Onboard O2 systems

JCranford

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JCranford
Since I bought Ruby, I have yet to need or thank much about the onboard O2. Now that we are planning to fly to OR, I’m thinking about it, and actually plugged in my mask to see if it worked (yeah, I know, I should have known at the pre-buy). It does work, so thats good.

What it the normal full-tank pressure on the gauge supposed to be?

How long should it last with two people sucking O’s?.

Tank sizes vary I suspect and I figure this is a smallish tank since it’s in the ceiling.

I’ll go look in the POH now...

Will it work with an O2D2? Could make a huge difference in tank life.

Hydro test the tank every five years...

Need to know cylinder size,and o2 flow in liters per minute. Then you can do the math.

Flow is easy figure one liter per person per minute per 10,000 feet MSL without a demand flow regulator.

Last edited:
Hmmm, amazing all the info in this POH thingy!

If it is to be believed I have the 4 cylinder system. At pre-buy I was under the impression that the ‘cylinder’ (singular) had been removed and hydrostatically tested, so I was thinking one cylinder somewhere that I could remove and fill at will. On the 4 cylinder system it looks like the fill is accomplished at a full valve on the plane (right wing access panel per the POH).

Full load will supply pilot and one passenger for just shy of 5 hrs (i’ll believe it when I see it).

Guess I’ll go digging around in the ceiling and see if I can find the cylinders!

Probably should also buy a regulator,hoses, little hand cart and make a 2 tank cascade system to fill it.

Personally I'd just fly below o2 levels, more fun and also having stuff crammed up your nose or on your face is annoying.

I'd have to be trying to break some record or crossing a ocean or having a depressurization in a turbine or something for me to go on o2.

Yes, but if you’re flying in mountainous areas, O2 can provide options, like improved routing, or even just aid in the hunt for smooth air.

Yeah, the direct route to OR would take me in to O2 territory at least briefly. And provide some options. I don't particularly *want* to go that high, but I want the option to do so if I need to.

Once it's settled on, I don't find it uncomfortable. What I do enjoy is the airspace between 13-18k for the lack of bugsmashers! The drawback is winds not going my way a lot of times.

Hydro test the tank every five years...
btw....some are three years. So, it depends. Mine is three years (DOT 3HT 115cuft bottle). ;)

and....before ya get to excited about going high....can your's climb that high? My old Cherokee Six wouldn't do much more than 11-12K....and I wouldn't much worry bout oxygen at that altitude.

Last edited:
What it the normal full-tank pressure on the gauge supposed to be?

On mine, max is 2000 psi and it's usually between 1800 and 1900 after a fill. I don't think you're supposed to let them go below 200ish, but we usually refill at about 800, maybe every other year or so.

How long should it last with two people sucking O’s?.

Depends on tank size, altitude flown, whether you have oxymizer cannulas, etc etc... But for us, it's usually a barely perceptible pressure change for a whole trip with our 115 cu. ft. tank, oxymizers, and flying in the mid-teens.

btw....some are three years. So, it depends. Mine is three years. ;)

and....before ya get to excited about going high....can your's climb that high? My old Cherokee Six wouldn't do much more than 11-12K....and I wouldn't much worry bout that altitude.

He has a turbo-charged 210. I believe the published service ceiling for that plane is above 25,000 ft. ;)

On mine, max is 2000 psi and it's usually between 1800 and 1900 after a fill. I don't think you're supposed to let them go below 200ish, but we usually refill at about 800, maybe every other year or so...

Don't forget that, as with all high pressure industrial gas cylinders, the fill pressure is temperature compensated. If the airplane has been sitting on a cold day the gas is denser and the pressure may read lower than when it was filled, even though no O2 may have been used from it.

also....lets not forget that DOT regulates pressure vessels, not the FAA.

He has a turbo-charged 210. I believe the published service ceiling for that plane is above 25,000 ft. ;)

:D

I guess first step is get it filled so I know the starting point and can determine if I have a leak or if they just filled it to 500 (where it reads now) so it wouldn't be empty. Step two if buy oxymizer cannulas with Cessna fittings. Step three launch that beotch to 15K and check it out!

:D

I guess first step is get it filled so I know the starting point and can determine if I have a leak or if they just filled it to 500 (where it reads now) so it wouldn't be empty. Step two if buy oxymizer cannulas with Cessna fittings. Step three launch that beotch to 15K and check it out!
Maybe take a pulse oximeter with you.

Pulse oximeter is your friend.

So is a portable unit as a backup to the built-in system. I'd often use the portable first because it was easier to get filled at some airports.

Yup, already hav a pulse oximeter and look No into portable backups

Back