Nice little project.

Some of these antiques are more valuable when they have the actual factory patina. Most have lost their OEM equipment during restoration during the 50-60s This little stuff like knobs, switches, and brass fittings that make it difficult for the purest to bring these aircraft back to life.
We look for projects that are good enough to be flown while the project is being restored little by little. This WACO is one of those.

I live in a big city. Mechanics have to work for a living, and can ill afford to babysit hobbyists. I wouldn't ask them to do so, I firmly believe professionals should be remunerated for their expertise, and would not seek to freeload off their efforts.
Believe me when I say this; Most mechanics worth their salt would welcome the opportunity to work with the owner, rather than for the owner.
(as long as the owner has just one smidgen of common sense)
It can actually reduce the workload on their part.

What did I say a while ago? something along the lines of; "A great vintage aircraft would be $75k and up"?
Notice this is not a pristine example, and at 87k it's still for sale.

Last time this was for sale, (about 5 years ago) it was offered for $75k
gull1.jpg

Close to the same price as a decent Model 17?

Good call. The staggering is a more complex aircraft requiring more hours to restore; however, there are far more of them. Both factors influence the sale price. Then there is the rating of ‘great’ and ‘decent’.

Last time this was for sale, (about 5 years ago) it was offered for $75k
gull1.jpg

V77 do not bring the high prices of the SR series.
Simply because of craftsmanship of the war builders.

6A7A78AD-FEC7-4DA2-BA1C-04E9FE4482E9.png
Notice they do build new SR series :)

STINSON RELIANT

Yes, those Stinsons have lots of wood parts. Every wing rib is different. I’ve visited their shop several times and am in awe of those big monoplanes. I took the controls for a brief time from the right seat in this one last summer. They fly nicely and are supposed to be pretty docile.

They fly nicely and are supposed to be pretty docile.
They do, my dad owned an SR-10-J one of the last ones built, I virtually grew up in it. soloed it when I was 16.
My A&P school class recovered it in 1959, he sold it in1961.

4B5F8603-2E47-4C10-AC3F-180735ACDF94.png
They do, my dad owned an SR-10-J one of the last ones built, I virtually grew up in it. soloed it when I was 16.
My A&P school class recovered it in 1959, he sold it in1961.

Now that is very good to hear. You soloed a Reliant at 16. I would love to fly one. My instructor told me that I could hop in one and fly it competently without any dual time, as long as he showed me how to start it. Cabin owners have told me the same thing.

You learned to fly at a wonderful time. These days students need to search to find instruction in non-spam cans.

I started my lessons in 66. The airport was so proud to offer lessons in their brand new plane! It was a beautiful Cessna 150. I was disappointed because I wanted one of those yellow things they use to have. I learned well in the 150. My instructor knew the ways of conventional gear and taught full-stall landings, slipping, etc.. Anyway, 40+ years later I bought my own yellow thing (even though it isn’t yellow) and finally got my wish.

View attachment 62991

Now that is very good to hear. You soloed a Reliant at 16. I would love to fly one. My instructor told me that I could hop in one and fly it competently without any dual time, as long as he showed me how to start it. Cabin owners have told me the same thing.

You learned to fly at a wonderful time. These days students need to search to find instruction in non-spam cans.

I started my lessons in 66. The airport was so proud to offer lessons in their brand new plane! It was a beautiful Cessna 150. I was disappointed because I wanted one of those yellow things they use to have. I learned well in the 150. My instructor knew the ways of conventional gear and taught full-stall landings, slipping, etc.. Anyway, 40+ years later I bought my own yellow thing (even though it isn’t yellow) and finally got my wish.
My Dad taught me to fly out of a hay field behind our wagon barn, in a 46 J-3 he bought new in a crate. 3 hours to solo. :) that was 1954.

V77 do not bring the high prices of the SR series.
Simply because of craftsmanship of the war builders.
But the SR isn't a warbird. ;) The on in the pic is the one that I grew up in. That's Dad's paint scheme. I has all logs including it's service in the U.S. military as an observation/"spy" plane. Still had the camera mounts in the belly when we got it. A lot of the V-77s were sent to Canada.

But the SR isn't a warbird. ;) The on in the pic is the one that I grew up in. That's Dad's paint scheme. I has all logs including it's service in the U.S. military as an observation/"spy" plane. Still had the camera mounts in the belly when we got it. A lot of the V-77s were sent to Canada.
No matter all that, they just don't bring the prices of the SR series.

Back