Pet Peeves

Companies that sell online with no disclaimer of what you have placed in your shopping cart is not available and/or will have to be back ordered. I could have bought the same tools elsewhere (which has such disclaimers) at a slightly higher price and with faster shipping. :mad:

At Home Depot in the tools section, they have these little cameras, with screens that display what they're recording. Set up with motion detectors, so that when you walk down the aisle they set off loud chimes.

I get it...they're there to reduce theft. But they make me feel like a criminal. So Lowe's gets my business instead.

Fortunately, they're both equidistant from my house.

Agree. Hate those things. Even our grocery store added them on certain aisles.

That said, WalMart has had bejillions of cameras for decades and even paid to pioneer some of the early storage and review systems, they’re utterly paranoid and always have been.

But the interesting tidbit most people didn’t know or it never registered with them, is that there’s always been twice the number of cameras in the employee-only areas than the customer areas.

Guys that touch the glass in the cockpit. Unless it's *actually* a touch screen, keep your damned fingers off it. I don't like looking at your oily-ass fingerprints all over the place.

Agree. Hate those things. Even our grocery store added them on certain aisles.

That said, WalMart has had bejillions of cameras for decades and even paid to pioneer some of the early storage and review systems, they’re utterly paranoid and always have been.

But the interesting tidbit most people didn’t know or it never registered with them, is that there’s always been twice the number of cameras in the employee-only areas than the customer areas.

I don't think the issue is so much a business having surveillance cameras in place. What @SoCal RV Flyer is referring to is an actual display in the aisle. the home depot near the rough part of town has them in the aisle with lots of small fittings that can be pocketed easily. it even shows a pre-recorded clip of the "video room" with an attendant pointing to the monitor and acting like they caught you.

The jackwagon in the gravel truck who left a 3 lane wide trail of debris on my commute this morning. My 3 month old car now has multiple dings in the hood and fenders plus various chips in the windshield. This was on I-75 NB about 40 miles N of Atlanta. The gravel truck (or whatever) was far enough ahead of me that I never saw it, but the debris was thick enough that he couldn't have been more than a couple of minutes ahead of me... Grrrr.

I don't think the issue is so much a business having surveillance cameras in place. What @SoCal RV Flyer is referring to is an actual display in the aisle. the home depot near the rough part of town has them in the aisle with lots of small fittings that can be pocketed easily. it even shows a pre-recorded clip of the "video room" with an attendant pointing to the monitor and acting like they caught you.

Covered that in the first sentence of the reply. The point was there’s a lot more cameras watching you than the obvious one in the aisle. That’s just a crappy camera there to make you think twice. The camera in the ceiling has a lot better resolution. And then there’s three times the number of cameras watching employees than are watching you, because guess what Security people know — Be it physical security OR network security — the people stealing more often from a business and for much larger damages, aren’t the customers. It’s the employees.

In the late 90's there was a store that kept the condoms near the registers with RFID security tags on them because there had been too much theft. Now, I don't condone theft, but I'd rather have lowlifes stealing and USING condoms than going without them.

In the late 90's there was a store that kept the condoms near the registers with RFID security tags on them because there had been too much theft. Now, I don't condone theft, but I'd rather have lowlifes stealing and USING condoms than going without them.

Here they keep the mouthwash locked up. The brands that have alcohol in them, that is. Also vanilla extract is locked up.

Guys that touch the glass in the cockpit. Unless it's *actually* a touch screen, keep your damned fingers off it. I don't like looking at your oily-ass fingerprints all over the place.
If you frequently fly AC that have Garmin 430/530 and others that have 650/750 that's an easy mistake to make. So far I've managed to avoid it but I've seen others do it.

If you frequently fly AC that have Garmin 430/530 and others that have 650/750 that's an easy mistake to make. So far I've managed to avoid it but I've seen others do it.

