Have you ever been to Oshkosh?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robert Lobdell

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Robert
I went to Oshkosh last in 1979 with a student pilot named Jeff. I was a fresh young Flight Insturctor and figured if my student wanted to go to Oshkosh and pay for the plane, the least I could do is go along to see he made it okay. We went in a Cessna 150 and the flight was about 5 hours from Ypsilanti Michigan’s Willow Run Airport. We only spent one night and all we had was a tent. Since it was so hot in Michigan we figured it would be pretty warm in Wisconsin. Well, we froze and our arrival was very disconcerting. Never did see the guy in the corn field, the guy in the tower cleared us to land and we landed but, everything happened rather quickly. Looking back it was exciting. But, I do remember I was upset to loose my cool in front of my student. Later I learned that we were the standard and a great deal of people, specially those flying faster planes never see those guys in the fields surrounding Whitman field. This time were driving and spending the whole week. I have already begun compiling a list of things I want to do when I go this time. How many of you are going and have already been. Curious as to any suggestions for those relative new comers. It has, in my case, been almost 40 years. So, tell me what I shouldn’t miss and what I need to make special time for. I am already planning on sitting by the runway and watching the arrivals. We are staying at the Dorm at the university. Can’t wait. . .

It’s pretty easy. Just read the Notam. No need to look for people in fields, just follow the railroad tracks.

This year will be my 12th consecutive year flying in (and longest trip by far since I’m now in San Diego)

In terms of what to do, with a whole week there you can pretty much see everything and some things multiple times.

Since you said you are driving you can skip the NOTAM. I’d start with the AirVenture website as there’s tons of info there about lodging, events, etc.
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure

You’ve been before, but some basic recommendations:
Comfortable walking shoes
Sunscreen
Light jacket/rain gear
Backpack

Since you said you are driving you can skip the NOTAM. I’d start with the AirVenture website as there’s tons of info there about lodging, events, etc.
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure

You’ve been before, but some basic recommendations:
Comfortable walking shoes
Sunscreen
Light jacket/rain gear
Backpack
Cash.

Sorry about the poll. . . Ididn’t. Really think it through. . . I would love to have a chance to meet everyone at Oshkosh. Perhaps many of you are planning on attending the HOPS party. .
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/14th-annual-n40-h-o-p-s-party-invitation.94603/
I heard it’s a great deal of fun.

We’ll have to see. Jay and family were hit hard by Hurricane Harvey. He hasn’t posted yet as to whether they are going to be able to make it this year.

Try to go every other year,however been the last three ,so this is an off year.

Take a box fan for your room. The dorms I’ve stayed in didn’t have air conditioner, but a fan in the window worked perfectly. Flip flops for the community shower in the dorm.

Back