this but found one and went from first flight to PPL in 38 days. 2 hops a day. So if you can, do this. You will not forget as much between hops.

Aviation = Expensive. Can't worry about that when you are training. In the airplane, pilot, shut the rest out

I succumbed to this today for a couple minutes myself. I'm training in an SR20, and we were stuck on the ground at KAPA waiting to take off, and I started thinking, "This plane costs X dollars per hour, I just spent 20 minutes here on the ground waiting to take off, that's $$$..."

I had to remind myself to shut that out of my head. Learning to fly isn't cheap, and even when sitting on the ground there are opportunities for me to learn - listening to comms, asking questions of my instructor, etc.

One thing that helped me is I went out and sat in the airplane and talked myself through all the maneuvers. Just make sure to remove the control lock and put it back when finished.

I succumbed to this today for a couple minutes myself. I'm training in an SR20, and we were stuck on the ground at KAPA waiting to take off, and I started thinking, "This plane costs X dollars per hour, I just spent 20 minutes here on the ground waiting to take off, that's $$$..."

I had to remind myself to shut that out of my head. Learning to fly isn't cheap, and even when sitting on the ground there are opportunities for me to learn - listening to comms, asking questions of my instructor, etc.

That still hurts though, I like uncontrolled fields much better for that reason.

5 hours is way early to be worrying. Students progress and comprehend at different rates. I would suggest sitting down with your instructor and talk about your concerns. Sometimes instructors may not sense you're having problem, so speak up to your CFI.

You're a FA, regional or major? Probably more of the pilots at regionals were CFIs, and the majors will have a few also. They're a great resource and sounding board. Most will be happy to help and explain things.

Cessna 150 and 152. Sometimes a 172 if the others aren’t available. Trying to keep it cost effective.

Switching between 3 different airplanes in 5 hours is not cost effective.

Probably some of the best training material around and you will love the price. Spend an hour a day reading these, they are well done, skip to the sections you are having issues with.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/faa-h-8083-27a.pdf

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/
I have all of these both digital and paper copy. It’s helping because I can write notes on the pages. But I’m still having trouble adjusting my comprehension.
Landing pattern is a good example. I was able to nail down a standard left-turn pattern and finally figured out the different points (downwind, base, final) but in the air, that all changes. So what I have in my head gets all turned around and I lose my place if you will. Or a question will be asked about the theory and I’m lost.

Switching between 3 different airplanes in 5 hours is not cost effective.
It’s whats been available when I have the time. I live in MEM but am based in DTW so I have to commute. And I’m a Flight Attendant so I have to work 100+ hrs a month to make sure I have enough for bills and lessons. Sometimes I can only fly once a week, others three times.

Cessna 150 and 152. Sometimes a 172 if the others aren’t available. Trying to keep it cost effective.

I'd recommend staying with one of those planes if possible, a lot of air speeds to learn for each particular plane. 150/152 are very similar, but the 150's airspeed indictor may be in mph while the 152's will be in knots. My students fly one type, such as a 152 or 172.

I'd recommend staying with one of those planes if possible, a lot of air speeds to learn for each particular plane. 150/152 are very similar, but the 150's airspeed indictor may be in mph while the 152's will be in knots. My students fly one type, such as a 152 or 172.

The 150 and 152 have different engines and props, so the power settings are different.
If it's an older 150 the seating position, thus sight picture will be different.
The difference between the 172 and a 150/152 would be even more significant.

Considering the amount of information a new student must learn, even two airplanes is too many, let alone three.

It’s whats been available when I have the time. I live in MEM but am based in DTW so I have to commute. And I’m a Flight Attendant so I have to work 100+ hrs a month to make sure I have enough for bills and lessons. Sometimes I can only fly once a week, others three times.

My point was that playing musical airplanes is more likely to hurt you than help you even if you get to fly more often. To reduce forgetting, bring a GoPro and/or debrief yourself in a journal instead, then review it periodically.

time equals more $$$

You will always pay to fly unless and until you become a pro.