Makes sense. I'm not lucky enough to fly anything with touchscreens. :)

Here they keep the mouthwash locked up. The brands that have alcohol in them, that is. Also vanilla extract is locked up.

I used to be in a civic group whose periodic roadside cleanup included the on-ramp from next to Kmart to the bypass. I was shocked by the number of empty vanilla bottles we picked up there every time . . . .

Quityerbitchin' , Most of us aren't lucky enough to fly glass. ;)

It's different for certified, but glass is cheaper for an experimental than a decent 6-pack of steam (or electric gyro) gauges. So nice that we're starting to have STCs so owners of certified aircraft can upgrade to some of these systems for less $$$$$. Let's hope that trend continues.

http://grtavionics.com/home/efis-systems/sport-ex-efis/

I forgot about this one but I've been dealing with vendors a lot recently...

"That's a (good/great/excellent) question."

When the decision maker asks a question this filler phrase goes in the response seems instantaneous while the person saying it attempts to formulate a response. It's the equivalent of 'umm' or 'well.'

Meanwhile those of who are not the decision maker ask many questions, none of which are recognized for its goodness, greatness, or excellence.

Meanwhile those of who are not the decision maker ask many questions, none of which are recognized for its goodness, greatness, or excellence.

So you’re saying you had a business lunch with the Senator? LOL.

I forgot about this one but I've been dealing with vendors a lot recently...

"That's a (good/great/excellent) question."

When the decision maker asks a question this filler phrase goes in the response seems instantaneous while the person saying it attempts to formulate a response. It's the equivalent of 'umm' or 'well.'

I throw vendors off with my response:

"I know it's a good question. That's why I asked it."

We made a game of it a few years ago. We tallied up the number of "good questions" each of us asked during a demo.

I had the third highest score, but like everything these days we were all winners.

We made a game of it a few years ago. We tallied up the number of "good questions" each of us asked during a demo.

I had the third highest score, but like everything these days we were all winners.

Anytime a vendor is buying lunch, you’ve already won.

The rest is just parlor games. :)

I think my best vendor lunch in the last few years was the guy who paid for a rather nice dinner (steak and beer as I recall) who wanted to get a better feel for why we were planning on dumping his product to the tune of a $15,000/mo bill.

We still dumped the product, and I tried to tell him we could discuss it in five minutes over the phone, and it’d save him the hassle of driving over and taking me to dinner, but he insisted.

It was a product that we found a $3000/Mo replacement for that did more and was better all around. He knew this was what we were replacing his with before we went to dinner. I was just floored he still wanted to buy dinner.

Nothing I said at dinner differed in any way from the phone call.

But I left full of steak and beer. Maybe he was just giving us a thank you for overpaying for years. Hahaha. I didn’t notice any food poisoning or anything afterward, either. :)

Sounds like a sale guy I worked with a few years ago. He was on his way over to the client and called to ask what the CIO liked from Starbucks. I told him I didn't recall seeing him with anything from there. He asked what I'd like from there and I said, "nothing."

So he shows up with four Starbucks's (is that a word?). He took his 'whatever it was' and offered us our choice of the remaining three.

He ended up throwing away the other three. And the client asked me what that was all about. And once again I got to say, "I don't know."

Why do escalators in airports have to have warnings blaring safety info nonstop while escalators in malls or any other public space seem just fine just operating? And every airport plays a different message; some warn riders to hold on while others drone on about watching your kids while some warn about the escalator ending soon. That tells me there is no standard escalator threat out there and I wonder how whoever decides what warning MUST be played for every rider during their entire trip decides what to record.

Seriously, they are spending money to make this annoyance happen. Why??

I’ve often been tempted to write the MTA asking why the escalator warnings on the NYC subway system are all in English. Also asking isn’t that discrimination? Or do they have some study concluding that only white people don’t have the knowledge to ride an escalator safely, and isn’t that discrimination, too?

Guess I missed the warning loop in the NY subway...

Back