Votes: 28 10.6%
  • 45-54

Votes: 29 10.9%
  • 55-64

Votes: 39 14.7%
  • 65+

Votes: 41 15.5%

• Total voters
I’m 23 and have been considering getting my CFI for quite some time, but with my work schedule being 15 days on 15 days off I dont think I would be doing my students any favors with that much time between flights.
It's good to be ethical but, especially on a part time basis, 15/15 on and off isn't necessarily a deal breaker assuming the prospective flight students are advised in advance. I went, and some students went two weeks between lessons many times. A big retention key is lots of hangar flying between lessons.

I think there is a stereotype among students and some older CFIs that younger CFIs can't possibly be as good as the older ones. They just don't have the experience! I have to admit, I actually thought the same thing. It is one reason why I chose an OLD guy for my Instrument Rating with thousands of hours of Dual Instruction. I thought, "this fella has tons of hours, he has to be an excellent instructor!".

He was good...but to be quite honest he wasn't any better than the younger instructors I had flown with. In fact, I still think the best instructor I ever had was a younger guy (now flying A10s in the AF - lucky SOB).

The bottom line - age has NOTHING to do with how good your instructor may be. Old age and experience does not automatically equate to a better instructor.

Some people might be able to relay more experience or stories because they are old but it doesn't mean they can teach and those stories don't necessarily translate into anything meaningful as far as education. Some people can teach and some can't. Doesn't matter what your age is.

Hello everyone!
My instructor is a 65+ cathegory. He is very experienced as he was a fighter pilot before. I like him a lot...can share a lot of experience with me.
I had a try flight before with a very young one. He was nice and I want to give a chance also for beginners but I ve felt he wantst to show me just how good is he..to impress me :)

The bottom line - age has NOTHING to do with how good your instructor may be. Old age and experience does not automatically equate to a better instructor.

Yup. True that. :yes:

Age isn't a prerequisite for ability however, the more hours go by in any pilot's airtime, the more likely they'll have additional info above the minimum required for any educational task. All other factors being equal, I'll go with the higher hours pilot.

I'm 51, and my instructor is probably in his mid-20s, which is fine by me.

In fact (and I know this is a bit of a religious argument when it comes to training, regarding mix of basic piloting skills, technology in the cockpit, etc), although I wouldn't have refused an older instructor, my preference was somebody younger who had "grown up" so to speak with all the modern technology in the cockpick, and was prepared to teach that along with the basics.

So far, I'm very happy with my instructor and feel it's a good fit. I feel I'm learning what I need to learn, at a pace that's good for me, and I don't feel like anything is being left out. I'm getting exposure to a little of everything, while still focusing on the basics.

First CFI was in late 20s, a year older than me and second CFI was in early 20s 3-4 years younger than me.

Back