Figure out the $/month you can afford. Train at that pace now and fly at that pace when you get your ticket. Training is just part of flying. Looking at it this way should take away some of the “OMG I’ve spent $5k and haven’t soloed yet” sort of pressure.

Cut yourself some slack. You are worrying about the summit push when you haven’t left base camp yet.

I have all of these both digital and paper copy. It’s helping because I can write notes on the pages. But I’m still having trouble adjusting my comprehension.
Landing pattern is a good example. I was able to nail down a standard left-turn pattern and finally figured out the different points (downwind, base, final) but in the air, that all changes. So what I have in my head gets all turned around and I lose my place if you will. Or a question will be asked about the theory and I’m lost.

It might be worth getting a bit more specific about these issues to see if anyone here can help. You say you "finally figured out the different points" - what was giving you trouble? Was it just a case of remembering the names, or did you have trouble understanding where to make each turn etc.?

In the same vein, when you say it "all changes" in the air - how exactly? Is it that the way the instructor wants you to fly the pattern doesn't match what you learned on the ground, or just that it's hard to fly the exact rectangular pattern?

Some of these things might require more attention, discussing with your instructor or reading up on theory elsewhere, and some are just normal things that go away with time. A lot of the time, instructors don't really get this, which astonished me when I started. Any time I've been unable to do something, I get the standard text book lecture about the theory of what I'm supposed to be doing. It never occurs to them then you might understand exactly what you're supposed to do, but you just don't have the skill yet. But just as often, it's the other way around - they just assume that you need more practice when in fact you don't really know what you're supposed to be doing.

Did you check if your tray tables were up and your seat backs were in the upright and locked position ;)

I'd recommend finding a more experienced instructor.

I'd also recommend starting off in gliders to both save money while also building a better foundation.

Smiling inside visualizing her giving the DPE the safety briefing, please oh please bring that little mini seatbelt to demonstrate the usage of the belts :)

Ouch. Trying to get to the checkride in a minimal amount of money is a sure recipy for mounting tension, and then of course you'll get anxious, underperform, become angry, and things go downhill from there.

^^^ This. Trying to force your learning because of financial reasons is a recipe for increased stress and inhibited learning.

Not to say you can’t be smart with your learning, and look for ways to be efficient, but we all learn at different rates and the skills come when they come.

^^^ This. Trying to force your learning because of financial reasons is a recipe for increased stress and inhibited learning.

Not to say you can’t be smart with your learning, and look for ways to be efficient, but we all learn at different rates and the skills comes when they come.

Agreed. If you’re that strappedi for cash while training, how will you afford flying once you have your certificate?

I know how she feels, on the ground you know it, add in that big noise maker up front, plus trying to make the AC do what you want using your primary attention and it becomes cerebral overload. Add in a different airplane each time with different characteristics and it makes it worse. Practice and familiarity will fix it, along with patience. Controlling the Aircraft becomes automatic, to a degree, resulting in mental capacity to fly a pattern, land and learn a bunch of new stuff. It takes time and money.

5 hours is way early to be worrying. Students progress and comprehend at different rates. I would suggest sitting down with your instructor and talk about your concerns. Sometimes instructors may not sense you're having problem, so speak up to your CFI.

You're a FA, regional or major? Probably more of the pilots at regionals were CFIs, and the majors will have a few also. They're a great resource and sounding board. Most will be happy to help and explain things.
Major. And yes, most are super excited for me and have offered a TON of wonderful (and repetitive) advice. Problem is, I only get a few minutes with them before boarding starts and the door closes. Then we land and a whole new set joins my crew. Haha

Hello all. I’m currently a Flight Attendant who just started flying lessons to become a pilot.
I’m about 5 hours in and I’m frustrated ALL THE TIME!
The online ground school just angers me because just as I think I’m “getting it”, I go to answer the quiz questions and get them all wrong. I don’t feel like I have any kind of foundation at all.

Welcome to POA!!!

Back