GMA 340 Audio issues

austinglasair

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rail
After a thorough search through every thread google could produce. I've decided to come to the forum seeking feedback. My GMA 340 is producing static on the CO-PILOT side ICS whenever the Pilot side transmits or whenever there is a radio call. My right seater said it is about probably 80% unreadable. Note that the copilot side transmits clearly. I'm considering taking a 3/32 to the GMA 340 and reseating the unit a handful of times perhaps allowing any form of oxidation that may have formed to be removed from the pins. From there, I suppose I look for a loose ground somewhere. Does anyone have any experience with above issue? All selections on the unit were checked and functional so it's not operator induced.

I’m having the same problem except it’s a 350. Following.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I removed the GMA 340 and closely examined the pins as well as the female connector. All was clean. No sign of corrosion. I reseated the unit in to the tray, gently applied pressure multiple times and fired it up. No resolution. Will attempt to locate a potential ground fault or perhaps an issue with the shielding starting at the copilot headset connector all the way to the back of the GMA 340. Will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine did that for years with the old com/nav radios. During the avionic upgrade the shop called and said he wanted to replace the harness because it was wired wrong. After upgrade, no issues.

I thought is was bleeding over from the RF cables but it clear now that it was the harness.

Good news and (somewhat) bad news. I troubleshot the actual plugs themselves and how they mate in the connector receptacle. No issues with any headset. The copilot headset plug with pressure applied will stop at a very lightly defined detent which is enough to prevent the plug being inadvertently unplugged. However, this is NOT the fully seated position of that plug in to the connector. Therefore the plug at face value does not appear fully seated... The good news is, audio problems solved. Bad news: there's no way this is right. I'll eyeball audio panel wiring harnesses in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of the complaint my avionic guy had was poor quality of wire the previous installer used.

Back