Your life as a Pilot?

Also not super typical, but I make a living as a pilot wearing a few different hats. My husband (Steve) and I operate flight schools at four small airports. So I instruct. I mostly focus on tailwheel, private, instrument, and when we have one, multi and MEI, and Steve does instrument, commercial, CFI and CFII. I also fly corporate for two, sometimes three local businesses. In the summer I use one of our planes and work with an aerial imaging company. And I work in warbirds, giving rides, going to airshows here and there, and doing training in a few different warbirds as well. I do what I do for quality of life. I work with my husband so that if not both, at least one of us has always been able to be available for our daughter's events, programs, etc. I only remember missing one program, and she's 17, so that's not too shabby. I can usually control my schedule as I wish. I have few overnights throughout the year, which means when they happen they are a little vacation for me, and only a couple last-minute call-outs that were legit emergencies that I was glad to be able to help on. I insist on 24 hour advanced notice for instructing flights, minimum, and I have several days notice prior to trips. I like, more like need, the variety. I stay very busy, but it's a busy of my choosing. Home and work life are really well balanced. But every choice you make as a pilot making a living has a cost and a benefit. What I do isn't inherently stable. I don't have representatives or "medical loss" insurance. Part of what I like is that it's in my own hands, but that's also got higher risk. With my hours I'm sure I could find a steady jet job somewhere especially in these times, but I'm just not interested. I enjoy what I do as is, and new and interesting things are always around the corner. :)

Also not super typical, but I make a living as a pilot wearing a few different hats. My husband (Steve) and I operate flight schools at four small airports. So I instruct. I mostly focus on tailwheel, private, instrument, and when we have one, multi and MEI, and Steve does instrument, commercial, CFI and CFII. I also fly corporate for two, sometimes three local businesses. In the summer I use one of our planes and work with an aerial imaging company. And I work in warbirds, giving rides, going to airshows here and there, and doing training in a few different warbirds as well. I do what I do for quality of life. I work with my husband so that if not both, at least one of us has always been able to be available for our daughter's events, programs, etc. I only remember missing one program, and she's 17, so that's not too shabby. I can usually control my schedule as I wish. I have few overnights throughout the year, which means when they happen they are a little vacation for me, and only a couple last-minute call-outs that were legit emergencies that I was glad to be able to help on. I insist on 24 hour advanced notice for instructing flights, minimum, and I have several days notice prior to trips. I like, more like need, the variety. I stay very busy, but it's a busy of my choosing. Home and work life are really well balanced. But every choice you make as a pilot making a living has a cost and a benefit. What I do isn't inherently stable. I don't have representatives or "medical loss" insurance. Part of what I like is that it's in my own hands, but that's also got higher risk. With my hours I'm sure I could find a steady jet job somewhere especially in these times, but I'm just not interested. I enjoy what I do as is, and new and interesting things are always around the corner. :)

That’s a lot of irons in the fire!

I enjoy what I do as is, and new and interesting things are always around the corner. :)

This is it why we all fly what we fly. Some like the airlines, some bush flying, flight instructing, pleasure flying, etc. As long as one is content with their choice that's all that matters. Regardless of what POA members will say about one's choices.

Flightoftwo you definetely have a variety of flying, sounds like it's a blast. Envious, a little. ;) :D

18 years and counting in the USAF as a pilot. Lots and lots of 85 hour weeks, gone for months at a time, getting shot at, etc. Not a lot of time for a family. I didn't get married till almost 31 and I just had my first kid at 40. I'm on mil leave from Delta and will go back there when I finish my 20 in the USAF. From then on I'll have 15 or 16 days a month to do whatever I want (watch my daughter grow up, build a plane, fly warbirds, etc). I wouldn't change anything about my career; I've been very blessed. I do caution people looking to fly (especially fighters) in the USAF - it has changed a lot in my time. More work, less fun, more work, less flying and did I mention more work? :p

I make a living flying. So far my career is: CFI at major school (FSI), regional CRJ fo/ca, freight b727 (121 sup) fo, corporate Piaggio fo/ca, national airline airbus fo (upgrade soon).

My experience is that regional were a lot of fun, but the qol and pay was horrible. 121 suplimental freight was the worst. Super shady company practices and I didn’t feel safe. Also, I didn’t much care for the other pilots I flew with. They had a ton of eastern scabs at the time and the situation really didn’t rub well with me. Corporate was a lot of fun. I flew 91k and I highly recommend that. Airline sched with corporate perks. Pax were 99% super awesome. National airline is fun. It offers the best chance for me, imho(1), to make money and retire with dignity. Plus, flying brand new A320 series aircraft is a very spoiling experience.

CFI is what it is....but I had a very unique experience being in a SwissAir contract so my experience isn’t typical. Overall I can’t imagine doing anything else. If I lost my medical I’d be super screwed as I don’t know how to do anything else and, honestly, don’t WANT to do anything else. (Please don’t tell my boss that)

YMMV

1: H = Humble and I am willing to die on this hill. ;)

18 years and counting in the USAF as a pilot. Lots and lots of 85 hour weeks, gone for months at a time, getting shot at, etc. Not a lot of time for a family. I didn't get married till almost 31 and I just had my first kid at 40. I'm on mil leave from Delta and will go back there when I finish my 20 in the USAF. From then on I'll have 15 or 16 days a month to do whatever I want (watch my daughter grow up, build a plane, fly warbirds, etc). I wouldn't change anything about my career; I've been very blessed. I do caution people looking to fly (especially fighters) in the USAF - it has changed a lot in my time. More work, less fun, more work, less flying and did I mention more work? :p

You fly the JZ F-15 to the MacDill show this weekend?

Back