Bent Baron

“It was a great trip until the last five seconds!”

LOL. I already like these people. Sorry about their airplane though. :)

"I think I broke my airplane," was Benson's first comment on the wreckage

Yup ya did. :)

wow thats the best accident report in a newspaper article that i think i've ever read

The pilots basically wrote it which helps immensely.
Great article though.

Just curious, with the gusting winds would you add half the gust factor to the approach speed in a twin? I think they said they were at 110 coming over the trees.

Well, it's a small town in Oregon. Likely they already knew each other. Or are related!

Not sure exactly what that has to do with being a reporter instead of an editorial opinion writer disguised as one, like most “reporters” today, but yeah... likely true.

This is a very sobering article!

I went up for a lesson a couple weeks ago and we were only up in the air for about 15 minutes when the instructor started hearing reports from pilots (one in a Citation jet) encountering low level wind shear, and losing 10 kts or more on final (IIRC). We ended the lesson and landed ASAP.

It's one thing to have the instructor explain why LLWS is dangerous. But it really hits home as a low-time student pilot to read a recent article like this.

So glad the only thing bent was the airplane, and that they're all safe! Shame, though - a twin Baron. Nice plane! Hopefully they can get her all fixed up and flying again soon.

Benson instantly initiated the go-around procedure, pushing both throttles all the way forward. But even full thrust of the two roaring 325-horsepower engines was not enough to stop the plane's decent.

Wow! That sentence just sunk in...

Every approach is a Go Around until proven otherwise

I thought it was that every landing is a crash until the pilot prevents it?

Nice job for the pilot. Glad that everyone walked away and the only loss was a great tank with wings.

Uninjured, the crew climbed out and saw the true extent of damage to the aircraft. The two main wheels had buckled up under the wings, the front nose wheel was broken off and laying in the dirt 100 feet away, the right wing was bent upward with the de-icing boots scraped off, and the nose and tail sections were crumpled.

The sheriff's office contacted the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) and NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) to report the crash. Both agencies said they do not consider it to be an "accident" because the passenger cabin was not violated, and there were no injuries. They categorized the event as an "incident," and likely will not conduct an investigation or inspection of the aircraft, Julie Benson reported.

Someone needs to review 830. Sounds like substantial damage to me.

The passenger in the back was the first to break the long silence.

"We should probably get out," he suggested.

Classic.

Back